Louis Rossmann points out some facts LTT got wrong in DriveSavers video

asquirrel

Jessa Jones figured out the speaker IC issue. NOT driversavers. Jessa told Drivesavers about it. Linus then credits DriveSavers, not Jessa Jones, with figuring this out. On one hand, a nearly impossible fact to figure out beforehand without going through all of Jessa's videos. That also assumes you even know to check Jessa's videos. On the other hand...they know Louis. They can ask him questions. /discuss

Literally came to post about this. This needs to be rectified by both drive savers and LTT

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Came to say this, drivesavers has been really shitty about recovering data and it’s been WEL documented. I don’t know how Linus allow this to go up

I think the framing of this forum post is wrong. How was Linus supposed to know Drive Savers didn't originate the technique or that he needed to fact check them or that he should contact Louis to ask. This is a VERY easy mistake to make and if anyone should be held to blame its  Drive Savers for either not specifying or straight up lying.

I do think though that while Drive Savers is very sus right now its a bit too soon to say Drive Savers was trying to steal credit for this. It is very possible there was a miscommunication somewhere and someone in the chain of people the information had to go through to reach Linus assumed that Drive Savers originated the technique.

I doubt all the techs know where all the techniques they have picked up originated and if I was working there and was spreading information on a technique I would probably phrase it to my co-workers as "we finally know how to solve this problem" not "Thanks to Jessa Jones we finally know how to solve this problem". 

Either way the fact that she was not credited is terrible and I do think there should be at least some sort of tweet to correct this misinformation if not a mention on wan show.

Edited by Drazil100
Added some additional information on my reasoning

If the abundance of misinformation on TechQuickie that has gone without correction is any indication, I doubt they’ll go back and edit it. The fact that they were paid to make the infomercial itself complicates it even more. 

That said, it’s pretty rich that Linus dropped a video a day later going on about how they don’t do sponsored spots that they can’t stand behind. Kinda hard to stand behind your sponsored spot if you’re just regurgitating talking points that the sponsor told you to say, isn’t it?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

20 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

That said, it’s pretty rich that Linus dropped a video a day later going on about how they don’t do sponsored spots that they can’t stand behind. Kinda hard to stand behind your sponsored spot if you’re just regurgitating talking points that the sponsor told you to say, isn’t it?

Is that a new policy? Because they have taken sponsors they have no experience with plenty of times in the past.

I think LTT needs to give Jessa Jones credit for finding the issue, but I doubt they'll make a correction considering driversavers sponsored the video.

And the LTT driversavers video is just bad overall, because drivesavers couldn't find the issue, and drivesavers aren't the best solution for repair,as they can charge $900-2000 for a repair.

16 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

That said, it’s pretty rich that Linus dropped a video a day later going on about how they don’t do sponsored spots that they can’t stand behind. Kinda hard to stand behind your sponsored spot if you’re just regurgitating talking points that the sponsor told you to say, isn’t it?

A) No one is perfect and mistakes are bound to happen.
B) They have good history with the company especially given the tour and the fact they let Linus into their clean room and try to swap a drive head so their guard was probably down with this sponsor.
C) I do not think we have enough information on how this mistake occurred to know that drive savers was actually trying to not credit Jessa Jones.

What matters in my opinion is how this is dealt with. I am definitely very suspicious of Drive Savers right now but I honestly don't think Linus should be blamed unless he works with them again without specifying what happened. 

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think LTT needs to give Jessa Jones credit for finding the issue, but I doubt they'll make a correction considering driversavers sponsored the video.

Did Jessa actually find the fix for the issue? I haven't watched Jessa's video but I looked at the link OP posted and Louis said:
"Jessa actually credited the people that heealped her... come to the conclusion that this was the issue before sharing it with everyone".

How do we know Jessa isn't just guilty of exactly the same thing they are accusing DriveSavers of doing? Maybe there is evidence in the video of her figuring it out herself, but in general when there is words against words like in this case and one side is very heavily pushing their agenda like Jessa is doing then I get a bit suspicious.

But like I said, I haven't watched her video so maybe I got the wrong idea and there is proof that she came up with the solution herself.

58 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Did Jessa actually find the fix for the issue? I haven't watched Jessa's video but I looked at the link OP posted and Louis said:
"Jessa actually credited the people that heealped her... come to the conclusion that this was the issue before sharing it with everyone".

How do we know Jessa isn't just guilty of exactly the same thing they are accusing DriveSavers of doing? Maybe there is evidence in the video of her figuring it out herself, but in general when there is words against words like in this case and one side is very heavily pushing their agenda like Jessa is doing then I get a bit suspicious.

But like I said, I haven't watched her video so maybe I got the wrong idea and there is proof that she came up with the solution herself.

I watched the video the OP posted, Jessa Jones contacted DriveSavers on what the issue actually was, and DriveSavers wanted all the credit going to them for finding the fix.

That seems much more suspicious to me, some corporation wants all the credit, even though someone else found the issue, I'm not sure if Linus is to blame here but this is a sponsored video, I don't bother watching the sponsor ads myself, although Linus could've consulted with Louis Rossmann first to find out how trustworthy DriveSavers are.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I watched the video the OP posted, Jessa Jones contacted DriveSavers on what the issue actually was, and DriveSavers wanted all the credit going to them for finding the fix.

That seems much more suspicious to me, some corporation wants all the credit, even though someone else found the issue, I'm not sure if Linus is to blame here but this is a sponsored video, I don't bother watching the sponsor ads myself, although Linus could've consulted with Louis Rossmann first to find out how trustworthy DriveSavers are.

That's not my point.

My point is that you said Linus should give credit to Jessa for finding the solution. My response was "but was it Jessa that actually found the solution and deserve credit?". Maybe Jessa doesn't deserve credit either, and the real finder of the fix is some unknown person from the community?

You have to remember that Jessa is also a corporation and might want credit for something someone else found.

he mentions he does not hold linus at fault, i saw the video earlier, Ltt didn't get any facts wrong other than what was pointed out in a paid sponsor.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

he mentions he does not hold linus at fault, i saw the video earlier, Ltt didn't get any facts wrong other than what was pointed out in a paid sponsor.

I'm...not convinced that you understand the gravity of that mistake.

I didn't get anything wrong about you, except that your mother didn't die when you were 8.

I didn't get anything wrong about you, except that you are not a felon.

I didn't get anything wrong about you, except that your puppy did not bite your nuts off (and you don't have a puppy!)

...Like, do you see how that is not at all a minor thing to get wrong? DriveSavers charges $1000 for $100 repairs, and then have the stones to take credit for something they didn't figure out themselves. That isn't a small thing. Jessa shared how to fix that issue with them because she wanted as many iphones to work again as possible. But DriveSavers turned around and decided to use that to be as greedy as possible.

It would be like your girlfriend loving me instead of you for the flowers you bought her, because I told her I bought them. Even though you have the receipt. Cmon man...

3 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

I'm...not convinced that you understand the gravity of that mistake.

I didn't get anything wrong about you, except that your mother didn't die when you were 8.

I didn't get anything wrong about you, except that you are not a felon.

I didn't get anything wrong about you, except that your puppy did not bite your nuts off (and you don't have a puppy!)

...Like, do you see how that is not at all a minor thing to get wrong? DriveSavers charges $1000 for $100 repairs, and then have the stones to take credit for something they didn't figure out themselves. That isn't a small thing. Jessa shared how to fix that issue with them because she wanted as many iphones to work again as possible. But DriveSavers turned around and decided to use that to be as greedy as possible.

It would be like your girlfriend loving me instead of you for the flowers you bought her, because I told her I bought them. Even though you have the receipt. Cmon man...

I think you're taking this way too seriously. I think it is a minor thing to get wrong. Also:

1) We don't actually know if DriveSavers didn't figure it out themselves. Right now it's word against word. It could also be a case where two people came to the same conclusion independently of each other around the same time. We don't even have any proof that Jessa shared her discovery with DriveSavers.

2) We don't know if DriveSavers actually told Linus "give us credit for this" or if that is something Linus himself added.

3) Jessa certainly isn't doing this for some "I just want phones to work" purpose. Remember, she owns a company that directly profits from controversies like these. I wouldn't be so quick to blindly trust someone who benefits from you getting angry at a competitor.

Just now, LAwLz said:

I think you're taking this way too seriously. I think it is a minor thing to get wrong. Also:

1) We don't actually know if DriveSavers didn't figure it out themselves. Right now it's word against word. It could also be a case where two people came to the same conclusion independently of each other around the same time. We don't even have any proof that Jessa shared her discovery with DriveSavers.

2) We don't know if DriveSavers actually told Linus "give us credit for this" or if that is something Linus himself added.

3) Jessa certainly isn't doing this for some "I just want phones to work" purpose. Remember, she owns a company that directly profits from controversies like these. I wouldn't be so quick to blindly trust someone who benefits from you getting angry at a competitor.

1. That would be something Jessa could easily prove. I expect she will if she cares enough to. She doesn't have any reason to take credit for work she didn't do, and if you think that's a lie or you want to press X to doubt, then go watch her ipad rehab youtube channel and try making that claim...you don't stream your working day only to try and take credit for some shit you didn't do. Makes 0 sense.

2. Who said what wrong and why is immaterial. The fact that something wrong was said is what matters.

3. Oh please. You going to poo poo on every company making masks because we're all required to wear one by law? They are profiting from human malware! Or maybe you want to say that every grocery store has a secret agenda to make as many people obese as possible so they can sell more food? You can have multiple motivations. If she wanted to make money and not share anything, she wouldn't stream a huge number of repairs and troubleshooting steps on youtube. She doesn't do that for publicity, she does it because she wants these things to be used until they are used up, not tossed in a landfill when a 5 cent part breaks! The reason you share knowledge is so *everyone* gets better together, rather than just yourself.

8 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

She doesn't have any reason to take credit for work she didn't do

Yes she does.

1) She gets a lot of praise from the community and that will give her more customers.

2) She can paint her competitors in a bad light which will, again, give her more customers.

She is directly and indirectly making money from this. That's why I don't think we should blindly assume everything she is saying is the truth.

9 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

2. Who said what wrong and why is immaterial. The fact that something wrong was said is what matters.

I am going to assume you meant to type "irrelevant" and not immaterial.

I think it matters a lot because it means the context changes from "DriveSavers tries to take credit for other peoples' work and Linus got a fact wrong in his video" to just "Linus got a fact wrong in his video" (assuming he was actually wrong).

18 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

3. Oh please. You going to poo poo on every company making masks because we're all required to wear one by law? They are profiting from human malware! Or maybe you want to say that every grocery store has a secret agenda to make as many people obese as possible so they can sell more food? 

If the mask making company started spreading rumors about how other mask makers had inferior products or if some grocery store started postings video about how they found shards of glas in some other store's baby food or whatever, without any evidence, then yes I would be a bit suspicious.

You should always be suspicious when a company tell you "this competitor to us are bad. You should trust me and hate them".

22 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes she does.

1) She gets a lot of praise from the community and that will give her more customers.

2) She can paint her competitors in a bad light which will, again, give her more customers.

She is directly and indirectly making money from this. That's why I don't think we should blindly assume everything she is saying is the truth.

I am going to assume you meant to type "irrelevant" and not immaterial.

I think it matters a lot because it means the context changes from "DriveSavers tries to take credit for other peoples' work and Linus got a fact wrong in his video" to just "Linus got a fact wrong in his video" (assuming he was actually wrong).

If the mask making company started spreading rumors about how other mask makers had inferior products or if some grocery store started postings video about how they found shards of glas in some other store's baby food or whatever, without any evidence, then yes I would be a bit suspicious.

You should always be suspicious when a company tell you "this competitor to us are bad. You should trust me and hate them".

Ok. So by your logic:

1. DriveSavers pays Linus Media Group for a video on LTT giving them good coverage.

2. Previous experiences with DriveSavers have been positive, and price is something that LMG doesn't view as a particularly reasonable reason to quibble over someone's business, so they go forward.

3. Important fact about where innovation and progress in the repair industry comes from is brought up.

4. Louis Rossmann points out a fact he knew about Jessa figuring out the speaker IC issue, and telling DriveSavers about it. Probably because Jessa told him this when she figured it out almost a year ago.

5. DriveSavers is assumed to be telling the truth because they paid LMG for good press.

6. Jessa Jones & Louis Rossmann are assumed to be lying because they stand to profit from getting credit for actually finding the fix / talking about it.

7. DriveSavers, who also stands to profit, from the marketing they paid Linus Media Group for, and from the postiive exposure in a LTT video, is assumed to be telling the truth because ??? (reasons unclear).

8. I'm being silly because I dare to doubt DriveSavers instead of Jessa/Louis.

Like...seriously. Look at what you're asking me to do. You are asking me to assume that the person who paid for positive press, and stands to profit the most from this event, is the same person who is telling the truth. But when evidence comes to light that DriveSavers may have taken too much credit, the reaction is "No, the person saying that is lying!" Why can't both sides be evaluated as lying? As you say, it's he-said-she-said.

The difference is that I, personally, have no reason to trust the goodness of a company that charges someone $1000 for a $60 part and 10 minutes of work. I have far more respect for a company that charges $200 for the same service (or whatever Jessa charges; it's a hell of a lot less than $1000, and it is done a lot faster). So, yes, my bias is that I choose to believe the person who runs a business I find more ethical. In other news: Water - wet!

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

My point is that you said Linus should give credit to Jessa for finding the solution. My response was "but was it Jessa that actually found the solution and deserve credit?". Maybe Jessa doesn't deserve credit either, and the real finder of the fix is some unknown person from the community?

Jessa sent DriveSavers a message and DriveSavers apparently ignored it, and took credit for the finding the issue, I don't know the iPadRehab community but I'm sure Jessa would give credit where it is due, because it would be her goal to interact with the community to keep good business.

And DriveSavers have gotten things wrong before, so to me that is suspicious.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You have to remember that Jessa is also a corporation and might want credit for something someone else found.

I don't see why Jessa would need to, and DriverSavers is a large company that can get away with not giving others credit, or charging over $900 for a screen replacement, a smaller company like iPadRehab can't overcharge or steal credit.

14 minutes ago, asquirrel said:

Like...seriously. Look at what you're asking me to do. You are asking me to assume that the person who paid for positive press, and stands to profit the most from this event, is the same person who is telling the truth. But when evidence comes to light that DriveSavers may have taken too much credit, the reaction is "No, the person saying that is lying!" Why can't both sides be evaluated as lying? As you say, it's he-said-she-said.

The difference is that I, personally, have no reason to trust the goodness of a company that charges someone $1000 for a $60 part and 10 minutes of work. I have far more respect for a company that charges $200 for the same service (or whatever Jessa charges; it's a hell of a lot less than $1000, and it is done a lot faster). So, yes, my bias is that I choose to believe the person who runs a business I find more ethical. In other news: Water - wet!

Well some people would probably trust a company just because they got a sponsor spot with LTT.

Jessa has made videos before pointing out that DriveSavers is essentially a scam because they charge $1,000 for a simple fix which takes a few minutes, so I would trust a company much more that is honest and will tell you and even show you how to perform the repair.

6 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Jessa sent DriveSavers a message and DriveSavers apparently ignored it

That's only Jessa's word. We don't actually have any proof of this from what I know.

How do we know this isn't just Jessa trying to get credit for something DriveSavers did? I am not saying that's what happened, but since we don't have evidence for either we can't really be sure which one is correct.

and took credit for the finding the issue

How do we know this? We don't know if DriveSavers told Linus to give them credit for this discovery, or if Linus is the one who incorrected gave DriveSavers the credit for the discovery. Linus maybe assumed (correctly or incorrectly) DriveSavers discovered it and wrote it into the video.

I don't know the iPadRehab community but I'm sure Jessa would give credit where it is due, because it would be her goal to interact with the community to keep good business.

How do you know that? Maybe the business she is getting from this good press and hate on DriveSavers is enough to offset pissing off one or two people that she might have stolen the idea from?

According to Louis she didn't discover the fix solely on her own, and I couldn't see her giving any credit to the other people involved in the video. Maybe I missed it, but she didn't give credit in the description either.

Also, can't you make the exact same argument for DriveSavers? "DriveSavers would give credit where it is due, because it would be their goal to interact with the community to keep good business". 

I don't know the iPadRehab community but I'm sure Jessa would give credit where it is due, because it would be her goal to interact with the community to keep good business.

According to whom? Jessa who clearly has a vendetta against them? Probably not the most unbiased source.

Louis Rossman? Who clearly is friends and supports Jessa in her vendetta against DriveSavers?

I don't see why Jessa would need to

Because she is profitting from all this exposure.

a smaller company like iPadRehab can't overcharge or steal credit.

Of course they can. Have you never heard of things like independent car shops scamming people?

It happens all the time. Also, I am fairly sure Louis even said it happens for computer repair shops and the reason he brought it up is because is reflects poorly on all repair shops including his own even though he had never done it.

I am not trying to tell you who is right or wrong in this conflict. What I am saying however is that you shouldn't be so naive to just blindly trust one side of a debate when they have a vested interest in the conflict. It's always best to hear from both sides. People lie all the time, especially if they can make money from lying.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

How do we know this? We don't know if DriveSavers told Linus to give them credit for this discovery, or if Linus is the one who incorrected gave DriveSavers the credit for the discovery. Linus maybe assumed (correctly or incorrectly) DriveSavers discovered it and wrote it into the video.

To add to this. As I have stated before how do we know the drivesavers employee ltt talked to didn't incorrectly assume they discovered it. While proper credit should be given when discussing who found what technique externally I can't imagine it efficient to have everyone who works there memorize where every one of their repair techniques came from.

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That's only Jessa's word. We don't actually have any proof of this from what I know.

How do we know this isn't just Jessa trying to get credit for something DriveSavers did? I am not saying that's what happened, but since we don't have evidence for either we can't really be sure which one is correct.

Against the video DriveSavers sponsored LTT to make, and the word of DriveSavers. Of course DriveSavers would win with them being a much larger company.

X to doubt.

More likely LTT stuck to the contract DriveSavers set for them.

According to whom? Jessa who clearly has a vendetta against them? Probably not the most unbiased source.

Louis Rossman? Who clearly is friends and supports Jessa in her vendetta against DriveSavers?

Vendetta? You're making it sound as if Jessa and Louis are out to get DriveSavers, have you seen any of their videos regarding DriveSavers?

Because she is profitting from all this exposure.

No, DriveSavers are from a sponsored video.

Of course they can. Have you never heard of things like independent car shops scamming people?

It happens all the time. Also, I am fairly sure Louis even said it happens for computer repair shops and the reason he brought it up is because is reflects poorly on all repair shops including his own even though he had never done it.

I am not trying to tell you who is right or wrong in this conflict. What I am saying however is that you shouldn't be so naive to just blindly trust one side of a debate when they have a vested interest in the conflict. It's always best to hear from both sides. People lie all the time, especially if they can make money from lying.

So you're biased against independent repair services, and you're implying an independent service is lying to gain some credit? I don't see any reason to give DriveSavers any benefit of the doubt, any apology they'd give would just be some PR response, and considering they have a reputation for ripping off customers I wouldn't trust their response.

As I said Jess or Louis would have no reason to be lying, and a independent company trying to do so is dangerous as most large companies would just take legal action against an independent shop.

3 hours ago, Drazil100 said:

This has been announced as a topic of today's wan show. 

Yay!