What's a good monitor for 100-hour weeks of text work?

NewbieOne

As per title. Of course, no monitor is going to have a positive or even neutral effect on your health given so much exposure, but what's the best of the worst?

I currently have an AOC Q3279VWFD8, basically a budget 32'' IPS, which is a lovely monitor, especially for its price (a little more than $200). But I notice my eyes getting tired, me developing headaches and so on. Part of it is perhaps IPS, part the sheer size. Lower brightness settings feel as though too bright and too dim at the same time (it looks dim, but there's still so much glow coming at ya)… I wonder if I shouldn't perhaps just leave this monitor for gaming and buy a 24'' VA for work (flicker free + blue-light filter + whatever), or perhaps splurge out on a more expensive business monitor.

I'm sure we have a myriad of professional writers of one variety or another in this forum, so perhaps someone could recommend something on the basis of first-hand experience, and perhaps comment on IPS vs VA and 24'' vs 27'' vs 30+ at an office desk.

(No graphical/video work. It's just text for work, gaming otherwise.)

1 minute ago, NewbieOne said:

As per title. Of course, no monitor is going to have a positive or even neutral effect on your health given so much exposure, but what's the best of the worst?

I currently have an AOC Q3279VWFD8, basically a budget 32'' IPS, which is a lovely monitor, especially for its price (a little more than $200). But I notice my eyes getting tired, me developing headaches and so on. Part of it is perhaps IPS, part the sheer size. Lower brightness settings feel as though too bright and too dim at the same time (it looks dim, but there's still so much glow coming at ya)… I wonder if I shouldn't perhaps just leave this monitor for gaming and buy a 24'' VA for work (flicker free + blue-light filter + whatever), or perhaps splurge out on a more expensive business monitor.

I'm sure we have a myriad of professional writers of one variety or another in this forum, so perhaps someone could recommend something on the basis of first-hand experience, and perhaps comment on IPS vs VA and 24'' vs 27'' vs 30+ at an office desk.

Well, even my eyes get tired while attending online classes, the best solution, use the blue light filter, or even better (which i did) I got a pair of computer glasses! :)

YES, I RUN RAID 1 OVER RAID 0

REMEBER TO QUOTE 😜 

It's not monitor, it's mostly light you're using in your room. Must be very bright and the same amount everywhere (not point light). Most of people I know have not enough light for work. It's normal because for every day use this may be too bright.

If you have small room - about 300W bulb (equivalent in leds or other type of light) should be enough.

I'm working lot of hours every day without being tired.

32 inch in front of you face can be overwhelming.

You must lit the room the same brightness as your monitor, so when your eyes switch out the diaphragm won't adjust too much.

Another thing is making sure yuor eyes is moist enough.

Staring continuously people forget to blink that causes eye irritation. An eyedrop is handy.

Also staring to much on a single spot may cause the lens to get sore, like you would when holding a barbel too long.

Try staring some long distance thing once a while.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, NewbieOne said:

Im pretty sure that most new monitors should be flicker free, VA or IPS doesnt matter for that. Flicker free is talking about the backlight. Some monitors lower the brightness by having the backlight flicker at increasing speeds (depending on your brightness setting) to lower the brightness and not just dimm the lightsurce like newer monitors do. 

but just search fot the size and resulition you want (I think that if you work with it all the time then 1440P 27 inch should be nice) in amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-276E8VJSB-3840x2160-UltraNarrow-DispalyPort/dp/B07WKX11JY/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=monitor&qid=1602349980&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547807011%2Cp_n_feature_thirteen_browse-bin%3A17751773011|17751775011&rnid=17751770011&s=pc&sr=1-6&th=1

I would recomend this one, its 4K and native 10bit pannel with a USB hub built in (you dont really need the hub but why not) and its not that expensive. 

8 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

Im pretty sure that most new monitors should be flicker free, VA or IPS doesnt matter for that. Flicker free is talking about the backlight. Some monitors lower the brightness by having the backlight flicker at increasing speeds (depending on your brightness setting) to lower the brightness and not just dimm the lightsurce like newer monitors do. 

but just search fot the size and resulition you want (I think that if you work with it all the time then 1440P 27 inch should be nice) in amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-276E8VJSB-3840x2160-UltraNarrow-DispalyPort/dp/B07WKX11JY/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=monitor&qid=1602349980&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547807011%2Cp_n_feature_thirteen_browse-bin%3A17751773011|17751775011&rnid=17751770011&s=pc&sr=1-6&th=1

I would recomend this one, its 4K and native 10bit pannel with a USB hub built in (you dont really need the hub but why not) and its not that expensive. 

there is also a version without docking but according to amazon the pannel is worse but its still above 100% of SRBG and its still native 4k and 10 bit 

1 hour ago, NewbieOne said:

From personal experience working long hours from home there are several things that can help:

1. Get a business class monitor (AOC, DELL, EIZO, IIYAMA) with height adjustements

2. Make sure to have 120 or 144 hz refresh rate

3. An IPS or AH-IPS panel is a must have

4. Make sure the room you work in is well lit

5. Avoid having a ceiling light shine onto your monitor, use indirect light. A basic floor lamp with an upwards facing cone would be your start. If you feel like diy, a LED light behind a bookshelf for example would work. make sure to mount it that it will shine up and down with the mounting hardware either screwed into the wall or the bookshelf itself, get some tinted acrylic at the bottom to diffuse the light. 

6. If you can afford a set of them, Philips Hue lights are a great way to adjust room light depending on the time of day and with dimming you can boost light in the room while it's cloudy outside.

7. I have not found blue light screens to make an improvement

8. Take regular brakes and do gymnastics or some kind of exercise. A cardio trainer can be your friend if you have limited space and time.

9. Most importantly: Get an office chair that is rated for long hours and make sure to have crack a window from time to time (or run the AC on vent, if you have one).