Automatically put images into a spoiler when there is more than 2 in a post

Helpful Tech Witch

I don't know about the viability, but I think it would be nice if if you added more than one image in a post, they were automatically put into a spoiler.

If i have one image,t would be full sive, but if I added a second, it was automatically put into a spoiler. Then a option could come up as a popup below (like with a link) that say like "Image automatically minimized. Display full image instead

I dont know if its possible with the program stack, but it would be nice for the "Post your X" or "Share your Y"

EDIT: adding something b/c @porina pointed it out to me

If you are quoting more than 5 lines, a show more button after the first 5 lines would be nice, instead of the whole quote showing up, to keep the fourm easy to navigate.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I think there is a potential feature (or at least was talked about) where if a post is beyond a certain length, it cuts the post off and you'll have to click "see more" so as to avoid scrolling nightmares. I just hope it doesn't interfere with the original post.

Kinda related, but I find it really annoying when someone quotes a really long post (usually with many images) to make a one line comment. I'd welcome any help along that line.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Kinda related, but I find it really annoying when someone quotes a really long post (usually with many images) to make a one line comment. I'd welcome any help along that line.

Ill add something else to that list. Limiting quote length to 5 lines before a "show more" pops up.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Keith W said:

Maybe it would be easier to restrict the size of images posted.

Images already are restricted to 1000px wide/high when displayed in posts, but if you click the image you can view a full resolution version.

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

I think there is a potential feature (or at least was talked about) where if a post is beyond a certain length, it cuts the post off and you'll have to click "see more" so as to avoid scrolling nightmares. I just hope it doesn't interfere with the original post.

31 minutes ago, porina said:

25 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Ill add something else to that list. Limiting quote length to 5 lines before a "show more" pops up.

Large quotes will already be truncated in the next forum update with a "Expand" button to show the full quote.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Large quotes will already be truncated in the next forum update with a "Expand" button to show the full quote.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Will this affect the OP? I absolutely hate when I have to click "read more" when reading an OP. That's the whole reason I'm there. I'm not gonna just read the title and answer it from that alone.

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Will this affect the OP? I absolutely hate when I have to click "read more" when reading an OP. That's the whole reason I'm there. I'm not gonna just read the title and answer it from that alone.

It will only affect quote boxes. Either replying to another post or if you enter a quote box. If the OP inserts a quote box in to the first post with a lot of text inside then it will be truncated. This will possibly happen with some tech news posts for example and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The beta version of the forum is public now so you can test it there and provide feedback on it on the beta forum. https://beta.linustechtips.com/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, Keith W said:

It can certainly be a pain in some threads when you open them up and are met with multiple his res images.

you can double click the image to resize it in editor so that it wont take up half a page

I thought this thread was asking for images to be automatically spoilered when quoting, as that would really de-clutter the thread where people keep quoting images

but the "show more" feature in the new update should address this as well.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

14 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I don't know about the viability, but I think it would be nice if if you added more than one image in a post, they were automatically put into a spoiler.

[snippity snip]

Agree; and somehow stop people quoting a skyscraper tower of 5 images, just to reply with "wow nice".

The whole point of picture filled topics is the pictures, right? Once quoted images are no longer a problem, I'm not sure I quite understand why you want to have to click expand on each of those posts?

7 hours ago, Keith W said:

@colonel_mortis Just wondering if there is an option to condense quotes in the back end settings?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

HTTP/2 203

15 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The whole point of picture filled topics is the pictures, right? Once quoted images are no longer a problem, I'm not sure I quite understand why you want to have to click expand on each of those posts?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I meant specifically the images, not the whole post.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I meant specifically the images, not the whole post.

Yeah, but if the whole point of the topic is to post images then wouldn't that be equivalent to clicking to expand each post? I guess I'm just not really clear what problem you're trying to solve here.

HTTP/2 203

6 hours ago, Keith W said:

When you quote a post with say a lot of text and/or images it will automatically condense it down to just showing the first few lines of text and will have a link that says something like "Click to expand"

This is coming... Its already working in beta:

meme1.thumb.PNG.5742ed570ec6a1c746228cc0abd9db8e.PNG

As already pointed out by  @Spotty:

On 10/8/2020 at 2:09 AM, Spotty said:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv