A drop of convenience? no new AMD chipsets

Fasauceome
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

At 7:25 it seems @LinusTechtouches on a pretty important factor that I didn't know beforehand, no BIOS update is required for compatibility so forget what I said about BIOS versions needing to be available for day 1 buyers.

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Sauce

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/10/06/report-amd-not-launching-new-chipsets-until-zen-3-processors-ryzen-6000/

Allegedly, AMD thinks X570, B550, and 520 are designed just right for Zen 3 and will be sufficient until Q1 2021.

My worry is that consumers are gonna struggle to find appropriately updated boards. AMD's classic boot kit will be extremely helpful, but more companies will need to do what MSI did with the MAX series and put pre-updated boards on the shelves, clearly marked/differentiated.

Extremely subjective take: X670 is a bad name. "x six sev" just doesn't roll off the tongue too good.

Honestly, I think it's better this way. People buying new systems will get later revisions of MB's with the appropriate firmware.

The problem I do see is people who want to swap the CPU from their earlier MB's because if you update the firmware and it eliminates their older cpu from the support list, then it's a one-way trip and if they do it to prepare for a new CPU, they won't have the option to switch back if the new CPU isn't what they need or defective.

So really that's a problem caused by third party vendors being cheap.

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The problem I do see is people who want to swap the CPU from their earlier MB's because if you update the firmware and it eliminates their older cpu from the support list, then it's a one-way trip and if they do it to prepare for a new CPU, they won't have the option to switch back if the new CPU isn't what they need or defective.

AMD did tell GN that CPU support is on a per-vendor basis, so something like the B450 MAX line from MSI, with those having larger BIOS chips, will likely support a very wide range of CPUs. As for 500 series, B550 and A520 have no official support for second gen so that's not a matter of BIOS version, and X570 has nice large BIOS chips across the board.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Extremely subjective take: X670 is a bad name. "x six sev" just doesn't roll off the tongue too good.

AMD six seven ate nine

My theory is that because virus this is a 'paper' launch with the first few shipments being intended for system integrators. 

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

AMD six seven ate nine

My theory is that because virus this is a 'paper' launch with the first few shipments being intended for system integrators. 

they did say in today's presentation that availability starts november 5th, didn't specify OEM only but previous OEM releases did not get announcements of availability (presumably because that might be unfair based on what system integrators move products at what time)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

they did say in today's presentation that availability starts november 5th, didn't specify OEM only but previous OEM releases did not get announcements of availability (presumably because that might be unfair based on what system integrators move products at what time)

Maybe because of the past launches by all major companies being so sporadic or just simply unavailable, I am hesitant to say that any 'human' will get their hands on the new CPU at or around launch. I'm hopeful for AMD, but my bets are against them simply because the track record speaks for itself. I'll try to get it for myself or friends sometime into next year.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

At 7:25 it seems @LinusTechtouches on a pretty important factor that I didn't know beforehand, no BIOS update is required for compatibility so forget what I said about BIOS versions needing to be available for day 1 buyers.

Primary PC:

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

no BIOS update is required for compatibility so forget what I said about BIOS versions needing to be available for day 1 buyers.

It does list a minimum version required (1.0.0.8) so the question then is, how many 500 series chipset mobos offered for sale between now and launch have at least that version on them? Implied if the mobo has older than that, you're still going to need to update it before Zen 3 will work.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

17 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

My worry is that consumers are gonna struggle to find appropriately updated boards. AMD's classic boot kit will be extremely helpful, but more companies will need to do what MSI did with the MAX series and put pre-updated boards on the shelves, clearly marked/differentiated.

Although as far as I have seen, the X570 and B550 motherboards have bios flashback of some sort (branding).

Don't quote me on that though.

6 hours ago, Parth2105 said:

Although as far as I have seen, the X570 and B550 motherboards have bios flashback of some sort (branding).

Don't quote me on that though.

Not universally but it did become super popular since B450

Primary PC:

On 10/8/2020 at 3:39 PM, Dedayog said:

Are you wanting them to produce a new board or just rename existing boards to show they're ready to go for Zen 3?

Who the hell says "x six five" or "x six sev"?  Cuz "x six sev" is going to get mangled to "x sex please, thanks!" in my head most likely.

Well, a new board without the horrid Chipset fan, would have been a big upgrade imo even without new features. 

Hell that would have promted me to buy AMD and prob update before needed time, so far the X570 fan + prices keeps me away. Not saying i would pick anything intel atm either, just that board prices are at an all time high combined with me not liking the reliabillity of a chipset fan. (back in the days they often where the weak link of your mortherboard). 

42 minutes ago, Adaa said:

so far the X570 fan + prices keeps me away.

That's what B550 is for though, PCIe 4.0 for NVMe and GPU and powerful VRM, but no chipset fan

Primary PC:

12 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

That's what B550 is for though, PCIe 4.0 for NVMe and GPU and powerful VRM, but no chipset fan

You lose 4 PCI-E lanes with 550 and thats a whole M2 slots worth, and imo 2 M2 slots is already very little. So i woulndt be okey with a b550 if i went AMD.

I am not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about chipset fans. In my case I have never seen the fan on. I guess it might be more of an issue in low airflow cases.

22 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

no BIOS update is required for compatibility 

Well... sorta. As long as the board has the 1.0.8.0 Agesa, it'll drop right in. 

But recommend to flash the bios to 1.1.0.0 "for the best experience" 

edit: January for 400 series chipsets. yay.

500 motherboard support..png

14 minutes ago, BabaGanuche said:

I am not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about chipset fans. In my case I have never seen the fan on. I guess it might be more of an issue in low airflow cases.

Even when it's on you can't really hear it

Primary PC:

7 hours ago, Adaa said:

You lose 4 PCI-E lanes with 550 and thats a whole M2 slots worth, and imo 2 M2 slots is already very little. So i woulndt be okey with a b550 if i went AMD.

Do that many people use multiple pcie 4.0 drives? I don't even have a single pcie 3.0 drive in my pc... Maybe I'm wrong and just behind the times, but I feel this is very much a niche issue. If you're in the position that you can afford that much expensive, high-speed storage, then I'm pretty sure that the price increase over B550 isn't that much of an issue.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

3 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Do that many people use multiple pcie 4.0 drives? I don't even have a single pcie 3.0 drive in my pc... 

Put aside the 4.0 part for now, I've been shopping for more storage recently and 1TB NVMe drives are less than half the price of 2TB ones. There's a premium at the higher capacities. Also there are many NVMe drives that are not more expensive than SATA of a comparable level. Connectivity becomes the limit if you want to take advantage of the higher transfer speeds.

4.0 storage is still at a premium I'm not going to pay for right now, but it is inevitable it will become standard in the not too distant future.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible