*Rant* Why is Windows 10 Bluetooth controller support so poorly integrated?

Recently I've become increasingly frustrated by how poorly xbox controller support is implemented in Windows. Specifically, how complicated it is to use one controller switching between multiple computers. For whatever reason, Microsoft decided it was a good idea for controllers to not show up on the "connect" menu in the notification panel. This means that in order to connect a controller to your computer you have to actually open settings and go to bluetooth devices. On top of that, if the controller has been previously connected to your computer, you can't just click on its name to pair it. You have to remove the device from your computer's recognized bluetooth devices and then scan for new devices and add the controller all over again like you would the first time you ever connect it. This makes it a huge pain if you frequently switch the controller between different devices, as each time you use it on a different device you have to perform all the previously listed steps. It would be so much easier if Microsoft would make controllers appear in the bluetooth connect menu of the notification panel. Then all you would have to do to switch the controller between devices is put it into pairing mode, and select the controller in that menu. Much more simple and user-friendly.

Maybe I'm just stupid and there's a way easier way to do this already that I'm not aware of, but if there is it clearly wasn't obvious enough for me to figure out.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

These are kind of known issues. People that try to use an Xbox controller in Windows through bluetooth do often encounter issues. I just bought my controller with the Xbox Wireless Adaptor and it works flawlessly, it's really worth getting. After all there's a reason they're selling it.

Personally I don't really have issues with Windows's bluetooth integration in other areas like when connecting to speakers, mice and other devices though.

Controllers are shown as connected devices, at least DS4s. I can turn on the controller and it automatically connects to the pc.

It's probably a Microsoft thing used to force users into buying the wireless adapter.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

Because Microsoft at heart isn't good with modern computing in the consumer space, still stuck in 1999. And they strongly dislike games too. Only reason they do games at all is because their uber guru some 20 years ago said something about "conquering the living room"...

I'm not why you'd want to know this as it is not changeable or negotiateable, but hey there you go. :)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

welcome to Windows where nothing is well integrated. ever used bluetooth headphones with Windows? it's just clumsy and unneccesarily annoying.

So show me operating system that is better integrated with so many various hardware out of the box. Good luck.

46 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

So show me operating system that is better integrated with so many various hardware out of the box. Good luck.

of course. i present you macOS.

if i wanna connect my headphones via bluetooth all i need to do is this:

1817375888_Screenshot2020-10-10at16_36_25.png.6409b5b902c100b870fbd71a2b7ec4a5.png

it might not have the best out of the box support for odd hardware, but most of the standard stuff you'd want to use works well and is easier to set up and use than it is on Windows.

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

1817375888_Screenshot2020-10-10at16_36_25.png.6409b5b902c100b870fbd71a2b7ec4a5.png

it might not have the best out of the box support for odd hardware, but most of the standard stuff you'd want to use works well and is easier to set up and use than it is on Windows.

MacOS is probably the one thing apple makes that I kind of like. Too bad I have to get a mac device to actually use it.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

21 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

MacOS is probably the one thing apple makes that I kind of like. Too bad I have to get a mac device to actually use it.

well, i actually really like Mac devices but 1 i'm a fangirl and 2 i don't play games anymore so it's prefectlyl suited to me :)

She/Her

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

MacOS is designed for limited number of hardware, so it can be very stable, especially when people using only original Mac. But I'm asking about flexibility and being able to handle almost every hardware on the market. Then your great MacOS becomes not so good.

Another thing that make difference is how people react to incompatible hardware. Windows users complains about system and looking for solution. Mac users complain about additional hardware and looking for alternative, compatible one (system must be perfect, it's never system fault).

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

But I'm asking about flexibility and being able to handle almost every hardware on the market. Then your great MacOS becomes not so good.

i mean, Windows isn't perfect. especially 10. it bricked a lot of stuff compared to 7.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Another thing that make difference is how people react to incompatible hardware. Windows users complains about system and looking for solution. Mac users complain about additional hardware and looking for alternative, compatible one (system must be perfect, it's never system fault).

that's not true lol

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

that's not true lol

It's true. For example - my friend complains about Windows and how this system is stupid because can't find his gamepad (bluetooth). Then he tried the same in MacOS (he is Mac freak) and... still nothing, gamepad was not visible even for Mac. So I asked him then is MacOS sucks too. No, of course no, it's obviously gamepad problem. Sure, I agreed, but why he starts blaming Windows first without even check what is really wrong? Well, it's typical Mac freak behavior - Windows is always bad, because it is not "great" MacOS.

My win10 has all stuff working well, nothing is broken compared to win7.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:58 AM, WaggishOhio383 said:

Recently I've become increasingly frustrated by how poorly xbox controller support is implemented in Windows. Specifically, how complicated it is to use one controller switching between multiple computers. For whatever reason, Microsoft decided it was a good idea for controllers to not show up on the "connect" menu in the notification panel. This means that in order to connect a controller to your computer you have to actually open settings and go to bluetooth devices. On top of that, if the controller has been previously connected to your computer, you can't just click on its name to pair it. You have to remove the device from your computer's recognized bluetooth devices and then scan for new devices and add the controller all over again like you would the first time you ever connect it. This makes it a huge pain if you frequently switch the controller between different devices, as each time you use it on a different device you have to perform all the previously listed steps. It would be so much easier if Microsoft would make controllers appear in the bluetooth connect menu of the notification panel. Then all you would have to do to switch the controller between devices is put it into pairing mode, and select the controller in that menu. Much more simple and user-friendly.

Maybe I'm just stupid and there's a way easier way to do this already that I'm not aware of, but if there is it clearly wasn't obvious enough for me to figure out.

So I don't have the XBox controller (well I have the old wired 360 one) Microsoft added quick connect feature to Windows 10, but way towards the end of life of the XBox One... So maybe, hopefully, the XBox One X controller will support it. Please note that you do need a compatible Bluetooth adapter for this. And so far, I think only the ones in the late Surface products have it, and a few OEMs systems. It's sadly, not clear which device has or hasn't, as its not advertised.

On top of that, you need a good Bluetooth stack/driver. For example, I used to play with Wii emulator (I have the system and games), to experiment, even used my Wiimote as a PC remote to experiment. And, like many, I had to pick a specific USB Bluetooth adapter for it to be able to connect with the Wiimote. Many it didn't work, or like in my case, before I got a better Bluetooth adapter, it would not keep a connection. The Wiimote goes to sleep, and voila, connection gone.

The big problem, is that Bluetooth is shit. It was designed for file transfer and that is all. Everything else are tacked on patch works and workaround, to make things work. For example, did you know, that back in Bluetooth 3.0 days, when you streams audio from your device, your device had to play it, but basically, mute your speakers, to decompress the audio, only for Bluetooth to listen to it, re-compress it in isn't own format, stream it to the device, to decompress it and play it to its speakers. Talking about shit implementation. Of course, that changed when companies found solutions and implemented into the standard, but it is all iffy. Heck, despite 2020, still today, people have problems with select phone on their brand new car (although, this is a less of a problem, as you can use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, which kinda by-passes the issue). So the "Test your phone at the dealership before buying" still holds true today.

But it is true, that it would not kill Microsoft to have a quick connect panel next to the system clock, instead of the useless legacy Bluetooth panel, to at least make it easier for incompatible devices to connect to the system.

• 1 year later...

On 10/10/2020 at 6:24 PM, homeap5 said:

win10 has all stuff working well, nothing is broken compared to win7.

I'm a year late, but I'm with this person. By the time Windows 10 came around, everything just kinda worked for me. That carries to Windows 11. I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky, or I know how to avoid upsetting Windows these days.

Anyway, the reason I'm here is to say that connecting Xbox controllers via standard Bluetooth SUCKS anyway. The input lag is absolutely horrendous. My "Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows" finally kicked the bucket yesterday, and I've been playing with normal Bluetooth while I wait for a new one to arrive. Oh my god, it is so bad I could scream. I've used it before with the same issues but the input lag is so bad, I'm only on the other side of my bedroom from my PC, it's not like I'm in another room, but the delay can be upwards of like half a second at times, and it'll play catch-up and register all my inputs at once. I'm honestly not sure if I'd prefer it to drop inputs over that behaviour, I might.

Anyway x2, GET AN OFFICIAL ADAPTER. I've been using them for about a decade starting with the 360 version, and it's life changing, I promise.