Is watching free movies online illegal?

Luke

Hi. There is this website that streams free movies and i use it all the time (We pay for cable, shaw on demand etc but all their movies are shit). Anyway i recommended that website to a friend and he phoned me up saying his ISP sent him a e-mail saying it was illegal for him to be watching those movies and that they will restrict his internet or some bs like that. They even gave him a full list of the movies he's been watching so i doubt it's a fake e-mail but i told him to forward it to me so i can see for myself.

BTW I LIVE IN CANADA.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Hi. There is this website that streams free movies and i use it all the time (I pay for cable, shaw on demand etc but all their movies are shit). Anyway i recommended that website to a friend and he phoned me up saying his ISP sent him a e-mail saying it was illegal for him to be watching those movies and that they will restrict his internet or some bs like that. They even gave him a full list of the movies he's been watching so i doubt it's a fake e-mail but i told him to forward it to me so i can see for myself.

BTW I LIVE IN CANADA.

Of course it's illegal, you're not paying for the video/movies.

What you're doing is the same as illegally downloading it as a torrent except just streaming the file instead. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

You will be hunted down by the NSA,FBI and the CIA. They will break down your and tear gas your house. You will spend the rest of your life in prison. JK, I have no clue.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

If you don't pay for something and you still get to use/see/or somehow interact with it then it's probably illegal. Is it really that bad, probably not, but yes it is illegal.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

There have been many debates about the legality of watching movies on these "free movie portals".

But to my knowledge it's legal to watch, but illegal to upload and distribute copyrighted material.

I've done it several times and there are so many who do, never heard anything about someone being sued for watching movies on these platforms.

I know for a fact that here in Germany, it's debated but not illegal to this day.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Unless the creator says you can watch it free of charge, then yes, it's illegal.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Bad advice bro for the Noobs of torrenting .Limewire is what will get you caught.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Some say it's a grey area but I say it's Illegal, so if your worried about getting caught then don't do it.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

AFAIK it's not illegal to watch in Canada. I have never had any issues. What is your friends ISP?

Yes.

You are viewing content without the creators permission. It might not be illegal in some cases however its still taking money out of the creators pocket.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

You will be hunted down by the NSA,FBI and the CIA. They will break down your and tear gas your house. You will spend the rest of your life in prison. JK, I have no clue.

Ples, CSIS :P

(Insert Stargate Atlantis Col. Sheppard joke)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Bad advice bro for the Noobs of torrenting .Limewire is what will get you caught.

LOL is Limewire still around. Just like people think Tor is some how even remotely secure. If your doing something Illegal chances are your going to get caught.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

LOL is Limewire still around. Just like people think Tor is some how even remotely secure. If your doing something Illegal chances are your going to get caught.

Unfortunately, Yes lol, its even funnier seeing people still wanting to use it.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Id tell him to switch providers immediately. Which provider is it? Ill be sure to steer away any future business for that company. Yarrr..lol

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Ples, CSIS :P

(Insert Stargate Atlantis Col. Sheppard joke)

Too bad I don't watch Stargate.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I don't think it would be illegal unless there is a law prohibiting you from streaming movies.  I wouldn't anyways since those kinds of sites are extremely sketchy.

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's not illegal. 

What is illegal is uploading it to these websites. Actually watching it isn't AFAIK.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If you don't pay for something and you still get to use/see/or somehow interact with it then it's probably illegal. Is it really that bad, probably not, but yes it is illegal.

I don't know if that's a good example, cause my friend can buy a movie and share it with me and I wouldn't be paying for it. Now he did pay for it and I think the problem with pirating is that people aren't just sharing the movie, they are creating copies and distributing them and with streaming your not just getting a copy, you are simply viewing on the platform.

Of course it's illegal, you're not paying for the video/movies.

What you're doing is the same as illegally downloading it as a torrent except just streaming the file instead. 

It's really not the same as illegally downloading the file. If i downloaded it i would then own a illegal copy of that movie. 

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

True story

It's really not the same as illegally downloading the file. If i downloaded it i would then own a illegal copy of that movie. They are streaming the file not me.

Aren't you technically still downloading it? Not in the same sense as torrenting but you are loading it to your computer temporarily

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)