Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Risks of a google sites subdomain hosted "unblocked games" site?

My child recently came home with a sites.google.com/.. URL for "unblocked games". 

What are the risks of allowing this?

Can't run a whois since the site is in effect a subfolder.

Did run the full URL through virustotal.com - to an "all clear" result.

None of the footer contact requirements are enforced.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Searches for "malicious unblocked games" and variations thereof yield no results.

Could be benign as someone making ad revenue by hosting scripted ports of games.. Or it could be a lot worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since anything can be contained on these websites, it's really difficult to give you a valuable answer here.

Part of me feels like they might have just been playing an otherwise blocked game, with this indirect method.

 

Think about the different Flash game websites (or nowadays the different .io games) which might be blocked on school domains, by being hosted on a sites.google.com domain, the kids can still play otherwise blocked games.

 

Whether these 'unblocked games' carry something potentially dangerous is unknown of course.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, minibois said:

Since anything can be contained on these websites, it's really difficult to give you a valuable answer here.

Part of me feels like they might have just been playing an otherwise blocked game, with this indirect method.

 

Think about the different Flash game websites (or nowadays the different .io games) which might be blocked on school domains, by being hosted on a sites.google.com domain, the kids can still play otherwise blocked games.

 

Whether these 'unblocked games' carry something potentially dangerous is unknown of course.

thanks for the insight. i've put the full url through several webpage scanners, and run a full scan with A/V locally. a browser config normally alerts me to child's pc activity, but the school's browser-level login had broken that. young kids being turned loose on the internet at school without guidance snuck its way in to usage at our home. up till last week the school district had all children on a shared password, despite my objections. they had to change that finally because an elementary student altered classmates' tests for the 2nd time this period.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, john_wayne said:

My child recently came home with a sites.google.com/.. URL for "unblocked games". 

What are the risks of allowing this?

Can't run a whois since the site is in effect a subfolder.

Did run the full URL through virustotal.com - to an "all clear" result.

None of the footer contact requirements are enforced.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Searches for "malicious unblocked games" and variations thereof yield no results.

Could be benign as someone making ad revenue by hosting scripted ports of games.. Or it could be a lot worse.

Allowing what?

 

What games get unblocked?

 

Is your son going to download "unblocked" games from there?

 

Which games? (for example)

 

 

You do understand that everything you wrote sounds like this is a piracy site yes?

 

 

Again, what "unblocked" games, what gets unblocked exactly?

RYZEN 5 3600 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Allowing what?

 

What games get unblocked?

 

Is your son going to download "unblocked" games from there?

 

Which games? (for example)

 

 

You do understand that everything you wrote sounds like this is a piracy site yes?

 

 

Again, what "unblocked" games, what gets unblocked exactly?

@Mark Kaine

-Allowing the site to be visited / made use of.

-A bunch of generic games I have never heard of.
-No games get downloaded, they play in-browser.

-the games are named: slope, 1v1.lol, basketball.io, run 3, no AAA titles here..

-That's part of the reason I asked about this here, there is no discussion I could find online about the legitimacy and safety of the multitude of these subfoldered sites. The intent seems to be to a "resource" for children to play ported flash-style games in-browser with not being blocked by the school's firewall - because of the domain used being a subdomain of google. My mind (because I had the additional context of what was on the screen) instead went directly to trojan-horse-esque weaponization of pages being used to infiltrate [and thereafter exfiltrate] school networks, which are in-turn connected to government networks. One such scenario could play out as a specifically crafted cookie hijacking a school computer's browser (internet explorer) because the budget gets spent on network level security, yet the computers themselves go un-updated - which is the case especially in smaller school districts.

 

I am expecting someone in-the-know to either say "calm down boomer" or say "this is a risk that has been under the radar for too long". Reddit has mentions of these types of subfoldered unblocked pages of games for years, but only in the context of: "Here's a new URL to play games at". In moving to a zero-trust online culture, it strikes me as odd that there has been no conversation in either direction about these sites.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@john_wayne  I see, thanks for the clarification... I just wanted some more info as I also find it pretty strange, and probably wouldn't trust this site personally. Although it might be harmless, who knows - though it certainly seems rather sketchy to me...

 

Maybe you could also post in the network section, I mean this sub forum isn't completely the wrong one, but it's not frequented as much, plus I think it's rather a website / internet issue than "pc games"... Just a thought but yes I'd be definitely wary too before knowing my more about how this website / domain operates.

 

 

 

 

RYZEN 5 3600 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×