Is it ethical to sell a subpar AIB GPU?

MythicalSnake

Is it ethical to sell a subpar AIB GPU?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ethical to sell a subpar AIB GPU?

• Yes
    • No

So hear me out – I bought an MSI MECH OC RX 5700 XT about a year ago. It has served me well, although at -50% power draw. Unfortunately this particular model is quite awful. Temperatures reach into the high 80’s (Celsius), and the fans sound like a plane right about to take off. Not extremely pleasant, which is why I underclocked it. Since some new spicy GPU’s are on the horizon, I’m looking to upgrade to one of those. One of the main reasons is that I wouldn’t hate some more performance. On top of that, it’d be great to have hardware ray-tracing support, since the consoles will have the same.

In the meantime I’d be perfectly happy to use my old GTX 1060, but that brings me to my question: is it ethical to sell a subpar AIB GPU? I’ll obviously tell exactly which model it is, and I was able to confirm that I didn’t just get a bad unit – it truly is a pretty underwhelming aftermarket card. But it still doesn’t sit right with me that I’d be selling a GPU which I kind off hate. On the other hand though, I really, really want to get something nicer.

What are your two cents?

EDIT: brainfarted and called it "ARMOR OC", but that's MSI's branding for Nvidia cards. For AMD, it's MECH OC.

As long as you disclose up front that it's a POS, sure. If you suspect it leaks and sell it anyway, then you're a terrible person.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Sounds about what I'd expect out of an armour card

I wouldnt say theres anything wrong with selling it as long as you say the model

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Stick it on eBay for a cheap price and makea absolutely clear in the description that the card is noisy and slow. Include a video if possible so that they can gauge the noise level.

If someone knows exactly what they are getting, and still willingly pays for it, then how could that be unethical?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, aisle9 said:

As long as you disclose up front that it's a POS, sure. If you suspect it leaks and sell it anyway, then you're a terrible person.

Apologies for my stupid question, but what do you mean by leaking?

You should inform potential buyers about the problem 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

I would not put anything specific, just clearly mention the model and condition. Up to the buyer to go read reviews and decide for themselves whether it's a good choice or not.

You don't see your favorite store list items with a note that "it's a crap product, don't buy it". 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Slottr said:

Sounds about what I'd expect out of an armour card

I wouldnt say theres anything wrong with selling it as long as you say the model

Yup... Really unfortunate too, since the card AMD made is fantastic, and MSI's variant looks pretty nice, but it just performs poorly.

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

I would not put anything specific, just clearly mention the model and condition. Up to the buyer to go read reviews and decide for themselves whether it's a good choice or not.

You don't see your favorite store list items with a note that "it's a crap product, don't buy it". 

Yeah, but if you as the seller know that it's performing poorly? If I give you hundreds of dollars for an AIO GPU that you tell me is working just like the day you got it and I wind up with a 737-200 in my room and an overheating GPU, that's not exactly ethical, now is it?

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Yeah, but if you as the seller know that it's performing poorly? If I give you hundreds of dollars for an AIO GPU that you tell me is working just like the day you got it and I wind up with a 737-200 in my room and an overheating GPU, that's not exactly ethical, now is it?

As I understand it IS working like the day he got it. The product is just like that, it's not his doing and it's a fact you would know if you look it up, and if you gave the same amount to a store you'd get the same thing. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Stick it on eBay for a cheap price and makea absolutely clear in the description that the card is noisy and slow. Include a video if possible so that they can gauge the noise level.

If someone knows exactly what they are getting, and still willingly pays for it, then how could that be unethical?

True, that sounds like a great middle road. I'll just put it up for an attractive price, with clear warnings that it's loud AF, unless you underclock it by a bit (at which point it performs like a completely silent and cool RX 5700) using for example MSI Afterburner. Which is fortunately even provided in the form of a CD for those who care!

8 minutes ago, MythicalSnake said:

So hear me out – I bought an MSI ARMOR OC RX 5700 XT about a year ago. It has served me well, although at -50% power draw. Unfortunately this particular model is quite awful. Temperatures reach into the high 80’s (Celsius), and the fans sound like a plane right about to take off. Not extremely pleasant, which is why I underclocked it. Since some new spicy GPU’s are on the horizon, I’m looking to upgrade to one of those. One of the main reasons is that I wouldn’t hate some more performance. On top of that, it’d be great to have hardware ray-tracing support, since the consoles will have the same.

In the meantime I’d be perfectly happy to use my old GTX 1060, but that brings me to my question: is it ethical to sell a subpar AIB GPU? I’ll obviously tell exactly which model it is, and I was able to confirm that I didn’t just get a bad unit – it truly is a pretty underwhelming aftermarket card. But it still doesn’t sit right with me that I’d be selling a GPU which I kind off hate. On the other hand though, I really, really want to get something nicer.

What are your two cents?

I would say you are in the clear if you are honest. If they ask how loud it is, be honest! But many people expect that, especially from cheaper AIB cards.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Just now, Kilrah said:

As I understand it IS working like the day he got it. The product is just like that, it's not his doing and it's a fact you would know if you look it up.

That's fair. If the buyer doesn't ask questions, it's on them. Of course, if the buyer did ask questions, I would expect the answers to be, "It's a 737-200 at full takeoff thrust," and, "The GPU still runs in the mid-80s."

Obviously. But I would probably point to reviews instead, "loud AF" is subjective.

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's fair. If the buyer doesn't ask questions, it's on them. Of course, if the buyer did ask questions, I would expect the answers to be, "It's a 737-200 at full takeoff thrust," and, "The GPU still runs in the mid-80s."

Yeah, that might be the road I got to take. If I'd just formally put it up for sale, and then, if asked, provide an honest explanation of how exactly it runs.

2 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Look at this way, OP, would you be happy buying something "sub par"?

He is since he did :)

F@H

GPD Win 2

If it is performing to the spec it was designed then no its fine. If theres something actually wrong with it then just disclose that to the buyer. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

4 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Look at this way, OP, would you be happy buying something "sub par"?

Well I would, if the price was right and I was told it was "sub par" when I bought it...

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Well, it works as it should, it’s just a poorly performing model relative to other models. If the buyer cared they would look up reviews for said model. Unless it’s defective or not working, it’s not your responsibility to say “this card is hot and loud, but that’s okay because the manufacturers made it that way!”

cant believe there’s even a split decision for this

I wonder if this can't just be fixed with some DIY solution.

Granted, you prob don't want to do that prior to sale, but I know other models have been jury-rigged to the point of being better.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

32 minutes ago, johnsoner13 said:

it’s not your responsibility to say “this card is hot and loud, but that’s okay because the manufacturers made it that way!”

Yes it is!!!

If there is a problem with the card and you're selling it second-hand then not describing the problem could be illegal, at least where I come from. Granted that mostly applies when something has subsequently developed a fault, but I think the same ethics apply if it was no good to begin with.

In addition, by describing it, then you deter buyers who would otherwise purchase it and then return it finding it was not to their liking. At least, that's the theory.

35 minutes ago, johnsoner13 said:

cant believe there’s even a split decision for this

This comment comes across to me as rather arrogant, for a question which is a matter of opinion.

As if you know best, your opinion is the correct answer, and anyone who disagrees with you must be wrong because you can't possibly be.

pythonmegapixel

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

If there is a problem with the card and you're selling it second-hand then not describing the problem could be illegal, at least where I come from. Granted that mostly applies when something has subsequently developed a fault, but I think the same ethics apply if it was no good to begin with.

It doesn't have any fault. It just has properties that some people do not consider a great choice compared to similar available products, that's all .

F@H

GPD Win 2