just a pc needing to be built

Go to solution Solved by Entropy.,
47 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

what budget would you recommend.

For me it is about half work and half play i want to play in ray traced Minecraft well and a few other games but my work is Autodesk inventor, (filmora 9 just starting with i just got into this because of my friend), and abelton live.

for $2500 It's totally possible to have a 5900x build. Here, Have one: 

It's only $2200, so you can upgrade whatever you want. Case, storage, motherboard, cooler, hell, even the ram.

Budget :2500 us 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3d design/rendering, video editing/rendering, gaming, music production, listening to 6+ hours of music daily(C418), general school/work  

Other details (existing parts case, ssd, and hard drive, monitor needed, upgrading from i5-3470, going to buy near christmas , 1440p+ 144hz+,) it would be great if it could do ray traced Minecraft since i want to experience that conspired to my old nearly launching the game.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3NZgsX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($162.34 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($254.89 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($167.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING TRIO Video Card  ($749.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($124.99 @ Best Buy) 
Monitor: Gigabyte G27QC 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($299.98 @ B&H) 
Total: $2500.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-14 23:25 EDT-0400

I recommend waiting till RTX 3080's are in stock

The geek himself.

27 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Budget :2500 us 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3d design/rendering, video editing/rendering, gaming, music production, listening to 6+ hours of music daily(C418), general school/work  

Other details (existing parts case, ssd, and hard drive, monitor needed, upgrading from i5-3470, going to buy near christmas , 1440p+ 144hz+,) it would be great if it could do ray traced Minecraft since i want to experience that conspired to my old nearly launching the game.

I’m not sure I can build a system given the data available.  I can speak about criteria though. 

Video says lots of cores which generally says AMD cpu.  You can get more threads for less money.  There is a single exception in the Adobe suite where intel is generally faster.  They’ve got special stuff apple had Adobe and intel put in.  Nvidia has studio drivers which do 10 bit color. Useless unless you also have a 10 bit monitor, and if you’re doing video that will be run down to 8 bit color and shown other places it might actually be a hinderence.  Depends on the particulars of your work.  Nvidia also won’t buy you much in the ray tracing department.  Rtx on the 20xx cards has almost nothing on software ray tracing.   You might be beat served with a used vegaVII because it’s got 16gb of HBM memory.  Not sure.  It will be dependent on what software you use and how.

Id be tempted towards a 3900x on b550 or perhaps a threadripper system.  Lots of SSD sata storage, lots of memory.  I don’t know how useful nvme would really be.  There is an argument that the higher speeds of nvme over sata only help noticeably when very very large file transfers take place.  If you can’t get enough memory because the projects are simply too big a very fast nvme drive for swap might make some sense. There’s another work specific thing: how much memory you will need.  B550 tops out at 64gb which is why threadripper might be more useful.  It can hold more and it can do quad channel as opposed to dual channel (so the memory is a bit faster) 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

would a 5900x and 3080 20gb work if i can get them

your budget does not allow that

11 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

ray tracing is something i really want 

you can get ray tracing in any RTX card

14 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

ray tracing is something i really want 

Everything has ray tracing.  It can be done in software as easily as hardware.  

The 30xx series is much better at it than the 20xx stuff but it’s still sub adequate for a lot of things.  My personal suspicion is the hardware ray tracing capacity of the 3080 would need to double again before its truly useful.  It’s still a mostly software affair. 30xx cards might work well for you if the Nvidia stuff like studio drivers is stuff you need though.  One item of note is the 3080 has 10gb of slower memory than the vegaVII.  3080 is much much better at video games, but from the sound of things that wasn’t much of a factor.  It’s going to depend a lot on what you do specifically.  It could turn out the vegaVII sucks for your use case.  This is the problem.  I just can’t tell.  One big unknown is how the Nvidia cards will compare to the new AMD stuff.  If you’re not going to buy till November, I suggest holding fire and finding out what is on offer.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

31 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3NZgsX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($162.34 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($254.89 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($167.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING TRIO Video Card  ($749.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($124.99 @ Best Buy) 
Monitor: Gigabyte G27QC 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($299.98 @ B&H) 
Total: $2500.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-14 23:25 EDT-0400

I recommend waiting till RTX 3080's are in stock

Just... Why :(

Cooler: Why is it $162.... Just get a Sycthe FUMA for a 3700x, $60, and totally fine 
Motherboard you could just go for a B550 A-Pro, MSI's MPG x570 lineup is pretty notorious, and can have problems ranging from vrms to IO. 

Storage: Samsung is overpriced.

Video Card: @the gamer that is bad, You should wait until 2021-ish, Because New GPUs just launched, and if you went with a 2000 series card, You'd almost immediatly have an outdated card. 

PSU: It can sometimes have coil whine issues. When the Enermax Revolution D.F an the CXm 2018 are so close to that price, I don't understand why would you go with that. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Everything has ray tracing.  It can be done in software as easily as hardware.  

The 30xx series is much better at it than the 20xx stuff but it’s still sub adequate for a lot of things.  My personal suspicion is the ray tracing capacity of the 3080 would need to double again before its truly useful.   30xx cards might work well for you if the Nvidia stuff like studio drivers is stuff you need though.  One item of note is the 3080 has 10gb of slower memory than the vegaVII.  3080 is much much better at video games, but from the sound of things that wasn’t much of a factor.  It’s going to depend a lot on what you do specifically.  It could turn out the vegaVII sucks for your use case.  This is the problem.  I just can’t tell.  One big unknown is how the Nvidia cards will compare to the new AMD stuff.  If you’re not going to buy till November, I suggest holding fire and finding out what is on offer.

For me it is about half work and half play i want to play in ray traced Minecraft well and a few other games but my work is Autodesk inventor, (filmora 9 just starting with i just got into this because of my friend), and abelton live.

11 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

For $2500 I'd expect a 3080 and 5900x, something of the sort. It's in no means out of @the gamer that is bad's price range

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

3 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

My knowledge of autodesk is very very old.  There was a time when it demanded quadro and only quadro.  I suggest looking at that app to start.  It might still be Nvidia only.  Or it might not. It needing to run well will inform the rest of the build.

47 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

for $2500 It's totally possible to have a 5900x build. Here, Have one: 

It's only $2200, so you can upgrade whatever you want. Case, storage, motherboard, cooler, hell, even the ram.

39 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

atleast 2500$

1. That's his budget....

2. What did you say about a 5900x and 3080 20gb being out of budget? Cause' It isn't true.

Even if CPU and GPU prices are far higher, which I doubt highly, There's no way $2500 is not possible

8 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

1. That's his budget....

I get the feeling that the original post has been edited. Note that the 2500 budget is emboldened, which may indicate it was updated per suggestion. 

1 minute ago, trevb0t said:

I get the feeling that the original post has been edited. Note that the 2500 budget is emboldened, which may indicate it was updated per suggestion. 

Well, Firstly, I remembred it as $2500

Secondly, the first person to respond came up with a $2500 list lol

thank you for the help i have chosen the parts if i can get some of the parts *the elusive 3080*

6 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

thank you for the help i have chosen the parts if i can get some of the parts *the elusive 3080*

Information so far is that the shortage of 3080 cards may have been artificial, and that the announced “sale price” of the cards was never going to be actually adhered to except for a very few cards initially sold.  They apparently will be available in great quantities after October along with the AMD card, but they will not be available at the original sale price which may possibly have been an attempt at misdirection.  It is vague and confusing. 

1 hour ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Nice- But I'm not totally sure that you have a case? lol, also I'm wondering if you do need 64gb of ram, becaue alot of the time even 32 is quite overkill- However, I don't have expereince with what you're doing so I can't judge. In adddition, You have a Micro-ATX motherboard, so It will look a little small in a ATX (mid-tower) case. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Information so far is that the shortage of 3080 cards may have been artificial, and that the announced “sale price” of the cards was never going to be actually adhered to except for a very few cards initially sold.  They apparently will be available in great quantities after October along with the AMD card, but they will not be available at the original sale price which may possibly have been an attempt at misdirection.  It is vague and confusing. 

I hope you're right 

8 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I hope you're right 

I got no idea if that’s right or not.  Rumors are just rumors.