Is a used i7-5960X worth the money?

Hey, so I’ve got a i7-6800K in my desktop PC and an X99A-II motherboard that I’ve grown rather fond of. I saw some i7-5960X CPUs on eBay that are actually fairly low priced. With custom loop cooling + aggressive overclocking how much more performance do you think I’d be able to get? GPU is a Vega 56 

You haven't mentioned the price, so we can't really tell you if it's worth it.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

2 minutes ago, Arbiter01 said:

The range of pricing I saw was between 160$-200$

Id guessing it won't be worth it for gaming?

What overclock can you get on your current cpu?

@Electronics Wizardy I went up to 4.2 but ended up turning it back to stock because Haswell doesn’t benefit all that much from overclocking. There was definitely cooling headroom for higher though. 

You'd probably not see too much better performance, if any. While you do get 2 more cores and 4 more threads, you're also losing frequency and IPC.

1 minute ago, Arbiter01 said:

@Electronics Wizardy I went up to 4.2 but ended up turning it back to stock because Haswell doesn’t benefit all that much from overclocking. There was definitely cooling headroom for higher though. 

what performance benfit does it give you? Im guessing the benfit is still pretty reasonble.

But for games alone the extra cores won't help too much. A newer platform would probably help much more.

Mostly just higher benchmark scores. Gaming didn’t noticeable change. The cores I considered mostly bonus points and future proofing, I was more interested in the potential 4.7+ ghz overclocks that the 5960X could do. 

You're more likely to find better performance with a new CPU platform for the same net cost. X99 is great, but going back from Broadwell to Haswell to seek better performance is more indicative that you need a platform upgrade than slightly more overclocking potential.