Am I The Only One???

Elad.Evron

Am I the only one that says stuff on the forum confidently but at the back of my head I always hope Im not giving bad advice or spreading wrong info. Like I recomoned someone to buy a prebuilt and I felt fine with that recommendation, but I really hope im not givving crap advice.... 

Am I the only one who feels like that?? 

I mean, I say things and then google them right away to fact check myself so mood. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

I mean, I say things and then google them right away to fact check myself so mood. 

I do that all of nthe time lmao 

Can't help everyone, but I ain't stopping you... Bad advice might be worse than none if people choose not to read topics with comments, thinking help is no longer required.

9 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

Am I the only one that says stuff on the forum confidently but at the back of my head I always hope Im not giving bad advice or spreading wrong info.

I don't think anyone is ever 100% sure on their advice when there are so many variables involved and I don't think anyone wants to give bad advice (well.. maybe some people it seems).

This is why it's important to lay out your uncertainties and also why it's important to look at other people's posts, to make sure the OP has the most accurate info.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, RageTester said:

Can't help everyone, but I ain't stopping you... Bad advice might be worse than none if people choose not to read topics with comments, thinking help is no longer required.

I dont try to to give bad advice and I stay in my the places im more familiar with......

Things aren't always black and white. Like if someone asks me should I use liquid-metal on GPU? The common sense answer usually isn't worth it.

I tried that three years ago with 1080Ti. The improvement was 3C. Lately I just use it on 5700XT out of boredom. Surprise, surprise. I got 8C difference compares to Kryonaut. What do I know!

Sometimes, which is why I'm always in ot, gd and news. Tho cuz it's a forum, others that stumble upon it can give another opinion and correct you if needed

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

There will always be a better build for someone than what you give them, but some people need an advise and if they are honest for what they want, you will give them something 80-90% close to what they need.

I only give answers when I know what I'm talking about and I mostly stick to technical questions. I avoid all of the opinion based "should I buy this or that" stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I think for most stuff your intent is everything.

They're not engineering rocket ships here it's just retail consumers comparing notes mostly.

That is why I think it is always nice to get a large amount of replies when asking a question.

So you can get a consensus. 

Plus if you start always saying stuff that is stupid wrong. 🤪

I think people will likely get to know that and say to themselves hey don't listen to that guy lol.

😁 

14 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

Am I the only one that says stuff on the forum confidently but at the back of my head I always hope Im not giving bad advice or spreading wrong info. Like I recomoned someone to buy a prebuilt and I felt fine with that recommendation, but I really hope im not givving crap advice.... 

Am I the only one who feels like that?? 

I don't feel that way because if there is something I am not confident in then I don't pretend to be confident about it. I let it be clear that I lack knowledge in that area, or I don't comment at all.

If there is something I have knowledge about then I usually double check even if I am sure about what I am saying. Googling sometimes only takes a couple of minutes and can save someone bad advice.

As @RageTester said, bad advice might be worse than none. I'd say that's usually the case.

It's better to say nothing at all, than to say something that is wrong.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't feel that way because if there is something I am not confident in then I don't pretend to be confident about it. I let it be clear that I lack knowledge in that area, or I don't comment at all.

If there is something I have knowledge about then I usually double check even if I am sure about what I am saying. Googling sometimes only takes a couple of minutes and can save someone bad advice.

As @RageTester said, bad advice might be worse than none. I'd say that's usually the case.

It's better to say nothing at all, than to say something that is wrong.

I dont pretend to know stuff I dont, but I hope that I actoally give good advice about the stuff i do know 

Look, when somebody asks for advice it's on them if they get the wrong information, not you. It's their responsibility to look this stuff up, and they've chosen to ask and take the risk that goes along with that.