Zen 3 announcement discussion

3 minutes ago, lllKUNG_FUlll said:

Is that not nearly exactly what I just wrote? Perhaps you read only half. I'll quote myself,

"The point of the announcement was to declare one thing - there's a new sheriff in town - and that bad boy is AMD."

I was agreeing with you, friend

8 minutes ago, BrownZeus said:

I was agreeing with you, friend

Linus may too: 

but but but amd promised am4 will be used till2020, so how likely there will be new cpu in 2021 for zen 3?

54 minutes ago, lllKUNG_FUlll said:

It seems odd to me the number of replies thinking only inside their own box that, "I will do this...", or "We should do that...", or "Such and such is not worth it to...".

Me, me, me it seems in some dictates what you, you, you must do. 

But that's not how life works unless you live in an authoritarian state.

There are corporations which invest tens of millions (and more) chasing 4% gains.

There are individuals who spend millions on a car just to gain 5 kph on a flat salt desert plain knowing they'll never drive that fast or even drive the car at all.

There are poor people like me who might be able to scrape up a thousand bucks in a year to purchase the components to build a PC.

And there are millions in between.

Billions on Earth and millions who may or may not buy a CPU for a computer or one with a CPU already inside (pun w/ Intel's old slogan).

The point of October 8th's announcement was not to address whether any one individual should or shouldn't buy anything or if anyone thinks it worth it (to them) to spend a dime.

The point of the announcement was to declare one thing - there's a new sheriff in town - and that bad boy is AMD.

As always, choose whichever hat you wish to wear.

If you want #1, that choice now is AMD.

The king is dead.

Long live the new king.

Kings come and go. This ego-measuring contest is meaningless unless the consumer has an incentive to switch camps and join AMD or Intel. Intel was the "sheriff", but that did not stop AMD from creeping up with an increasing market share. 

The thread discussion was mainly about the value that AMD proposes with the 5000 series, not who has the bigger pp. It's clear that AMD grew some balls and decided to shove them in Intel's face.

5 minutes ago, Vals89 said:

Kings come and go. This ego-measuring contest is meaningless unless the consumer has an incentive to switch camps and join AMD or Intel. Intel was the "sheriff", but that did not stop AMD from creeping up with an increasing market share. 

The thread discussion was mainly about the value that AMD proposes with the 5000 series, not who has the bigger pp. It's clear that AMD grew some balls and decided to shove them in Intel's face.

I guess we differ then in what the October 8th announcement was about. To me it goes without saying things change in the tech world - always have, always will. No one's talking much today on who had the fastest clock speed for a single core processor for example because, frankly, no one cares. I also don't bring up my old Commodore 64 in comparison to a computer from 2020. Instead, the talk about who the best is... is always about 'what have you done for me lately'.

So as to value, of course prices were mentioned and along with performance - but the key metrics from what I saw dealt with comparisons across the benchmarks shown and the rise.  

So I am of the opinion it was precisely about the pp and that pp loomed rather large.

What video did you watch?

2 minutes ago, lllKUNG_FUlll said:

I guess we differ then in what the October 8th announcement was about. To me it goes without saying things change in the tech world - always have, always will. No one's talking much today on who had the fastest clock speed for a single core processor for example because, frankly, no one cares. I also don't bring up my old Commodore 64 in comparison to a computer from 2020. Instead, the talk about who the best is... is always about 'what have you done for me lately'.

So as to value, of course prices were mentioned and along with performance - but the key metrics from what I saw dealt with comparisons across the benchmarks shown and the rise.  

So I am of the opinion it was precisely about the pp and that pp loomed rather large.

What video did you watch?

As I said, the pp size, the sheriff badge, the performance crown is meaningless to a lot of consumers, including myself, so performance per value is what concerns me and the people who wrote before me. Sure, if I were an investor I would care which company has the spotlight and provides innovative tech to the masses. However, many people just need a tool which serves their needs, and any brand loyalty or blind support takes lower priority.

I think we watched the same announcement, we just have different points of view.

3 hours ago, Vals89 said:

As I said, the pp size, the sheriff badge, the performance crown is meaningless to a lot of consumers, including myself, so performance per value is what concerns me and the people who wrote before me. Sure, if I were an investor I would care which company has the spotlight and provides innovative tech to the masses. However, many people just need a tool which serves their needs, and any brand loyalty or blind support takes lower priority.

I think we watched the same announcement, we just have different points of view.

Of course, my statement was rhetorical. But the emphasis on performance gains was not. That was the bulk of the announcement. Of course price was included - people actually have to purchase these things and that requires money.

I worked as a computer tech for 5 years. Rest assured I know all too well the level of knowledge the average person has about their computer's innards. That being said, those same folks hear word of mouth, hear and read advertising, and can make decisions based not on benchmarks but on reputation alone.

While I am no marketer or researcher in business I'd guess quite a large chunk of people make purchases of all sort of material items even far more expensive than any computer hardware component and do so based on whatever little sliver of information they've gleaned in 5 minutes of "research" online. 

If anyone's to think the average Joe doesn't somehow learn, through the trickle down effect of knowledge, and that information does reach many a John & Jane Q. Public - well what the hell are we on Linus Tech Tips for? Or in a forum? Or on the world wide web for that matter? YouTube is "social" media. We're not in some priest's confessional. This information does get out, yes along with pricing, and benchmarks, and gaming kings. Status means something. It's served Intel well enough for years. As that tide changes, so does rep. All of this is part of the business to consumer model and equation and obvious.

Just like how conspicuous it was to listen and watch as each AMD speaker spoke and showed their slides which were for the most part about.... performance.

Have there been any news about the launch of this generations Threadripper processors? I'm in the process of buying a workstation for the office and I'd hate to buy the 3970x now if the new generation will launch in november with the rest of the ryzen lineup (as I've seen that in previous years they both launched on the same date. ), but there is no point in waiting any longer than that for me. 

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

18 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Have there been any news about the launch of this generations Threadripper processors? I'm in the process of buying a workstation for the office and I'd hate to buy the 3970x now if the new generation will launch in november with the rest of the ryzen lineup (as I've seen that in previous years they both launched on the same date. ), but there is no point in waiting any longer than that for me. 

No news unfortunately, only speculation based on the previous Threadripper launch which was 4 months after the desktop parts...

I am very impressed with the benches but with the prices the word "value" for gaming seems to have gone out the window. Hopefully there will be discounts like we have seen in the past.  I am not really a value customer but $800 for a gaming CPU is even a stretch for me. 

Even though I am impressed I take their benches with lots of grains of salt. 

The game they focused on was SOTTR. Their bench was with the 5900X at 1080p, high with a 2080 ti against an i9 10900k. I have an i9 10900k and a 2080 ti and they beat me by 3 frames. That does not sound like a big win but it is to me since the 3900X was not even a competitor let alone a winner.

The Cinebench R20 score is interesting as well. The 3900XT was already matching the i9 10900k in the single core score so a win was to be expected but that bench does not equate to top gaming scores. The Cinebench R15 single core bench does and it is absent so far. I need a R15 single core score of around 250 and if the 5900X or 5950X can do that I am buying.

These new AMD CPUs may "fix" the problem the 3080/3090 have with 1440p and lower resolutions since they will allow higher frames. Helpful reviewers will retest with a 5900X or 5950X so we will know for sure. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 hours ago, Vals89 said:

No news unfortunately, only speculation based on the previous Threadripper launch which was 4 months after the desktop parts...

Oh... I see now that with the 3000 series the 00x cpus launched earlier in the year and only the ryzen 3950x and the 2 threadrippers were released in November and then the 64 core 3990x launched in February.... Admittedly I've stopped following tech news closely a few years ago, and I'm trying to catch up now that I'm buying a PC again. 

If the new threadrippers aren't launching until February then I'm going to go ahead and buying the 3970x now. I've assembled quite a nice "little" workhorse  :D Can't wait. After editing video for 2 years on a top spec macbook pro this should be quite the upgrade.

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

45 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Oh... I see now that with the 3000 series the 00x cpus launched earlier in the year and only the ryzen 3950x and the 2 threadrippers were released in November and then the 64 core 3990x launched in February.... Admittedly I've stopped following tech news closely a few years ago, and I'm trying to catch up now that I'm buying a PC again. 

If the new threadrippers aren't launching until February then I'm going to go ahead and buying the 3970x now. I've assembled quite a nice "little" workhorse  :D Can't wait. After editing video for 2 years on a top spec macbook pro this should be quite the upgrade.

To quote Apple

0038120315-696x392.jpg

4 hours ago, jones177 said:

I am very impressed with the benches but with the prices the word "value" for gaming seems to have gone out the window.

That depends... Value is generally considered to be the price to performance ratio, which the 5000 series keeps on-par with their old chips. (because it does improve performance that much)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

4 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

That depends... Value is generally considered to be the price to performance ratio, which the 5000 series keeps on-par with their old chips. (because it does improve performance that much)

I don't see a $550 CPU as a value product for just gaming. I consider it a performance product for high end gaming. 

The 5600X is a great value for $300 and the 3800X is ok at $450 but it needs to be at $400 to be a great value in my view.

So to me it is price point that dictates whether a product is considered a value or a performance product.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV