Does anyone here own a HP Microserver "Gen10 Plus"

Required

Hi
I thought about it for a while now I got an offer for an cheaper Price than normal.

Does anyone here use one? I need a "Backup" System who can run some Virtual Machines.
Maybe someone here run a ESXi, Proxmox on it?
Thanks!

From AT. :x

Microservers are great if you're running in an office or somewhere where noise is a concern. What I've found is that because of the limited space, they have a not-so-great upgrade path, so if you're looking at holding onto it for years to come, it can be difficult to work on. The Gen10 Plus has a socketed processor, which is nice (previous generations used SOCs from AMD), but you're limited to 1151 processors (remember, Xeon Scalable moved to the LGA3647 socket, which is much more likely to see long-term support). If you're only running backup operations where speed isn't really a priority, then it's probably fine, but if you're planning on running a lot of stuff (notably, VMs, web servers, SQL servers), it might start to show its age in only a couple of years. Personally, I don't really care about noise, so I use a DL160, but as you know, 1U servers basically use 40mm Blowie-matrons

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus-v-gen10-hardware-overview/

Here are the offer sry the are mostly in German:
https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/jrit/de-de/pdf/HPE_TV_Offers_Reseller_Flyer_DE.pdf

I use a 4U (?!) HP Server who run 24/7 with a fat UPS. I need a System who I can "play around" without risk to brick my Main Server. I tried to put in a USB 3.0 Card and the hole ESXi crashed. OMG my Pulsrate whent to "near death"...

And I want to run a Virtual Machine when I must do some maintainance on the "main" HP Server. I dont care about the Sound. I just want to put in some IO Cards. Sure the Microserver have just 1 "real" PCI-E Slot. I also bought a 1 Slot Graphic Card who is in my other Pc to accelerate a Virtual Pc. Even when I am a IT Engeneer I am know the current Server Generation. On problem still is with some "Business only" Server to get cheap 3,5" Drive Bays. And maybe the BIOS, Driver, Update,... Require a Maintainance Contract who cost €€€. And I dont want to swap a CPU. I will use the Server until the die or get replaced. I currently Run 2x NL36 thats the first (!) Micro Server Generation. The should be replaced soon with a Virtual System who are able to use the USB3.0 Ports.

Sadly since my Main HP crash i dont found someone who could give me a dvice for a card who 99,99...% work.

That's absolutely a valid argument, and I think your application for this server is perfect. It's great for deploying something temporarily, and if you don't plan on manipulating the innards, you're probably fine. I know that Gen10 is the latest generation of their servers, but it still seems to be using somewhat antiquated hardware (comparatively speaking, Intel's 1st generation 14nm process node, not 14nm++++++), and I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of that. Viel Glück!

Is there some "fat" Tower or 4U,... who is in the same Price lange who offer more PCI-E Slots and mabye internal Power to?

for example:

73577053 P16928-421 PERFML30-007

Bundle HPE ML30 Gen10 E-2224 1P 16G 4LFF Svr+2x HPE 1TB SATA 7.2K LFF LP DS HDD+HPE 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-E STND Kit

You could slam something together yourself for a lot cheaper than what you'd get from HPE or Dell EMC, if this is just a sandbox or testing server. Here's a sample buildout:

• Chassis: Norco RPC-4224 or iStarUSA D-300L
  • Power supply: A quality power supply from FSP or Athena Power
  • Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X11SCA-F-O (server part manufacturers are awful at naming things)
  • Processor: Intel Xeon E-2224
  • RAM: 16GB of ECC memory from a reputable manufacturer, like Crucial or Kingston
  • Drives: depends on your needs

1 hour ago, kimsejin5 said:

Chassis: Norco RPC-4224 or iStarUSA D-300L

I have some "normal" Pc Case at Home.

Power supply

ok i also have a non Redundant one at Home

Processor: Intel Xeon E-2224

Which one?

BX80684E2224 INTEL Xeon E-2224 3.4GHz LGA1151 8M Cache Boxed CPU 207,72€

BX80684E2224G INTEL Xeon E-2224G 3.5GHz LGA1151 8M Cache Boxed CPU 230,16€

CM8068404173806 INTEL XEON E-2224G 3.5GHz 8M Cache LGA1151 Tray CPU 237,84€

Supermicro MBD-X11SCA-F-O

285€

RAM: 16GB of ECC memory from a reputable manufacturer, like Crucial or Kingston

KVR26N19S8/1616GB 1Rx8 2G x 64-Bit PC4-2666CL19 288-Pin DIMM 53€ each

~629€ and for the

HP: P16928-421

Bundle HPE ML30 Gen10 E-2224 1P 16G 4LFF Svr+2x HPE 1TB SATA 7.2K LFF LP DS HDD+HPE 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-E STND Kit

2x 1TB HDD, +16GB GB Ram for total 32GB and cost 958 € for the full System

For ~300€ I get a HDD, PSU, Case and maybe Remote management.

It's all about your priorities. If you need it to fit in a rack and have lots of storage, then get a big case! If you're using only a couple of SSDs and you can use a tower, then get a tower case.

For processors, a G indicates that there are discrete graphics on the processor's silcon package. If you need graphics, get a model that is suffixed with a G. The other thing to watch out for is whether the processor is boxed or tray. A boxed CPU comes in a retail box with (typically) a cooler, a warranty, and a case badge. A tray CPU comes with the CPU only and is primarily designed for system integrators who buy trays of 20 CPUs at a time.

What I provded for you is only a suggestion, but you might find that the features on a consumer motherboard are fine for you, or you might need more features on your motherboard, like dual network interfaces or extra USB headers. Do your research for the features that you need, and don't be afraid to ask the forums for more help!

I was looking into some Server Mainboards like Asus I guess and the are looking not that interesting to me.

I also have 2x PCI-E Raid Cards who I would like to use with some special highly encrypt HDD. I know HDD...

A Point is it must work with an ESXi/ Proxmox so a "out of the Box" System normally work flawless on the other side a "Home made" one might have some design flaws who never get fixed. Thats my main concern. I need something that work. Even at Home some Services must run 24/7 like a PBX. When the fail we cant call internally anymore.

Sure, but know that no server is 100% fault-free. No amount of redundancy or server-grade hardware will compensate for a stupid mistake or a lemon product. If it's mission-critical (even if's from a well established SI like HPE or Dell EMC), you should be doing everything possible to back up and have redundant systems for high availability. Even HPE makes things that break. Getting new parts from a company like Supermicro or Tyan is not too different from getting something from HPE or Dell EMC, as long as you're careful, since you're still slapping your own OS on the thing.