Miami-based tech company suffers massive 1TB customer and business data leak

HempBoosh

Summary

Intcomex has suffered a major data breach, with nearly 1 TB of its users’ data leaked. The leaked data includes credit cards, passport and license scans, personal data, payroll, financial documents, customer databases, employee information and more. 

Quotes

“Intcomex internally detected and responded to a cyber attack involving some of our systems. Upon learning of the incident, we took decisive steps to address the situation and protect our systems. We immediately engaged third-party cybersecurity experts to assist us in the investigation and we have implemented additional enhanced security measures. We also notified law enforcement. We are notifying affected parties as appropriate. Services provided to our partners have not been impacted. The security of our systems and data remains a top priority.”

What data is included?
According to the leaker, the full database of the Intcomex leak included the following data:

Credit cards, including the full number, expiration date, CVV2, and the holder’s full name
Document scans, including US and Latin American passports, social security scans, driver license scans, and more
Personal data, such as social security numbers, dates of birth, zip codes, addresses, and more
Payroll information
Bank documents
Accounting and finance documents
Customers’ databases
Employee information
Contragents databases (although we are unsure what this means at the moment)

My thoughts

This is one of the bigger leaks I've seen this year, but I'm glad that the companies are being professional about this and addressing the issues. The amount of data leaked is also really bad, can't believe that credit card data is not secured properly. Oh, and of course the hacker was Russian 😆

Sources

https://cybernews.com/security/miami-based-tech-company-suffers-massive-1tb-data-leak/

Just now, HempBoosh said:

Oh, and of course the hacker was Russian

Is this really surprising anymore?

1 minute ago, HempBoosh said:

The leaked data includes credit cards, passport and license scans, personal data, payroll, financial documents, customer databases, employee information and more. 

That is alot of info.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Spoiler

image.png.f2100e80428326b3105c21dbc868741d.png

Did it copy background color for you? My eyes hurt.

4 minutes ago, Loote said:

image.png.f2100e80428326b3105c21dbc868741d.png

Did it copy background color for you? My eyes hurt.

yeah i could barely read it

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motheboard
    MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
  • RAM
    CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black
  • GPU
    MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Gray
  • Case
    CORSAIR - iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case - Black
  • Storage
    WD - Blue 500GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
  • PSU
    CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
  • Display
    Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black
  • Keyboard
    Razer Cynosa Chroma
  • Mouse
    Razer Mamba Elite
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home

this is bad. Like, real bad. Frickin passports and payroll info. Stuff like that, and some hacker has access to all of that. Hopefully police get involved

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motheboard
    MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
  • RAM
    CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black
  • GPU
    MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Gray
  • Case
    CORSAIR - iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case - Black
  • Storage
    WD - Blue 500GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
  • PSU
    CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
  • Display
    Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black
  • Keyboard
    Razer Cynosa Chroma
  • Mouse
    Razer Mamba Elite
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home

55 minutes ago, Phoned_ said:

yeah i could barely read it

Oof, sorry about that. I didn't notice because I'm using the default background. I'll try fixing it

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Never dealt with them and this seems to mainly target folks south of the border.

South America, but yeah. Looks to be a distributor such as CDW and D&H. I could be wrong though.

Did they not have the financial stuff and personal information encrypted? How the hell were they able to get all that? Someone was lax on security. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

49 minutes ago, Pickles - One of the Jar said:

Did they not have the financial stuff and personal information encrypted? How the hell were they able to get all that? Someone was lax on security. 

yea, it's pretty bad.  PCI DSS exists for a reason (and even if full compliance isn't achieved...because lets face it it is rare that a company follows it 100%, the majority of it should be treated as needed).  Encryption, keeping data separate (and having super sensitive information as secure as possible)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Trying to figure out what the company even is, to determine possible personal involvement.

upon reading this https://www.intcomex.com/about-us/

it appears at least that the original purpose of the company was to export IT stuff from the US to Latin America. 

This would make them a tech company, which makes this kind of thing doubly embarrassing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I bet ya My information is all over the place by now But I only have 5$ in my bank account sooo.... Yea.... It ain't worth your time hackers... you guys wouldn't want my identity as well I have terrible credit if you take my identity I can only say thanks creditors will come after you from now on LOL.  

16 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

yea, it's pretty bad.  PCI DSS exists for a reason (and even if full compliance isn't achieved...because lets face it it is rare that a company follows it 100%, the majority of it should be treated as needed).  Encryption, keeping data separate (and having super sensitive information as secure as possible)

Most actively avoid having to do so by using payment gateways and processors and keep zero credit card payment information, that's what we do for everything other than our physical card payment equipment in the cafeterias and shops but those sit on dedicated VLANs and also process externally. That physical equipment has to be PCI DSS complaint though, which affects our network cabling wise and configuration wise.

The best option, at least in my eyes, is to avoid anything that requires PCI DSS at all costs. Literally pay more, have a higher TCO, just to not have to deal with it. Don't mess with that shit.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Most actively avoid having to do so by using payment gateways and processors and keep zero credit card payment information, that's what we do for everything other than our physical card payment equipment in the cafeterias and shops but those sit on dedicated VLANs and also process externally. That physical equipment has to be PCI DSS complaint though, which affects our network cabling wise and configuration wise.

The best option, at least in my eyes, is to avoid anything that requires PCI DSS at all costs. Literally pay more, have a higher TCO, just to not have to deal with it. Don't mess with that shit.

Yea, I was the one tasked to ensure compliance at one of the places...due to getting significantly better rates for credit card transactions. [Same approach though, PCI DSS complaint terminals on a separate VLAN, where the devices themselves encrypted fully before even hitting the network and sent to the gateway].  With that said, that still puts it in the class of PCI DSS - SAQ B-IP [I'll say it is unnecessarily burdensome even in cases where data isn't exposed...which is why it's rare to find a company that follows it 100%].

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we can both agree that a large chunk of concepts in PCI DSS should be followed when dealing with cardholder or sensitive data (to minimize the impact like above)  [Like database encryption, network monitoring, mitigation plan in an event of a breach, changing admin passwords periodically]

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 10/15/2020 at 6:49 AM, rawrdaysgoby said:

I bet ya My information is all over the place by now But I only have 5$ in my bank account sooo.... Yea.... It ain't worth your time hackers... you guys wouldn't want my identity as well I have terrible credit if you take my identity I can only say thanks creditors will come after you from now on LOL.  

why have security when there's nothing to secure?

GENIUS!!!

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

On 10/14/2020 at 6:56 AM, valdyrgramr said:

Never dealt with them and this seems to mainly target folks south of the border.

Most likely you haven't, but that's the worst part: you wouldn't even know. They offer B2B services, meaning they probably were handling these data on behalf of other, customer-facing companies.

In that regards it would be comparable to Equifax: they didn't have your data because you gave it to them, but because someone else passed it on to them....

Reminds me of what happened to NCIX's servers after the company went under. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580