Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tips on Printers?

Hi, I'm currently looking to buy a printer and was wondering if there are things to look for and thing to avoid. I have yet to see a printer review as well so I'm not sure.

What I look for would be borderless A4 and good color reproduction, I'm not really sure what else to look for other than those.

Anyway, thank you for reading this, any inputs are welcomed

Laser printers - yes. Sure the printers are expensive upfront, and toner can seem expensive, but it's not a scam that costs more than blood.

Inkjet printers - hell no! The ink cartridges are tiny capacity for their size, more expensive per-litre than blood, and is often full of should-be-illegal DRM (see Lexmark) used to prevent people from using cartridges they refill or refilled by a third party instead of buying new brand-made ones which is where the margins for the printer makers are in inkjets.

Additionally laser printer toner is more stable and survives longer than inkjet cartridges if you're not printing every other day at least, as the ink in the cartridges eventually dries out forcing you to buy replacements.

Depends on your budget on what kind of pictures you like to print. My personal preference is a Canon IR or Image Runner 5500 series, combined with glossy photo paper, makes for really good prints. That of course is a fairly large office printer. Pretty much all current color laser printers will do a great job printing images and most of them can print without borders. I would only ever use an Ink-Jet printer if I were to install it in an environment where power delivery would be limited (like on a generator). Really good Ink-Jets like from Epson will set you back with expensive inks that will make having those images printed somewhere and sent it you a viable alternative. 

Getting a used laser printer means replacing the drums and of course the ink (called toner). That's usually not a big thing and can be done in seconds after having read the manual.

Getting a new laser printer will cost more but you will only have to replace the toner every 1500 to 2500 pages depending on size (usually).

Getting an Ink-Jet printer, while cheap, and there are many options out there, ink is fairly expensive and you you want to buy multiple cartridges at once if you plan to print a lot. 

A typical ink cartridge will last for 250 to 400 pages with some graphics on them and way less on photos.

So the little upfront cost of the device is just an entry into an abyss of reoccurring charges on new ink and gas while driving to store to replace it last minute.

In terms of color reproduction though, out of the box, many Ink-Jets above 70.- USD will do a really good job. Just make sure you get the right paper or you will have a bad experience.

For moderate to infrequent B&W printing my Epson inkjet is affordable to run.

If printing is something you only do when absolutely necessary it’s fine, if you are at all serious about printing avoid inkjet entirely.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I'd get an inkjet, preferably an HP and that's mainly because of their ink program. I've been on it for around five years now. You pay a monthly fee based on how much you print, not how much ink you use. So if you don't print a lot you pay like $3 a month (which even after an entire year is still less than cartridges at the store), and ink is sent to you via USPS and the cartridges are bigger than ones off the shelf. So you don't gotta worry about going to the store or running out, you're covered either way. I print very irregularly and have never had an issue with ink drying out, though I know it does happen.

Lasers are better built and will typically last longer, but from my experience the best color reproduction has been with inkjets. They ain't perfect but have come a long way. 

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@Technous285@Applefreak@NineEyeRon@Stylized_Violence Thank you for the answers regarding this. I'd like to also add that, I need one that's able to scan as well. Due to the recommendations on laser printer, I've my eye on HP Laser MFP 135a and an inkjet printer Canon PIXMA MP287,thoughts on these two will be welcomed, as for cost, the HP cost Rp1.800.000 and the Canon cost Rp1.000.000.

The laser printer seem appealing since from what you guys have said, it seems to last better compared to inkjet ones. I don't print everyday, but there are some times during my organizational times or college works, that I need to print hundreds of pages in a day or more, my experience with my prior Canon PIXMA MP237 was rather annoying but rather doable once I'm able to make it run whenever it goes 'sulk in the corner crying' but I'd love to avoid this hassle if possible, hence the appeal on the laser printers.

As for what Stylized Violence said regarding the HP inks, where you only need to pay by how much you print and the HP ink program. I'm not sure if that program exist here in Indonesia, but I'll take a look into it, I doubt it at the moment of writing this (just surface checked it, I don't think there's one here).

Despite the appeal on the laser printer, from my experience for couple of years from using the MP237 has been economical to say the least. It can work with a modified cartridge that can be refilled and the inks for these modified cartridge only cost me about $1 for a color, so it'd be about $4 for all CYMK. *I don't have the printer with me anymore. So I'd like to know if the cost for laser toner(this is the ink stuff right? CMIIW) is better compared to me getting the an inkjet with modifiable cartridge.

Thank you for reading and replying, the inputs are really helpful, have a good day.

I would try an Epsom Eco tank as its inc is claimed to last a long time.

If your looking for just black and white, and knowing you need to print a lot sometimes, I would say a Monochrome laser printer as you only need black toner.

Stay safe 😀

6 hours ago, Green Bear said:

I would try an Epsom Eco tank as its inc is claimed to last a long time.

If your looking for just black and white, and knowing you need to print a lot sometimes, I would say a Monochrome laser printer as you only need black toner.

Stay safe 😀

for things that I use personally, I do print them in monochrome especially if it's just materials for class or other sorts of related stuff. But I do print colored ones too, mainly drawings and such. You too stay safe.