How many lumens do i need for keylight and fill light?

Since i have very limited budget and no income atm (broken leg), I have to make sure that i got the right item otherwise i'll just gonna waste my money.

When it comes to keylight and fill light? i am gonna use LED but how many lumens do i need? i did my research but none seems to give a clear answer.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

On 10/9/2020 at 3:50 AM, Ya_Mi said:

Since i have very limited budget and no income atm (broken leg), I have to make sure that i got the right item otherwise i'll just gonna waste my money.

When it comes to keylight and fill light? i am gonna use LED but how many lumens do i need? i did my research but none seems to give a clear answer.

The short answer is, it depends.

The long answer is, it really depends.

We need some more information:

• Are you going to be taking photos or video?
  • What environment are you going to be working in? Indoors? Outdoors? How much control do you have over the light that already exists in your space?
  • How far away are these lights going to be from your subject(s)?
  • Are these lights going to need modifiers for the look you're shooting for?

Basically, if you want an exact answer to "how many lumens do I need", you'd have to give us a Cine Designer file and a render of what you hope the final effect would look like.

That's not how lights are bought, what you really want is something adjustable.

That being said, if you just want an off-the-cuff number, get something that says it can do up to a 1000W tungsten equivalent. That'll be enough to light most basic scenarios that you might want starting off. Take a look at the Aputure C120d or C120d Mark II

On 10/9/2020 at 10:23 PM, LyondellBasell said:

We need some more information:

• Are you going to be taking photos or video?
  • What environment are you going to be working in? Indoors? Outdoors? How much control do you have over the light that already exists in your space?
  • How far away are these lights going to be from your subject(s)?
  • Are these lights going to need modifiers for the look you're shooting for?

Hi sorry i am late

1. Video

2. Indoor (bedroom), only ceiling light which is just typical 12W LED
3. -+ 1 Meter or less
4. Not really

On 10/9/2020 at 10:23 PM, LyondellBasell said:

Take a look at the Aputure C120d or C120d Mark II

Man they are kinda pricey, i am on really tight budget atm cuz of what happened to me.

2 hours ago, Ya_Mi said:

Man they are kinda pricey, i am on really tight budget atm cuz of what happened to me.

In that case it's probably best to find a bright lamp or several that fits within your budget and either bounce it off the wall, shoot it through a sheet, or make a homemade softbox.

17 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

In that case it's probably best to find a bright lamp or several that fits within your budget and either bounce it off the wall, shoot it through a sheet, or make a homemade softbox.

I've already have the softbox, just need to find the correct light bulb.

I think i've figured it out since i shoot with a smartphone, i'll need to blast as much light as i can cuz the camera sensor in a smartphone is so small and correct me if i am wrong, i can't find 5500K light bulb, only 6500K but thats okay right? because i can fix the color temperature in post?

On 10/11/2020 at 8:02 AM, Ya_Mi said:

I've already have the softbox, just need to find the correct light bulb.

I think i've figured it out since i shoot with a smartphone, i'll need to blast as much light as i can cuz the camera sensor in a smartphone is so small and correct me if i am wrong, i can't find 5500K light bulb, only 6500K but thats okay right? because i can fix the color temperature in post?

Yes, the more light you can give yourself, the better your end-image will be.

As far as color temperature goes, 6500K is going to be a little bit on the cooler side, or more blue.

You can adjust the color temperature right there in-camera, but if for some reason you had no way to adjust it, I'd recommend going with a slightly warmer light rather than a colder one, cold light tends to be less flattering for skin tones.

9 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

You can adjust the color temperature right there in-camera, but if for some reason you had no way to adjust it, I'd recommend going with a slightly warmer light rather than a colder one, cold light tends to be less flattering for skin tones.

I can, and i also can fix it in post.

Thanks for the help :D

On 10/9/2020 at 4:50 AM, Ya_Mi said:

Because there is no clear answer. The factors determine how much light you need (room size, color, distance, set up, the look your going for). The advice i'd give is the brightest light you can afford that is also dimmable. 

GVM is a company I can recommend for budget lighting. They have really good products even for the price.