Three times the charm - New AMD CPU announcement + big Navi Teaser

williamcll
5 minutes ago, kewtz said:

Well, I was planning on a 3900x, now I'm leaning towards 5800x...need those sweet sweet benchmarks to come out.

I agree totally about actual independent  benchmarks.  We’ve seen how far from reality marketing hype can stray.  though atm I’m leaning toward 3700x.  I don’t need “fastest” I just need “fast enough and functional”

It will depend heavily on benchmarks and what 3700x pricing is like.  If I can get a 10700k that will hit 5.0 reliably I could do that too.  It will depend on which is cheaper. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Everyone complaining about the higher price, but I don't see anyone whining when Intel does it.

what are you talking about? The biggest complaint against intel has been the price/performance. Ryzen became popular because of its amazing price to performance. Its not like anyone thinks the 3800x is a better gaming processor than the 9900k. People went with AMD because it offered a great value. 

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

And going with a 10700K you'd have to add another $100 for cooling.

Zen 2 (and by extension Zen 3) also require decent cooling to get the best out of them. Power density is a bitch.

3 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Another way of squeezing more money from early adopters.

Sadly I agree and came to the same conclusion. Since I'm not a rabid AMD fanboy I'm not aiming to get one early on. I did buy Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2 CPUs within days of launch, but Zen 3 is too rich for me right now. Someone else will have to do the early testing in my other interest areas, where I'm sure it'll do well in, up to 8 cores anyway. Multi-CCD ones will probably still choke since nothing was made about improving communication between them. Still, better than having to run multiple 4 cores like with Zen 2.

Just now, DeScruff said:

You could easily make a system running a Ryzen 5700X, on X570, with a RX 5700X GPU. But the GPU will be a generation off.

I'm not going to use my Zen 2 system for gaming, but it is a X370 and 3700X in it. I wanted to add an RTX 3070 for fun.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, stewarjr said:

according to their website a cooling solution is only present in the 5600x (much like the 3000XTs that only included with the lowest model).

link: https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen

Interesting, I hope the 5700X comes with a cooler. Even though I don't use the included cooler, it was a nice value for people that didn't quite have the budget for additional cooling.

1 minute ago, hollyh88 said:

the thing is tho.. 3700x launch 320-330 price. 8 core. 5800x also 8 core but 450 bucks........ i would have bought the 8 core 5800x if it was 300-370 but it aint. a mobo plus cpu combo with a new 8 core would cost you 700 bucks. SEVEN HUNDRED BUCKS. thats high

I think they'd be releasing the 5700X sometimes later but yeah it seems crazy. Considering you also don't get a stock cooler.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

Yeah, but we'll have to see the 5700X and 5700 before we actually start comparing the value proposition of each cpu.

You are right. All I'm saying is that if you get a discount on a 10700K (like the $499 bundle deal with Z490-F I mentioned earlier) the value is likely better.

Don't get me wrong, I like AMD and these CPUs look great. I just feel that they lost some of their value appeal

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

2 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

SEVEN HUNDRED BUCKS. thats high

That's like 1 rent check? The mass majority of landlords require you to make at least 3 times that for be able to rent from them. It should be easy to save up that amount of money within a couple months.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

4 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Literally everyone complains about Intel's pricing. Have you been living under a rock?

I said that I didn't see anyone complaining about it. I don't specifically monitor to see who complains about what. The most I've heard from reviewers is that Intel costs more than AMD, to me that doesn't count as complaining.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Interesting, I hope the 5700X comes with a cooler. Even though I don't use the included cooler, it was a nice value for people that didn't quite have the budget for additional cooling.

I think a lot of people sold their stock coolers online as well to try and get a bit of their money back too.

1 minute ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

You are right. All I'm saying is that if you get a discount on a 10700K (like the $499 bundle deal with Z490-F I mentioned earlier) the value is likely better.

Don't get me wrong, I like AMD and these CPUs look great. I just feel that they lost some of their value appeal

That's intentional I think, they're going to compete in performance rather than price.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Just now, Fatih19 said:

That's intentional I think, they're going to compete in performance rather than price.

Por que no los dos?

Pricewise I was hoping the 5600x would be less than $300. Right now the 3600xt is only $240 on newegg. It will be interesting to see some benchmarks comparing those two processors. And the question is will AMD release some new 5*00xt chips 6 months from now?

3 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

hat's like 1 rent check? The mass majority of landlords require you to make at least 3 times that for be able to rent from them. It should be easy to save up that amount of money within a couple months.

1 month and i could buy 2 of those combinations but the thing is.. i dont see the worth here. thats way to much for an 8 core. now if they increased the core count i wouldnt be too salty about prices but.. this is a bit much

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

2 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

Por que no los dos?

Cause you'll rake in less money.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

Has there been any mention of when the NDA will lift for reviewers?  I'm assuming Nov 5th?

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x, X570 ASUS Prime Pro, 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz CL16,

EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27" 1080P @ 280hz and LG CX 4k tv

Hopes and Dreams: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 and Ryzen 9 5950x

Overall, eh. Looks like a solid bump but I really have absolutely zero complaints about my 3700X as it still performs like an absolute champ at the stuff I do.

Price bump was only mildly shocking to me, although the current lack of an x700X SKU did surprise me a bit, considering that has usually been a popular option. Certainly looks like AMD feels like they can charge a premium for the performance they're offering.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a 5700X later down the road considering it's been a hot seller but definitely looks like early adopter tax as of right now.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'm interested to see what sustained clock speeds are going to be like compared to Zen 2. One of the reasons I wouldn't feel compelled to go for the 3900XT over the 3900X was that it didn't really seem to boost that much higher and used a lot more power to do it. If the 5900X can get some good sustained boost clocks over the 3900X while keeping power draw and thermals within reason, that would probably tip me over the edge.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

AMD was always price/performance.  If they’re abandoning that there are going to be complaints.

Because they had to be? That was literally their only argument for selling their CPUs back even through the 2nd Gen Ryzen line. Now that they've (assumingly) achieved performance parity (if not slightly better) they'll be charging higher prices because they're a business. They've done a ton with increasing their marketshare and now it's time to leverage that.

I haven't looked too much at it but I saw people throwing around a 19% increase in IPC which is pretty damn good considering they only raised their prices by 12%. You're still getting more than you paid for when compared to the 3800X when it came out🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

but these people should not buy a expensive cpu in the first place when they can´t afford ~50 Euro for a halfway decent cooler

Ummmm if the Rx 6000 borderlands 3 benchmark is true then it should be on par or even better than a 3080 😶

21 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

That's like 1 rent check? The mass majority of landlords require you to make at least 3 times that for be able to rent from them. It should be easy to save up that amount of money within a couple months.

If only :(

2 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

Ummmm if the Rx 6000 borderlands 3 benchmark is true then it should be on par or even better than a 3080 😶

The other benchmarks imply it's below a 3080, so it's difficult to say or even speculate.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Lower latency. Each controller would be responsible for one channel, each channel supporting up to 2 DIMM's. With AMD's chiplet design and centralized IO, they can position these memory controllers to be equal distance from one another and potentially the chiplets, solving one of my biggest gripes with Ryzen's IMC since the first generation of Ryzen.

We haven't seen the die topology yet to see if the PPR leak was in fact real, or if they are even using the memory controllers properly in terms of relative distance from the chiplets, but it's still exciting to speculate on paper given this could solve a serious problem of mine, lol.

Well, I am bummed to say that it's still the same IMC from Ryzen 3000. The 12nm IO die has not changed at all. The PPR was only really relevant for the EPYC series. The cache improvements might still play a huge part in overall memory latency, but I wouldn't expect anything to change with actual memory overclocking.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Because they had to be? That was literally their only argument for selling their CPUs back even through the 2nd Gen Ryzen line. Now that they've (assumingly) achieved performance parity (if not slightly better) they'll be charging higher prices because they're a business. They've done a ton with increasing their marketshare and now it's time to leverage that.

True.  As a price performance buyer though it means I may be ignoring zen3.  I will go where price/performance is.  I don’t need top speed, I need adequate functionality.  The most interesting thing I’ve heard recently is a claim that the ps5 cpu is 2700 equivalent, which drops it lower than previous estimates and brings fast 6/12 up again.  Dunno how true it is.  We likely won’t know till we know.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.