Primocache or Intel RST or other?

Go to solution Solved by RejZoR,

RST is crap because it's volatile. If you remove the cache drive or it fails, you'll lose ALL the data. Which is just idiotic. Where PrimoCache is non-volatile. If cache fails, you just lose caching (unless you were also doing write caching). You can also remove the cache at any time without any complications and just offers you a lot more control over the caching process. Tried RST few years ago and I wasn't impressed. PrimoCache still impresses me. PrimoCache has 30 days trial so just give it a try and see for yourself. If I'll ever have to go back to hybrid storage again it would be PrimoCache again for sure. Currently I have 2TB SSD and 8TB HDD for hoarding purposes. But before I had 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD and it worked exceptionally well. System was quieter and super snappy, basically just like now with full SSD. ANd since you have Optane, you can try the write caching too since Optane has huge write capacity. Might make writing faster too, not just reading.

I have an intel optane 32 GB ssd, with their intel rst software, but I was wondering if I should maybe switch to primocache or something else?

I am referring to this video from 2018, but a lot of things can happen between that time and now, so was wondering what cache-solution is the best in 2020?

So, what would be the best solution for me to use with an HDD(only for games, but not my main games, those are on a ssd..)

RST is crap because it's volatile. If you remove the cache drive or it fails, you'll lose ALL the data. Which is just idiotic. Where PrimoCache is non-volatile. If cache fails, you just lose caching (unless you were also doing write caching). You can also remove the cache at any time without any complications and just offers you a lot more control over the caching process. Tried RST few years ago and I wasn't impressed. PrimoCache still impresses me. PrimoCache has 30 days trial so just give it a try and see for yourself. If I'll ever have to go back to hybrid storage again it would be PrimoCache again for sure. Currently I have 2TB SSD and 8TB HDD for hoarding purposes. But before I had 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD and it worked exceptionally well. System was quieter and super snappy, basically just like now with full SSD. ANd since you have Optane, you can try the write caching too since Optane has huge write capacity. Might make writing faster too, not just reading.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 11:07 AM, RejZoR said:

Wow, thanks for the input! I'll think I will try the free trial and see if it`s better or not in terms of performance. 

Thanks again

13 minutes ago, Im_Ben said:

Wow, thanks for the input! I'll think I will try the free trial and see if it`s better or not in terms of performance. 

Thanks again

Performance wise RST and PrimoCache are about the same. But Primocache is just a safer option that is easier to manage and has some extra tweaks like how write caching is done if you decide to use it and also has RAM caching if you have plenty of it.

23 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Performance wise RST and PrimoCache are about the same. But Primocache is just a safer option that is easier to manage and has some extra tweaks like how write caching is done if you decide to use it and also has RAM caching if you have plenty of it.

Oh wow, yeah, I have some ram that I don't "use" atm.