Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Logitech G502 HERO SE - Yes or No? - Amazon Prime Day Deal

It's listed at £34.99 right now on Amazon, seems like its probably the lowest price its been on there, seems like a good deal or is there another mouse I should consider, thoughts?

 

I have read the mouse wheel can slip or has some problems, do I need to worry?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A big YES.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, just purchased mine so when my current mouse goes out, I have a backup

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List  ||Community Standards 

 

Lambda Specifications: 

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 900D  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't used that one specifically but I've had nothing but issues with Logitech mice. In the past 5+ years I've owned two different G502s (both 1st gen) and two G903s. My current mouse is the G903 Hero which Logitech sent me via warranty claim on my Gen1 G903. I had to solder on new switches for the lmb/rmb on each version of the G903 I own, didn't both on either G502 (one died from me spilling soda in it, the other I snapped a critical piece off of it.) All four mice have had the same thing in common: they double click and clicks fail while holding. It's an issue with the switches, Logitech knows this, and they refuse to change or fix it.

 

Not going to tell you not to buy it simply because that is a good price, but it's something to be aware of. If your buttons end up malfunctioning they're pretty simple to replace. Cheap soldering kits can be had off Amazon for like $10-$15. You'll also need to replace your teflon (PTFE) feet, a set of Tiger skates off itaktech runs about $7 (I wouldn't recommend running OEM skates, I'm using Tiger skates for the G903 Hero and they're much better than OEM.) The switches (I bought Omron D2F-01F (JAPANESE!)) are around $4-$8.

 

Best of luck, I liked the G502 when I used it, it's a tad on the heavier side though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really depends on what you play.

If you play everything but fps then its a pretty good deal.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mousesnob said:

Really depends on what you play.

If you play everything but fps then its a pretty good deal.

Well, thats awkward, I play quite a few fps games lol

Whys it not good for fps?

34 minutes ago, Mugnuf said:

Haven't used that one specifically but I've had nothing but issues with Logitech mice. In the past 5+ years I've owned two different G502s (both 1st gen) and two G903s. My current mouse is the G903 Hero which Logitech sent me via warranty claim on my Gen1 G903. I had to solder on new switches for the lmb/rmb on each version of the G903 I own, didn't both on either G502 (one died from me spilling soda in it, the other I snapped a critical piece off of it.) All four mice have had the same thing in common: they double click and clicks fail while holding. It's an issue with the switches, Logitech knows this, and they refuse to change or fix it.

 

Not going to tell you not to buy it simply because that is a good price, but it's something to be aware of. If your buttons end up malfunctioning they're pretty simple to replace. Cheap soldering kits can be had off Amazon for like $10-$15. You'll also need to replace your teflon (PTFE) feet, a set of Tiger skates off itaktech runs about $7 (I wouldn't recommend running OEM skates, I'm using Tiger skates for the G903 Hero and they're much better than OEM.) The switches (I bought Omron D2F-01F (JAPANESE!)) are around $4-$8.

 

Best of luck, I liked the G502 when I used it, it's a tad on the heavier side though.

Thanks for the heads up and advice, appreciated !

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Phantomx60 said:

Well, thats awkward, I play quite a few fps games lol

Whys it not good for fps?

If I had to guess, it's the weight, factory skates and possibly travel distance of the LMB before it actuates the microswitch. Shouldn't have anything to do with the sensor the mouse uses, as the HERO sensor is quite good.

 

13 minutes ago, Phantomx60 said:

Thanks for the heads up and advice, appreciated !

Yeah no problem. I don't tend to recommend Logitech to anyone I know anymore because they tend to build 'inferior' products at Razer prices. Their biggest issue is for whatever reason they can't use or manufacture microswitches which don't fail for their mice. Several of my friends have had to warranty their headsets too because they just snap or break in other ways. Logitech definitely seems to be going in the wrong direction with their quality, customer support in my experience was pretty ok. They had me go through a couple hoops to find the receipt for my G903 purchase. A few back-and-forth emails with the Best Buy manager at my local store, and he was able to retrieve it for me.

 

Again best of luck, it's not the best mouse but it's fine especially at that price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mugnuf said:

If I had to guess, it's the weight, factory skates and possibly travel distance of the LMB before it actuates the microswitch. Shouldn't have anything to do with the sensor the mouse uses, as the HERO sensor is quite good.

 

Yeah no problem. I don't tend to recommend Logitech to anyone I know anymore because they tend to build 'inferior' products at Razer prices. Their biggest issue is for whatever reason they can't use or manufacture microswitches which don't fail for their mice. Several of my friends have had to warranty their headsets too because they just snap or break in other ways. Logitech definitely seems to be going in the wrong direction with their quality, customer support in my experience was pretty ok. They had me go through a couple hoops to find the receipt for my G903 purchase. A few back-and-forth emails with the Best Buy manager at my local store, and he was able to retrieve it for me.

 

Again best of luck, it's not the best mouse but it's fine especially at that price.

Ngl, this does make me want to go for another mouse haha

 

I'm open to suggestions and can wait for black friday/xmas tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Phantomx60 said:

Ngl, this does make me want to go for another mouse haha

 

I'm open to suggestions and can wait for black friday/xmas tbh.

Haha, sorry. I'm not too well versed in the mouse scene as I've been using a G903 for the last 3+ years, before that was the G502 for again like 4 years and before that were 2 Razer Deathadders. Honestly, all mice are going to die or fail at some point. I absolutely love my G903 Hero after I replaced the microswitches and put the Tiger skates on. I charge this thing once every 2-3 Weeks, I swear. Even if these new microswitches fail after a couple years, it's a total investment of a whopping $5-8 per year and an hour of time. That's a deal.

 

For alternatives, here's Rting's ranking of best 'gaming' (I hate this term) mice. https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming

 

Some anecdotal stuff:

My friends play CS:GO and some more experience with different mice and their use in FPS games, but  I can give some third-party knowledge of their adventures.

  • Friend X warranty claimed his Model O (not sure why)(he likes the Model O), bought a Razer Viper Ultimate (returned it, weird issue with the laser 'switch'), now uses a G Pro Wireless now that he's warranty claimed twice (microswitches failing.) He's liked all 3 mice, but each had an issue.
  • Friend A had a G403 that the microswitches did the double clicking thing, Friend A sent him a Model O and he's fine now.
  • Friend H has used various mice, including a G403 (which he recommended to Friend A) but I'm not sure what he uses now. His G403 also had microswitch issues, he's had a Model O, etc.

I still think the G502 is fine for that price and even if you do need to replace the switches, I'd warranty claim it with Logitech to get a second one and just replace the hardware on the first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mugnuf said:

Haha, sorry. I'm not too well versed in the mouse scene as I've been using a G903 for the last 3+ years, before that was the G502 for again like 4 years and before that were 2 Razer Deathadders. Honestly, all mice are going to die or fail at some point. I absolutely love my G903 Hero after I replaced the microswitches and put the Tiger skates on. I charge this thing once every 2-3 Weeks, I swear. Even if these new microswitches fail after a couple years, it's a total investment of a whopping $5-8 per year and an hour of time. That's a deal.

 

For alternatives, here's Rting's ranking of best 'gaming' (I hate this term) mice. https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming

 

Some anecdotal stuff:

My friends play CS:GO and some more experience with different mice and their use in FPS games, but  I can give some third-party knowledge of their adventures.

  • Friend X warranty claimed his Model O (not sure why)(he likes the Model O), bought a Razer Viper Ultimate (returned it, weird issue with the laser 'switch'), now uses a G Pro Wireless now that he's warranty claimed twice (microswitches failing.) He's liked all 3 mice, but each had an issue.
  • Friend A had a G403 that the microswitches did the double clicking thing, Friend A sent him a Model O and he's fine now.
  • Friend H has used various mice, including a G403 (which he recommended to Friend A) but I'm not sure what he uses now. His G403 also had microswitch issues, he's had a Model O, etc.

I still think the G502 is fine for that price and even if you do need to replace the switches, I'd warranty claim it with Logitech to get a second one and just replace the hardware on the first.

I think you're right tbh, at this price and hopefully the warranty being good, I should be fine and not need to worry

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Phantomx60 said:

Ngl, this does make me want to go for another mouse haha

Haha i didnt mean to scare you away from the mouse, the g502 is an excellent all around mouse, it really just depends on how picky you are or how competetive your are. The main factor is just the weight and size isnt ideal for flicks and such.

 

Ive seen the razer viper on sale pretty often and you might get that for cheaper actually. But you should get the 502 if you want it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This mouse isn't worth $10.

 

It has a widely reported switch defect. My second one in the last 12 months has failed. The left-click double clicks on its own up to 25% of the time. 

 

Logitech cheaped out a few years ago and went with garbage switches on this model. The Proteus Core that I had for many years was perfect (with the old switches). Do not buy a Logitech product with switches from this supplier. 

 

 

 

Capture.PNG

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geo3 said:

No. Get a G305 instead. 

Does it have the same garbage switches? If yes, then stay far away. Don't even take it for free. It will be a paperweight within 6 months.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, mousesnob said:

Haha i didnt mean to scare you away from the mouse, the g502 is an excellent all around mouse, it really just depends on how picky you are or how competetive your are. The main factor is just the weight and size isnt ideal for flicks and such.

 

Ive seen the razer viper on sale pretty often and you might get that for cheaper actually. But you should get the 502 if you want it.

 

4 hours ago, applebook said:

This mouse isn't worth $10.

 

It has a widely reported switch defect. My second one in the last 12 months has failed. The left-click double clicks on its own up to 25% of the time. 

 

Logitech cheaped out a few years ago and went with garbage switches on this model. The Proteus Core that I had for many years was perfect (with the old switches). Do not buy a Logitech product with switches from this supplier. 

 

 

 

Capture.PNG

Well, I went ahead and bought it before these replies and I was just admiring the smooth scroll lol

I guess I'll keep an eye out for a razer viper or something on black friday then return this one, I could even wait until christmas since the return policy has been extended until 31 Jan 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Update for anyone checking out this post late: Tried it and actually loving it tbh so I kept it, bit awkward shape at first but got used to it in a day or so, it felt a little heavy (thats without any extra weights) but got used to that as well. Just hoping mine doesn't develop any of the problems discussed here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×