EVE Project V revealed at long last

GhostRoadieBL
8 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

The manufacturers aren't at fault here, it's AMD that's unable to supply the chips fast enough to meet the demand. Previously released laptops are being pulled because they've got 4 week long waiting lists.

This is also what I’ve been hearing.  Kind of curious as to the reason for that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This is also what I’ve been hearing.  Kind of curious as to the reason for that.

I think they simply underestimated the reception of these new chips, thus not allocating enough capacity on TSMC's fabs to fulfill the demands for them.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Just now, Fatih19 said:

I think they simply underestimated the reception of these new chips, thus not allocating enough capacity on TSMC's fabs to fulfill the demands for them.

It’s definitely a possibility.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

The manufacturers aren't at fault here, it's AMD that's unable to supply the chips fast enough to meet the demand. Previously released laptops are being pulled because they've got 4 week long waiting lists.

Do we know this for sure?

If so that's interesting. AMD needs to get bigger fabs lol. Hopefully the partnership with TSMC continues increasing their yield.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

39 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

that's part of it, the other side is exclusivity deals intel made with laptop manufacturers. Companies made deals for "named product lines" to be exclusive to intel and would have to start over with AMD and market new naming schemes or wait for the intel deals to expire in a few years. 

Noone really expected AMD to come out swinging with Ryzen, especially not Ryzen4000 series which took everyone by surprise. 

They also have only 1 generation of laptop chips which hold performance crowns outside of heavily multithreaded applications, intel is still single thread king (for now) and have the catchy big number marketing "i7 with 5.2ghz!" so their rinse and repeat laptop models make sense for companies. Having to design an whole new PCB layout to swap chip traces or release the same laptop with 2% higher specs each year without changing anything in the styling/cooling/power delivery/traces on the board it's no contest. 

in 2 years we'll see a ton of AMD laptops IF the market actually calls for them, as long as intel is selling companies don't really care. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

30 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Do we know this for sure?

A german laptop manufacturer called XMG has been making posts on Reddit about it:

On July 31 we received an announcement from our ODM that we are facing a serious CPU shortage from AMD in Q3 2020. Large orders that have recently been confirmed to be shipped from our ODM in the middle and end of August are now supposed to be delayed until the end of September.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XMG_gg/comments/i2vsu9/supply_bottleneck_on_amd_ryzen_in_xmg_core/

Hi Reddit,

After an extensive update from our ODM, we now have a new estimated arrival date of significant quantities of Ryzen 7 4800H in various models.

Estimated Arrival Date in our Warehouse: between November 4 to 9. As soon as the goods arrive, we'd start to build pre-orders.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XMG_gg/comments/ipdq6x/supply_update_on_ryzen_5_4600h_and_ryzen_7_4800h/

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

9 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

that's part of it, the other side is exclusivity deals intel made with laptop manufacturers. Companies made deals for "named product lines" to be exclusive to intel and would have to start over with AMD and market new naming schemes or wait for the intel deals to expire in a few years. 

At the moment this doesn't really matter though. Dell releasing an XPS 15 with an AMD CPU inside wouldn't suddenly solve their supply issue. If AMD can't supply enough chips, then they can't supply enough chips. Having more popular product lines would only exacerbate that issue.

In however many weeks/months time when AMD sorts out their supply issues, sure. More popular product lines like an XPS are exactly what they need. But until then having a limited range of products is a nonissue. If anything right now it's a blessing: if these CPUs were in more popular products like an XPS then they would be getting a hell of a lot more bad press about this.

It also makes me wonder about upcoming RX 6000 and Ryzen 5000 supply. Is this shortage a sign that Sony and Microsoft are eating into AMD's wafer supply with the upcoming consoles? Or maybe AMD has been holding back in the laptop segment to ensure supply for their (maybe more hyped?) desktop SKUs? Or it could simply be, as you said, that the 4000 series was just that much better than expected.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

2 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Dell releasing an XPS 15 with an AMD CPU inside wouldn't suddenly solve their supply issue.

That's why "it's part of it..." but not all of it

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

9 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

That's why "it's part of it..." but not all of it

The impression I am getting is that if AMD wants a priest in the laptop space 5000apus are going to have to pound just as hard as 4000 ones are doing, and whatever happens for zen4 is going to have to be just as good. That’s a tough row to hoe.  

4 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Assuming you can even get an AMD laptop. They’re as hard to find in stock as a 3080 right now - lots of manufacturers (eg HP) have stopped listing them on their sites.

Spoiler

832217623_ScreenShot2020-10-09at11_03_18PM.thumb.png.fc407deb70f77137360b5c04b5aa0ed5.png

Most of the HP Envy lineup that features Ryzen 4000 is available on HP's website right now. 

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

The Tiger Lake U processors are good, I don't know why everyone is whinging. I would definitely align myself closer with AMD than Intel but you can't just write off Tiger Lake U as garbage because the multi-core CPU performance isn't as good as the Ryzen 4800U.

The Tiger Lake U has advantages in both graphics and single-threaded workload, disadvantages in multi-threaded workloads and is about a tie in power efficiency for a typical days usage. I suspect Tiger Lake U is probably going to be a little more expensive too.

48 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

The Tiger Lake U processors are good, I don't know why everyone is whinging. I would definitely align myself closer with AMD than Intel but you can't just write off Tiger Lake U as garbage because the multi-core CPU performance isn't as good as the Ryzen 4800U.

The Tiger Lake U has advantages in both graphics and single-threaded workload, disadvantages in multi-threaded workloads and is about a tie in power efficiency for a typical days usage. I suspect Tiger Lake U is probably going to be a little more expensive too.

Xe is good. Better than vega.  Single thread advantage is tiny though and multi core disadvantage is immense.  Apparently they still use more power though.  Not significant on desktops but an extra hour or two of battery life can be a big deal on a laptop.  They are pretty close.   If I wanted to play games on a thin and light with no discrete gpu, intel wins.  Integrated graphics isn’t quite at the level of real gamability though it is close. If they gave Xe a bit more gumption to kick it over the top they’d have something.  Xe is supposed to link up with itself pretty well.  A Xe iGPU with an extra Xe discrete might just do it.  Intel didn’t make one though.  So light light gaming in a pinch only.  The question is how many people want to do that?

Edited by Bombastinator

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Xe is good. Better than vega.  Single thread advantage is tiny though and multi core disadvantage is immense.  Apparently they still use more power though.  Not significant on desktops but an extra hour or two of battery life can be a big deal on a laptop.  They are pretty close.   If I wanted to play games on a thin and light with no discrete gpu, intel wins.  Integrated graphics isn’t quite at the level of real gamability though it is close. If they gave Xe a bit more gumption to kick it over the top they’d have something.  Xe is supposed to link up with itself pretty well.  A Xe iGPU with an extra Xe discrete might just do it.  Intel didn’t make one though.  So light light gaming in a pinch only.  The question is how many people want to do that?

The single threaded advantage is about 20%, multi core disadvantage is 60% and graphics advantage is up to 50%.

The power draw is the same over a typical day (AMD even said so in their 4000 series mobile presentation).

11 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

The single threaded advantage is about 20%, multi core disadvantage is 60% and graphics advantage is up to 50%.

The power draw is the same over a typical day (AMD even said so in their 4000 series mobile presentation).

That wasn’t what the reviews I saw said. 4/8 tiger lake drew more power than 8/16 ryzen.  They also had both single and multi thread closer.  10% and 50% respectively.  The graphics I believe.  Xe is impressive.  It strikes me to be a question is how much good is that performance?  If it’s useful it’s a big big deal.  If it’s not, it isn’t.  I would be interested to see 8/16 tiger lake U.  It’s not out yet though.  8/16 tiger lake with two xes could be a force.

7 hours ago, elfensky said:

Oh. EVE the company. Not EVE the game.

I literally thought it was about the game...

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That wasn’t what the reviews I saw said. 4/8 tiger lake drew more power than 8/16 ryzen.  They also had both single and multi thread closer.  10% and 50% respectively.  The graphics I believe.  Xe is impressive.  It strikes me to be a question is how much good is that performance?  If it’s useful it’s a big big deal.  If it’s not, it isn’t.  I would be interested to see 8/16 tiger lake U.  It’s not out yet though.  8/16 tiger lake with two xes could be a force.

Check some more reviews. They’re not releasing an 8 core Tiger Lake part either.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

Check some more reviews. They’re not releasing an 8 core Tiger Lake part either.

There was an article I read claiming intel “coyly” stated they would.  They apparently haven’t so far. That they might not ever is definitely possible.

This looks like a pretty cool laptop. Hopefully they'll make one with a bit more of a solid keyboard. I'm not necessarily a fan of the Microsoft Surface style of detachable keyboards. This still looks nice though.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

one thing with these startup lack, is support of their products on the grand scale of things. Like do they have sufficient supply of spare parts or laptops on hand, that’s ready for exchange when a customer says the one they have is faulty. For those looking for a laptop buy from a well known brand like dell, hp, acer, asus, etc.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I wouldn't touch this company with a 10 foot pole. Unless you don't care about actually getting the product, of course. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 10/9/2020 at 12:02 AM, eeeee1 said:

is tiger lake better than amd's mobile chips?

not a fanboy or anything. just asking

From what I am seeing, Intel chip COULD consume less power (which is probably why they went with this) and maxes it out at 4cores, so AMD chip will faster in multi-tasking. All depends on the chip model they choose.

155515933_Screenshot2020-10-13000236.thumb.png.f6650785114d109b38b97e3f999d707e.png

AMD Ryzen 4700U is an 8 core CPU design, quite fast, but consumes 25W (make that 30W for the 4800U)

So, if they pick the i3-111064, it will be awful... For such slim device, assume any of the 7W variant. Probably setup to peek at 10-12W and not the full 15W, unless they don't care about weight and fan noise, nor battery life.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:36 AM, NumLock21 said:

one thing with these startup lack, is support of their products on the grand scale of things. Like do they have sufficient supply of spare parts or laptops on hand, that’s ready for exchange when a customer says the one they have is faulty. For those looking for a laptop buy from a well known brand like dell, hp, acer, asus, etc.

I agree. You have no support with them. I even recall reading stories back in 2016 where users where left in the dust with their faulty units.

While the device is impressive, and this is exactly what Microsoft wants (they create new form factors, and manufactures make them and competes in them).

Personally. I see plenty of room for a USB Type-A port. So I don't get it why they aren't putting at least one. Also, going by the USB ports alone, it looks like the device is thicker than my Surface Pro 3... which well.. the Pro 4 and later are thinner devices, especially the Surface Pro X (which, in this case, justifies its USB Type-C only usage).

Also 2 of the 4 speakers are poorly placed:

63b25fece5de06f6c62708b4baefca9ef53684b4.png

The 2 at the bottom, will be covered by your hands.

Feels like this version needs more work, in my opinion. The speakers should be lower. If the keyboard cover doesn't block them, it could be put there like the ones at the top.

My suggestion: Get the latest Surface Pro. It will have an Intel 11th gen chip at its next refresh (due to the lower power consumption over AMD current offerings). Second recommendation, look at HP Spectre x2 , which is a big step down over the Surface Pro, but it is the better alternative of the other manufacture, for the same form factor.

Neat. I bet like 75% of them won't be delivered to customers.

From ANY other company this thing would have a chance in me thinking about buying from them but almost the entire first page here either didn't know or forgot that EVE has been notorious for not delivering to PAYING customers.... yeah for a company like this even if you managed to get one delivered support is probably going to be shit