What memory should i buy

Hello, I don't really know a lot about building a pc and how to decide witch part's are the best for my build and for my use, i want to start editing and do all kinds of things but the main thing is gaming, I'm currently aiming for 4k gaming on 144 fps and above(maybe in 1 or 2 years i would be able to do), and i want to upgrade my ram to start editing, now i have corsair vengeance lpx cmk16gx4m2d3200c16, and i wanted to upgrade to 32 gb but the price is very high for 16 gb and i searched for alternative and found the corsair vengeance lpx cmk16gx4m2d3600c18, for the price of 16 gb of 3200 i can buy 32 gb of 3600, but the timings are better on the 3200, what should i buy?

My cpu : i9 9900k

My motherboard : asus rog strix z390-e gaming

My cooler : be quite dark rock 4 

I would like to see what you guys think and if you have other options i would love to hear them, the memory have to be very low profile because i don't have enough clearance with the cooler, 34 mm is the highest i can get

Thank you all for the help :)

Link's for the part's:

This is the ram i have now https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711BS87T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.mIGFbYPZERQG

this is what i think would be better https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RM39V5F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gUIGFb2E8YX0K

The bog standard answer is look at your QVL list.  It’s kinda useless for intel because basically all brands work, but it could be good for this.  The QVL list is a list of memory modules the motherboard maker actually physically tested and tuned for the motherboard. The handy bit is they save their tune profiles so you slap the memory in, hit a button, and poof your memory is tuned for max speed.  Doesn’t do a lot of good with intel but it’s a place to go.

there’s a download of the list available here

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The bog standard answer is look at your QVL list.  It’s kinda useless for intel because basically all brands work, but it could be good for this.  The QVL list is a list of memory modules the motherboard maker actually physically tested and tuned for the motherboard. The handy bit is they save their tune profiles so you slap the memory in, hit a button, and poof your memory is tuned for max speed.  Doesn’t do a lot of good with intel but it’s a place to go.

What i understand from this is that this is some kind of ram overclock or something, I don't want to overclock the ram, i wanted to know what ram should i buy to get the best performance out of my game and work's

Just now, raybwolf said:

What i understand from this is that this is some kind of ram overclock or something, I don't want to overclock the ram, i wanted to know what ram should i buy to get the best performance out of my game and work's

Yep.  A ram overclock isn’t like a cpu overclock.   They’re just saying “this is what this ram really does”.  You don’t have to hit the button. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yep.  A ram overclock isn’t like a cpu overclock.   They’re just saying “this is what this ram really does”.  You don’t have to hit the button. 

I don't want to overclock, it's already overclock xmp to 3200 mhz, but it's not helping with the amount of gb, I'm going to upgrade to 32 gb of ram and i wanted to know what will be the best ram for me

8 minutes ago, raybwolf said:

I don't want to overclock, it's already overclock xmp to 3200 mhz, but it's not helping with the amount of gb, I'm going to upgrade to 32 gb of ram and i wanted to know what will be the best ram for me

Yes.  So You said. I took that into account. *sigh* MHz goes up by speed, clocks go down by speed.   Everyone tests with intel when they make their memory so the chance of something not “working” is near zero as long as everything is the same.  Memory prices vary wildly sometimes by the hour, and it’s a price performance thing.  So I tell you to buy some this-and-such because it’s good value compared to other stuff two hours later it might not be.   That’s just a list of stuff that is guaranteed to work. 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Yes.  So You said. I took that into account. *sigh* MHz goes up by speed, clocks go down by speed.   Everyone tests with intel when they make their memory so the chance of something not “working” is near zero as long as everything is the same.  Memory prices vary wildly sometimes by the hour, and it’s a price performance thing.  So I tell you to buy some this-and-such because it’s good value compared to other stuff two hours later it might not be.   That’s just a list of stuff that is guaranteed to work. 

How overclock my ram will help me?, It's should be overclock at the factory to 3200mhz no?, And how will it will help me with the gb of the ram, i would upgrade to 32 gb from my 16 gb anyway, so is it will be better to buy the 3600mhz with 18-22-22-42 or the 3200mhz that i already have 16 gb of and it's the more expensive one with timing of 16-19-19-36

12 minutes ago, raybwolf said:

How overclock my ram will help me?, It's should be overclock at the factory to 3200mhz no?, And how will it will help me with the gb of the ram, i would upgrade to 32 gb from my 16 gb anyway, so is it will be better to buy the 3600mhz with 18-22-22-42 or the 3200mhz that i already have 16 gb of and it's the more expensive one with timing of 16-19-19-36

Timings are lower memory speed is the same, so more slower memory vs less faster memory. For things that only need 16gb old memory will be faster. For stuff that needs more than 16gb of memory old memory will be lots and lots slower. If you’re running out of memory you’re running out of memory.  If you can get another 16gb of the same speed and CAS as the previous memory you can add it to the old memory and get the best  of both worlds.  If it’s differently branded though you may have problems with OC because of that QVL thing if the memory is on the QVL.   Best results get another set of the exact same stuff to add because then you can just bump the speed and it won’t matter.  If you’re replacing memory though it doesn’t matter.  It’s intel.  Everything will work. 

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Timings are lower memory speed is the same, so more slower memory vs less faster memory. For things that only need 16gb old memory will be faster. For stuff that needs more than 16gb of memory old memory will be lots and lots slower. If you’re running out of memory you’re running out of memory.  If you can get another 16gb of the same speed and CAS as the previous memory you can add it to the old memory and get the best  of both worlds.  If it’s differently branded though you may have problems with OC because of that QVL thing if the memory is on the QVL.   Best results get another set of the exact same stuff to add because then you can just bump the speed and it won’t matter.  If you’re replacing memory though it doesn’t matter.  It’s intel.  Everything will work. 

Those memory that i think to buy is cheaper then what i have, if i want to buy 16gb of my memory it will be around 140 usd, the memory that i think to buy is around 150 for 32gb 3600mhz, i want to know if it's will be better for me to buy the 3600mhz instead of the 3200mhz

1 minute ago, raybwolf said:

Those memory that i think to buy is cheaper then what i have, if i want to buy 16gb of my memory it will be around 140 usd, the memory that i think to buy is around 150 for 32gb 3600mhz, i want to know if it's will be better for me to buy the 3600mhz instead of the 3200mhz

As a general rule MHz is better than cas, but cas also goes up with MHz.  Really high cas (above 20?) means it’s overclocked slower memory.  Of the two types you have listed the new ram is piles faster than the old ram.  The big deal though is if you are actually running out of memory.  If you do that the machine generally goes to swap (using the HD as memory) and things get glacially slow very fast.  RAM is tons and tons faster than even the fastest non volatile storage. Machine shouldn’t crash if it hits swap though it should just get stunningly slow. Actual out of memory errors are a 1980’s thing. 

As a general rule MHz is better than cas, but cas also goes up with MHz.  Really high cas (above 20?) means it’s overclocked slower memory.  Of the two types you have listed the new ram is piles faster than the old ram.  The big deal though is if you are actually running out of memory.  If you do that the machine generally goes to swap (using the HD as memory) and things get glacially slow very fast.  RAM is tons and tons faster than even the fastest non volatile storage. Machine shouldn’t crash if it hits swap though it should just get stunningly slow. Actual out of memory errors are a 1980’s thing. 

32gb should be enough for what i want to do, I don't think i would need any more, but i want to have better performance in games and editing faster, i want the best preference i need, i know that above 3600mhz won't gain anything with the i9 9900k

But is the 3600mhz really be better for me or is the 3200mhz will be better

22 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

i found my ram on the list. what now?

7 minutes ago, raybwolf said:

i found my ram on the list. what now?

More than 16gb will get you absolutely nothing in all but a very very few games.  More but slower memory will actually make gameplay slower.   I got the impression you were unsure what memory to buy.  The QVL list is merely a list of memory that has been tested.  It’s only perhaps helpful in shortening the list of memory brands and types to consider.  It has the advantage that timings and such have already been worked out for those sticks by the engineers which can save some time.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

More than 16gb will get you absolutely nothing in all but a very very few games.  More but slower memory will actually make gameplay slower.   I got the impression you were unsure what memory to buy.  The QVL list is merely a list of memory that has been tested.  It’s only perhaps helpful in shortening the list of memory brands and types to consider.  It has the advantage that timings and such have already been worked out for those sticks by the engineers which can save some time.

and how i can now that ram is the best for me and for my use?, i dont understand how to know what memory is better for me

i want the best performance of the pc in game and other application

if i want more fps in games on higher resolution should i buy the 3600 18c or the 3200 16c

1 minute ago, raybwolf said:

and how i can now that ram is the best for me and for my use?, i dont understand how to know what memory is better for me

i want the best performance of the pc in game and other application

if i want more fps in games on higher resolution should i buy the 3600 18c or the 3200 16c

3600 will be slightly faster.  

Just now, Bombastinator said:

even with the higher timing?

will it be faster on 4k?

Just now, raybwolf said:

even with the higher timing?

Yes. MHz generally beats cas.  They’re closer than they might be but cas goes up as MHz increases. If it was 3200 cas14 it would be perhaps different but it’s not. 

Yes. MHz generally beats cas.  They’re closer than they might be but cas goes up as MHz increases. If it was 3200 cas14 it would be perhaps different but it’s not. 

would it be possible to overclock them?, if i can overclock the 3200mhz it will be better?, and vice versa?

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M4K3600C16

I found that, but i didn't find place to buy it to my country

51 minutes ago, raybwolf said:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M4K3600C16

I found that, but i didn't find place to buy it to my country

Is there anything on the list you can?  If you can’t the list is useless

I didn't see both of the ram on the list

Only what I've got

Will the speed of my ram will be a bottleneck to other upgrades that i will make?

Like 4080 or something?

Check to see if your motherboard has T-topology layout our the other one (forget it's name) for RAM configurations.  If it has the same type of layout as my motherboard, it's actually "better" for the motherboard to have all memory channels populated.

Also, CL18 is garbage at 3600MHz, I would get a  higher tier kit if you can afford it.  

Definitely make sure the RAM is on your motherboard's QVL list, to be safe & make sure XMP will "just work" 100%.

I would look for something in the 3200-3600MHz range, if you go with 3200MHz look for CL14 or better, if it's 3600MHz look for CL16 or better.  Preferably voltage in the 1.3-1.4V range (1.35 or less is ideal so you can always fiddle with memory overclocking later).

Are you wanting to go up in capacity as well or stick with 16GB?

I have this particular kit & it's served me well, it's also Samsung B-Die so if you ever want to push your RAM tighter or faster than XMP, it performs excellent at that: https://smile.amazon.com/G-Skill-TridentZ-3600Mhz-PC4-28800-Channel/dp/B01MS6EL43/  Unfortunately it's not stocked directly from Amazon... and it's a lot more than your current RAM, price wise.  If you're fine with sticking with 16GB, you could look at some 4x4GB sticks, if your motherboard has the type of layout that prefers all RAM slots being populated...

Note that the old addage of "having all slots populated reduces your overclocking potential" does not apply with that layout... but you'd have to find out which your board has.

But yeah, generally speaking, 3200 CL14, 3600 CL16, anything "looser" than that is kind of a waste of money in my opinion, if you're looking for "better" performance.

Edit: Note that RAM speed is going to have the least effect on your performance out of pretty much everything in your system unless it is significantly gimped, like CL18 or something crazy at 3200MHz.

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

13 minutes ago, HoneyBadger84 said:

Check to see if your motherboard has T-topology layout our the other one (forget it's name) for RAM configurations.  If it has the same type of layout as my motherboard, it's actually "better" for the motherboard to have all memory channels populated.

Also, CL18 is garbage at 3600MHz, I would get a  higher tier kit if you can afford it.  

Definitely make sure the RAM is on your motherboard's QVL list, to be safe & make sure XMP will "just work" 100%.

I would look for something in the 3200-3600MHz range, if you go with 3200MHz look for CL14 or better, if it's 3600MHz look for CL16 or better.  Preferably voltage in the 1.3-1.4V range (1.35 or less is ideal so you can always fiddle with memory overclocking later).

Are you wanting to go up in capacity as well or stick with 16GB?

I have this particular kit & it's served me well, it's also Samsung B-Die so if you ever want to push your RAM tighter or faster than XMP, it performs excellent at that: https://smile.amazon.com/G-Skill-TridentZ-3600Mhz-PC4-28800-Channel/dp/B01MS6EL43/  Unfortunately it's not stocked directly from Amazon... and it's a lot more than your current RAM, price wise.  If you're fine with sticking with 16GB, you could look at some 4x4GB sticks, if your motherboard has the type of layout that prefers all RAM slots being populated...

Note that the old addage of "having all slots populated reduces your overclocking potential" does not apply with that layout... but you'd have to find out which your board has.

But yeah, generally speaking, 3200 CL14, 3600 CL16, anything "looser" than that is kind of a waste of money in my opinion, if you're looking for "better" performance.

Edit: Note that RAM speed is going to have the least effect on your performance out of pretty much everything in your system unless it is significantly gimped, like CL18 or something crazy at 3200MHz.

The layout is 288, thats all i know about that

I need a lower profile one sens i cant fit everything under the cooler, i want the beat thing at a comfortable price, not at the 300 usd, even 200 is high for me, but i can't find the best thing even to buy at or to my country, the best thing that i found was this https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M4K3600C16 but i couldn't find it in Amazon if I don't know if there is tax insurance from corsair and the price is very high

And i want to upgrade to 32gb

But I don't know if my motherboard will prefer 2 or 4 slots

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2Z3600C14 That one runs around $200 if you can find it, and has pretty great XMP profile settings.

Are you wanting to go up to 32GBs or stay at 16GB?  If you're fine with staying with 16GB, that lowers your "price bracket" by a good bit, since 32GB kits run a pretty penny in comparison.

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor