zen 3 vs zen 2 ryzen cpu choosing

ZEN 2 VS 3   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which cpu should i go for?

• Ryzen 7 3700x 8 cores Zen 2
    • Ryzen 5 5600x 6 core Zen 3

hi guys! im building a pc this novemeber as my first build and im stuck in  sticky situation to choose a cpu

firstly i currently am thinking of getting a ryzen 7 3700x becvause i want to stream and game with smoothness

but as you know there is the new 5800x which is 100 aud more

is it really worth it? is a newer generation 6 core 5600x zen 3 better than a 8 core 3700x zen 2 ? or should i stick with zen 2 8 cores for the bang for the buck?

thanks guys! any suggestions would be helpful!

I don't have experience with streaming, but this might be a situation where more cores might be worth it over faster cores.

Whichever CPU you go for, assuming you have a new enough mobo, you can still replace the CPU if your demands are greater in future.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5600X, and stream using your GPU (Nvidia's hardware encoder was already the way to go with Turing, hopefully AMD's will be at least on par with that with RDNA2).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, porina said:

I don't have experience with streaming, but this might be a situation where more cores might be worth it over faster cores.

Whichever CPU you go for, assuming you have a new enough mobo, you can still replace the CPU if your demands are greater in future.

well put, 80 percent of me is sticking with the 3700x 

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

5600X, and stream using your GPU (Nvidia's hardware encoder was already the way to go with Turing, hopefully AMD's will be at least on par with that with RDNA2).

do you think the faster cores and speed of the zen 3 ryzen 5 would be worth it with less cores?

Just now, FEAR_malik said:

do you think the faster cores and speed of the zen 3 ryzen 5 would be worth it with less cores?

Since, from what I understand, this will be purely for gaming, I'd say so.

What GPU do you plan on getting for this system?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Since, from what I understand, this will be purely for gaming, I'd say so.

What GPU do you plan on getting for this system?

well, im also stuck on whether i should go full AMD with radeon big navi 6000 series or maybe even a nvidia 3070 

Are you planning to get an Nvidia GPU?  Because if so, then just get a 3600 and use the Nvenc chip for streaming.  There's not much point to software encoding unless you're getting an AMD GPU, since they have a horrible hardware encoder.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, FEAR_malik said:

well, im also stuck on whether i should go full AMD with radeon big navi 6000 series or maybe even a nvidia 3070 

Well by the time Zen 3 is out, reviews on the 3070 should already be out (since it launches about a week before Zen 3 iirc?).

We don't know anything about RDNA2 though, specifically when it'll launch. AMD did say a while back that their new GPUs will be available before the next-gen consoles, so if that's to be believed... maybe RDNA2 is coming out around the same time as Zen 3? 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

There's not much point to software encoding unless you're getting an AMD GPU, since they have a horrible hardware encoder.

Eh, it's gotten a lot better with Navi from what I've heard (and after months of driver updates, of course). 

NVENC is still better, but it's not even close to being as bad as VCE on Polaris and Vega.

Question for those with actual experience of streaming: if you use GPU encoding, is there still some overhead in the streaming process that would benefit from more cores? That was my assumption. My thinking was that more cores may offer the "smoother" experience, even if not the highest possible fps should you be CPU bound. I assume people don't stream faster than 60fps anyway, so having higher average fps potential isn't beneficial? 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, porina said:

I assume people don't stream faster than 60fps anyway, so having higher average fps potential isn't beneficial? 

Even if not for the viewers, it is beneficial on the streamer's/player's end, primarily if they're playing competitively.

22 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Eh, it's gotten a lot better with Navi from what I've heard (and after months of driver updates, of course). 

NVENC is still better, but it's not even close to being as bad as VCE on Polaris and Vega.

The crashes have gotten better, but the support has gotten worse. AMD completely abandoned the OBS plugin.

13 minutes ago, porina said:

Question for those with actual experience of streaming: if you use GPU encoding, is there still some overhead in the streaming process that would benefit from more cores? That was my assumption. My thinking was that more cores may offer the "smoother" experience, even if not the highest possible fps should you be CPU bound. I assume people don't stream faster than 60fps anyway, so having higher average fps potential isn't beneficial? 

To a point, yes.  If you're using things like stream animations (such as a pop-up when someone subscribes), that still takes up some CPU power.  It's pretty small though.  If you are running your CPU at full load an animation is going to screw up your stream, but that's really only going to happen if you're using a 4C/4T CPU.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440