Powerstrip overload when PC is off?

Aaralli
Go to solution Solved by Aaralli,
6 hours ago, Vishera said:

It's suppose to be nothing,what power supply do you have?

You can always flip the power switch on the power supply,it will make sure no power reach the unit.

I use a Bitfenix Formula Gold 650 Watt... I flipped the power switch on the back, and my power strip had the same light on.

5 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

I would try another powerstrip, unless you live in a place with poor power stability. You don't need a power strip with overload protection, should be build into the PSU :)

I will try a different powerstrip, and actually yes, the line of power these outlets are on runs through 4 rooms in the house and is on one breaker. The whole place was wired terribly. The outlets are also not very good. I plan to replace every outlet in the house. 

I have a 650 watt power supply in a system I built myself. I looked at my power strip earlier, and it had an indicator light on that means there's an overload somewhere. I unplugged and replugged power cables until the light went out. It was the cable going to my PSU. The PC hasn't been on in days, so my question: how much poeer does a turned off system use, and if none, should I look into replacing my PSU and/or powerstrip? Both are less than a year old. 

21 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

much poeer does a turned off system use

You can always flip the power switch on the power supply,it will make sure no power reach the unit.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I would try another powerstrip, unless you live in a place with poor power stability. You don't need a power strip with overload protection, should be build into the PSU :)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 hours ago, Vishera said:

I use a Bitfenix Formula Gold 650 Watt... I flipped the power switch on the back, and my power strip had the same light on.

5 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

I will try a different powerstrip, and actually yes, the line of power these outlets are on runs through 4 rooms in the house and is on one breaker. The whole place was wired terribly. The outlets are also not very good. I plan to replace every outlet in the house. 

1 hour ago, Aaralli said:

I use a Bitfenix Formula Gold 650 Watt

Nice,Top notch quality PSU you got there :)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566