10900k - Temperatures, Should i go for OC?

Mithi

Hey,

In standard bios config, without OC, only with XMP enable my 10900k go to 4900 bost on all cores.
In short test (for example one run of cinebench) it warms up to 70'C - 75'C. It does not start to throttle .
But in longer cycles, + 60sec cinebench, blender test, temperatures go above 80'C for moment and in go down to stable 4400. When on 4400 average temp is around 67'C.

The temperature at rest and lightly loaded is about 35'C.

My spec:
Corsair Obsidian Series 500D SE RGB
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB PRO
Corsair H115i RGB Platinum RGB 2x140mm
Core i9 10900k
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero Wi-F

At the moment I'm not sure if it should overclock the processor at all.
Is this normal, maybe I installed the cooler incorrectly?
I will be grateful for Your help.

5 minutes ago, Mithi said:

Hey,

In standard bios config, without OC, only with XMP enable my 10900k go to 4900 bost on all cores.
In short test (for example one run of cinebench) it warms up to 70'C - 75'C. It does not start to throttle .
But in longer cycles, + 60sec cinebench, blender test, temperatures go above 80'C for moment and in go down to stable 4400. When on 4400 average temp is around 67'C.

The temperature at rest and lightly loaded is about 35'C.

My spec:
Corsair Obsidian Series 500D SE RGB
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB PRO
Corsair H115i RGB Platinum RGB 2x140mm
Core i9 10900k
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero Wi-F

At the moment I'm not sure if it should overclock the processor at all.
Is this normal, maybe I installed the cooler incorrectly?
I will be grateful for Your help.

That's pretty normal temps to be honest. It won't thermal throttle until 99C, but you want to keep below 90C really. So you have room for some overclocking, yes.

Your clock speed goes down to ~4400MHz not because of thermals, but rather because of the default power limit.

Go into the BIOS, and look for something along the lines of a Short Duration Power Limit and a Long Duration Power Limit, and max those out (you can just type in 99999 and they'll go to the max 4095, or whatever it is). After that, you should see it run at 4.9GHz on all cores, even in longer duration workloads.

Whether you want to overclock past that, it's up to you (and obviously other factors like thermals, silicon quality, etc.).

I'd try and stay under ~85C under real-world workloads, under ~95C in Prime95 Small FFT, under 1.4V on the Vcore and under 1.3V on the VCCSA and VCCIO (though you won't need anywhere close to 1.3V on the SA/IO since you're just running bog standard 3200 CL16 memory).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

do you need more power?

are you comfortable with the temps?

have you checked temps under loads that would be realistic for you?

do you know how to over clock?

personally i dont like my CPU going over 75c, even with my OC it tops out at about 68c under real life loads.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

All answears are pretty helpfull. 

Now i don't, need more power, cause i am still on 1080, w8 for my 3080 (nvidia suplly problem). 

However, I needed to know if everything was fine with the CPU and cooling. Now that you say the temperatures are normal, maybe I will try to crank up the CPU to 5.0-5.1 at temperatures lower like 85-90'C to be ready for 3080.