Should I buy a 2070s now or wait till 3070 back in stock?

justinislit

I was planning on building a high end PC mostly for gaming/and streaming. I was planning on paring it with a 3900x.At my local microcenter we have a lot of the 2070s in stock and i was looking Gigabyte GeForce2070s super 8Gb windforce OC. If I wait how long would it take for the the 3070 to be ready or back in stock. Also how bad would the bottleneck with a 3070 and the 3900 or would it even be one.

I believe Nvidia themselves said there may not be a consistent stock of 30 series cards until the beginning of next year, so possibly a few more months.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

The 3070 isnt out yet?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

how urgent is a new GPU to you? is your PC for your business?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Realistically speaking you'll only be able to comfortably buy 3000 series cards, on their correct price at least, next year.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If you don't mind waiting you could use EVGA's Step Up program to buy a 2070 now and immediately step up to a 3070. When they're actually available that is. You just pay the difference if there is one.  The catch is that you could be waiting quite awhile for stock to stabilize. But if you're gonna buy a 2070 anyways then you lose absolutely nothing. Maybe someone here has some experience with it and can tell you if there's any hidden disadvantage. I can only give you this link for more info.

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Get a 2070s from amazon, I know evga honors them as a authorized seller. It has to be new and shipped and sold by amazon. 
Get the card, register it then enroll in the step up program. This way you have the 2070 super to use right now and when the 3070 is available for you, you can send in the 2070 super pay the difference if any at all and get your new 3070. 

This way your not playing the F5 game like most of us did with the 3080 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 10/8/2020 at 2:50 AM, Gohardgrandpa said:

Get a 2070s from amazon, I know evga honors them as a authorized seller. It has to be new and shipped and sold by amazon. 
Get the card, register it then enroll in the step up program. This way you have the 2070 super to use right now and when the 3070 is available for you, you can send in the 2070 super pay the difference if any at all and get your new 3070. 

This way your not playing the F5 game like most of us did with the 3080 

Question regarding step up.. this says you have 90 days to request a step up. Does this mean I'd stock does not normalize in 90 days you would be stuck with the 20 series? 

10 minutes ago, Corruptedjosh said:

Question regarding step up.. this says you have 90 days to request a step up. Does this mean I'd stock does not normalize in 90 days you would be stuck with the 20 series? 

I think you can request it now even if the stock is out? I'm not sure entirely because now I just stumbled upon this, and may take up this offer. As I am on a 1070, and it's starting to see worse days when it comes to content creation/streaming. I would just be afraid if I buy a 2080 from EVGA, and then NOT be able to do the step up even though their 3080 FTW IS on that list of the step up due to stock issues. 

On 10/7/2020 at 7:45 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

I believe Nvidia themselves said there may not be a consistent stock of 30 series cards until the beginning of next year, so possibly a few more months.

They've done a whole lot of double speak on this whole launch. At this point I'm going to go a little bit conspiracy theorist here and say that after the 28th when AMD has their Big Navi event and announces a release date a huge number of 3000 series cards will magically appear in stock. 

10 minutes ago, MedicGarou said:

They've done a whole lot of double speak on this whole launch. At this point I'm going to go a little bit conspiracy theorist here and say that after the 28th when AMD has their Big Navi event and announces a release date a huge number of 3000 series cards will magically appear in stock. 

I was talking to my coworker about this and I said the same exact thing... I really hope so because I'm in need for the GPU upgrade hah

14 minutes ago, TommyTwoPockets said:

I was talking to my coworker about this and I said the same exact thing... I really hope so because I'm in need for the GPU upgrade hah

And not only that I could see a whole revamp of NVIDIA's website to have a queue based ordering system like EVGA has in place now just before the announcement.  These companies are playing chicken with each other and we are caught in the middle 

5 minutes ago, MedicGarou said:

And not only that I could see a whole revamp of NVIDIA's website to have a queue based ordering system like EVGA has in place now just before the announcement.  These companies are playing chicken with each other and we are caught in the middle 

Yeah I agree, was either gunna go with EVGA or the ASUS Strix 3080. Just keep staring at pictures because that's as close as I am going to get for a while probably. I am hopeful though. 

I am in that same boat my Strix 1070 has been going strong for almost what 5 years now... but it's time for that upgrade

46 minutes ago, MedicGarou said:

Possibly, but the main issues with most component launches right now is with production and manufacturing as with the pandemic a lot of plants are shut down. As far as everyone in the loop knows the stock issues of everything from graphics cards and components to even the new consoles can be attributed to that. I work for a computer sales and service company that has been told that from several manufacturers over the last few months. I highly doubt this is all just a sham to hold off until AMD launches, especially with all the negative press and heat it's bringing down on them from consumers.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

7 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Possibly, but the main issues with most component launches right now is with production and manufacturing as with the pandemic a lot of plants are shut down. As far as everyone in the loop knows the stock issues of everything from graphics cards and components to even the new consoles can be attributed to that. I work for a computer sales and service company that has been told that from several manufacturers over the last few months. I highly doubt this is all just a sham to hold off until AMD launches, especially with all the negative press and heat it's bringing down on them from consumers.

So in theory then AMD should have a similar issue to this then when they launch? I mean I knew about the PC parts scarceness. I built a PC for my girlfriend and her sister and had to go with some different parts due to stocking issues. It's been a couple months since I looked at parts aside from the GPU stuff.

1 minute ago, TommyTwoPockets said:

So in theory then AMD should have a similar issue to this then when they launch? I mean I knew about the PC parts scarceness. I built a PC for my girlfriend and her sister and had to go with some different parts due to stocking issues. It's been a couple months since I looked at parts aside from the GPU stuff.

The head of one of the AMD departments, can't remember his name, eluded to the fact that they won't have the same issues with stock that Nvidia did in a tweet a few weeks ago. Let me see if I can locate it 

3 minutes ago, MedicGarou said:

The head of one of the AMD departments, can't remember his name, eluded to the fact that they won't have the same issues with stock that Nvidia did in a tweet a few weeks ago. Let me see if I can locate it 

Interesting, yea for sure that would be great. This is why I am sort of skeptical on that we won't have GPUs until 2021. Seems kinda crazy if AMD can keep stock as they claim for this. 

Frank Azor was his name, here's the tweet response. 

4DB0Nll-_bigger.jpg

Welp... not being able to pick up a 3090 today means my work is going to be fucked for the next little bit. Can they at least release a new Quadro so I can get my work done? $10 says AMD will be a paper launch too

EYH39tek_bigger.jpg

I look forward to taking your $10 :)

I know the whole 5700 driver shit pushed a lot of users away from amd, myself included. It will be easier to have stock when you sell a inferior product performance wise. 

I highly doubt amd is gonna be able to beat a 2080ti performance wise other then ray tracing  on this release. If they do then good for them. I don’t regret buying my evga 3080 one bit. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x