Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

G-sync a deciding factor?

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my GTX970 to either a RTX3080 or AMD "Big Navi".  Do you think G-sync should be a big deciding factor on switch card to buy? If Big Navi and the RTX3080 are close enough in performance, would I be missing a lot not using G-sync? I bought my monitor base on SRGB/Adobe RGB coverage and the 120Hz it can run at. The G-sync was a bonus at the time. Just wondering your thoughts. thanks.

Personally, I cant really game without it. When I tweak things and test different setups, I cringe at screen tearing now.. before I ever had a Gsync/Freesync monitor.. it never really bothered me or I never really noticed it.. but now?? its not something I think I could game without anymore. 

PSU Tier List Thread

Please make sure to Quote me or Tag me to see your reply!

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-16-36 3600mhz | Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asus B450-F Strix | 32gb Gskill Flare X 3000mhz | Corsair RM550x | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2 | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'd say an adaptive framerate monitor is a must for me. If you're not willing to sell your monitor to instead get a FreeSync and GSync compatible one, then maybe best to stick with Nvidia. If you're willing to change monitor, you're no longer restricted by monitor compatibility.

11 minutes ago, 83Endlesss said:

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my GTX970 to either a RTX3080 or AMD "Big Navi".  Do you think G-sync should be a big deciding factor on switch card to buy? If Big Navi and the RTX3080 are close enough in performance, would I be missing a lot not using G-sync? I bought my monitor base on SRGB/Adobe RGB coverage and the 120Hz it can run at. The G-sync was a bonus at the time. Just wondering your thoughts. thanks.

For me it's not a deciding factor. I won't not buy a monitor just because it doesn't have G-sync/freesync. If I experience screen tearing, I would just lock the framerate in game to what my system can handle and set my monitor's refresh rate to the same hertz.

If you already have the G-Sync monitor and intend to keep it, might as well just go with the 3080.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you already have the G-Sync monitor and intend to keep it, might as well just go with the 3080.

You might as well.

Everyone says wait for big navi, but every year everyone says wait for AMD but we always end up being disappointed.

I doubt AMD can match the 3080, heck right now they can't even match the 2080ti.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:41 PM, 83Endlesss said:

Hi all,

For me, it's the greatest computer tech invention since SSDs came along. It makes a huge difference in gaming. I can't imagine going back to a fixed rate monitor.

Just don't get the cheaper, old type TN panel!