Food & Cooking

whm1974
22 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Sure. You'll find its popular for things like searing steaks or anything else where you're working with high heat. 

https://www.getwellseasoned.com/blogs/news/the-best-oils-for-high-heat-cooking

If I read this subject before I went to Ruler Foods, would have gotten a few. Other then dipping bread or heating up Tortillas. Frozen chicken breast - thaw out before cooking.

8 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Care to explain? Clean it and reused for soap and Biodiesel... Never heard of Avocados being bad for the environment....

One avocado takes around 150-300L of water to produce which puts a massive strain on water supply.

On 7/21/2022 at 1:18 AM, Imbadatnames said:

One avocado takes around 150-300L of water to produce which puts a massive strain on water supply.

At least isn't 1 Gallon... one Almond takes that much don't you know. Which other edible oils are safe for the environment?  Can be made by primitive means.

For Example: Native Americans made Homily with wood ash, water, and Field Corn. Usually ground into Meal, then cooked on hot stone. Produces a flat bread, Johnnycake. 

What oil is the best for deep frying? I heard vegetable based oil oxidized quickly and so bad. This means animal fat like lard or butter???

Sudo make me a sandwich 

27 minutes ago, wasab said:

What oil is the best for deep frying? I heard vegetable based oil oxidized quickly and so bad. This means animal fat like lard or butter???

Depends on which oil you are using. And what you frying with it. Deep Fryer or either Cast Iron, Steal Skillet? Foods such chicken and Fish - other foods fried in the same oil may taste bad, or same same flavor as.

Refined Peanut Oil can reuse.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Depends on which oil you are using. And what you frying with it. Deep Fryer or either Cast Iron, Steal Skillet? Foods such chicken and Fish - other foods fried in the same oil may taste bad, or same same flavor as.

Refined Peanut Oil can reuse.

I am trying to fry chicken drum sticks, not using any flour since I am on a ketogenic diet at the moment.

I have oil that is a mix of 80% sunflower seed oil and 20% avocado oil.

I am not actually planning on deep frying since there really isnt that much oil in a typical bottle to do that so I am thinking about shallow frying. Roughly 20 minutes on medium heat.

Can such oil do the job? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

43 minutes ago, wasab said:

I am trying to fry chicken drum sticks, not using any flour since I am on a ketogenic diet at the moment.

I have oil that is a mix of 80% sunflower seed oil and 20% avocado oil.

I am not actually planning on deep frying since there really isnt that much oil in a typical bottle to do that so I am thinking about shallow frying. Roughly 20 minutes on medium heat.

Can such oil do the job?

Not certain on Sunflower Oil. Shallow Frying maybe... Avocado can be used for frying.

8 hours ago, whm1974 said:

At least isn't 1 Gallon... one Almond takes that much don't you know. Which other edible oils are safe for the environment?  Can be made by primitive means.

For Example: Native Americans made Homily with wood ash, water, and Field Corn. Usually ground into Meal, then cooked on hot stone. Produces a flat bread, Johnnycake. 

I don’t buy almonds either? Thing that still works out better than avocados though.

As much as I love avocados and I even managed to grow an avocado tree, I don't think it should be in almost any dish.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

As much as I love avocados and I even managed to grow an avocado tree, I don't think it should be in almost any dish.

I wasn't claiming that this oily fruit should be in every dish. Merely asking for a few some uses for this kind of edible oil.

Now for Avocados I did see a YouTube video on making Tuna Salad with this mashed fruit instead of Mayonnaise. I'm going to this again.

BTW Mayonnaise is of the French Mother Sauces. A Mother Sauces is a sauces where other Daughter Sauces are made.

On 7/25/2022 at 1:57 AM, wasab said:

Something with a high smoke point (say > 210 C, as frying should be around 180-190 C) should do. I have used peanut oil all my life for anything from stir frys to deep frying, or sunflower oil if I'm out of peanut.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

15 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I wasn't claiming that this oily fruit should be in every dish. Merely asking for a few some uses for this kind of edible oil.

I wasn't pertaining about you or your OG post about avocados in every dish lol. It was just my own personal statement

But yeah a good quality Avocado oil also has a high smoking point, neutral flavor which is good for frying. I personally use either avocado or grapeseed oil for my own chili oil. [recipe available upon request lol]

7 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I wasn't pertaining about you or your OG post about avocados in every dish lol. It was just my own personal statement

But yeah a good quality Avocado oil also has a high smoking point, neutral flavor which is good for frying. I personally use either avocado or grapeseed oil for my own chili oil. [recipe available upon request lol]

Go ahead and provide both Recipes for the rest of us enjoyment. Please.

The bottle of Avocado oil I have is Centrifuge Extracted. The brand is Primal Kitchen. 

Oh I have read two volumes of large number of pages, title Titled "Lost Crops of..." South America and Africa.

Human Crops once widely grown but now only planted for personal or niche usage. Sometimes only found Feral. 

Basically Gardens and a few small Farms growing one Acre or less.

12 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Go ahead and provide both Recipes for the rest of us enjoyment. Please.

Since you asked nicely lol. I'ma give my own chili oil recipe. I don't claim it to be the best but dang it is so good that I can actually sell it, imo. I usually don't measure when I'm cooking but for the sake of everyone I included measurements. :old-grin:

• 1 to 2 cups of cooking oil (it has to be neutral flavored, high smoking point cooking oil with more unsaturated fats so that it remains liquid even in cold temperatures. NO OLIVE OIL OR COCONUT OIL FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup dried thai chili flakes (or any dried chili flakes available to you as long as it's not powdered chili flakes)
  • 1 tbsp Korean red chili flakes aka 고추가루 for intense red color (optional)
  • 1-2 medium sized chopped shallot as it provides the best flavor (red onion is a good substitute)
  • Garlic chives chopped 1" in length, about 1-3 ounces (if you can't find garlic chives, you can substitute it with five cloves of finely chopped garlic)
  • 1/2" peeled and grated fresh ginger (no ginger powder please!)
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp vegetarian stir-fry sauce (or oyster sauce)
  • 1/2 tablespoon of roasted tahini (finely pounded toasted sesame seeds is a good alternative, just make sure you don't use too much)
  • 1/2 tbsp sugar (or equal amount of monk fruit powder/stevia as sugar substitute)
  • 1-2 tbsp finely ground toasted Sichuan peppercorns (non-negotiable, you can't substitute this with any other peppercorns. You can get them at your nearest Asian grocery store or online)
  • 1/4 tsp MSG (Optional but it does makes a huge difference. If someone says they can't consume food with MSG but has no problems eating Lay's potato chips or KFC fried chicken, then they don't have problems with MSG. It's all in their mind.)
  1. Heat up a well seasoned wok or pan and add five tablespoons of any high smoke point, neutral flavored cooking oil.
  2. Add chopped shallots and grated ginger until it sweats. I am not after it being golden brown.
  3. Then add chopped garlic chives until it wilts. If you are using garlic cloves, you simply just wait for it to soften because garlic burns fast)
  4. Then add your chili flakes and immediately add your Sichuan peppercorns, soy sauce, oyster sauce, tahini, and sugar.
  5. Then add the rest of your oil and let it heat up for at least three minutes in medium heat.
  6. Let it cool completely and transfer it to an airtight container preferably glass.
  7. You can store it in the fridge for at least 1 month.

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I'ma give my own chili oil recipe. I don't claim it to be the best but dang it is so good that I can actually sell it, imo.

Looks tasty! I've always though chili oil is pretty versatile when it comes to things. Ramen? Chili oil. Burgers? Chili oil. Rice? Chili oil. Happy to live close to a Korean mart to get all of their nice vegetables and spices lol. 

marinated chicken and veggies... some peanut oil for cooking...and rice

WP_20160504_003.jpg

WP_20160520_21_23_04_Rich.jpg

WP_20160520_22_03_54_Rich.jpg

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Minced beef, veggies, tomatoes rice... could have that every day ^^

WP_20160420_19_24_44_Rich.jpg

WP_20160420_19_24_54_Rich.jpg

WP_20160420_19_24_58_Rich.jpg

WP_20160528_19_52_07_Rich.jpg

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

12 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Since you asked nicely lol. I'ma give my own chili oil recipe. I don't claim it to be the best but dang it is so good that I can actually sell it, imo. I usually don't measure when I'm cooking but for the sake of everyone I included measurements. :old-grin:

• 1 to 2 cups of cooking oil (it has to be neutral flavored, high smoking point cooking oil with more unsaturated fats so that it remains liquid even in cold temperatures. NO OLIVE OIL OR COCONUT OIL FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup dried thai chili flakes (or any dried chili flakes available to you as long as it's not powdered chili flakes)
  • 1 tbsp Korean red chili flakes aka 고추가루 for intense red color (optional)
  • 1-2 medium sized chopped shallot as it provides the best flavor (red onion is a good substitute)
  • Garlic chives chopped 1" in length, about 1-3 ounces (if you can't find garlic chives, you can substitute it with five cloves of finely chopped garlic)
  • 1/2" peeled and grated fresh ginger (no ginger powder please!)
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp vegetarian stir-fry sauce (or oyster sauce)
  • 1/2 tablespoon of roasted tahini (finely pounded toasted sesame seeds is a good alternative, just make sure you don't use too much)
  • 1/2 tbsp sugar (or equal amount of monk fruit powder/stevia as sugar substitute)
  • 1-2 tbsp finely ground toasted Sichuan peppercorns (non-negotiable, you can't substitute this with any other peppercorns. You can get them at your nearest Asian grocery store or online)
  • 1/4 tsp MSG (Optional but it does makes a huge difference. If someone says they can't consume food with MSG but has no problems eating Lay's potato chips or KFC fried chicken, then they don't have problems with MSG. It's all in their mind.)
  1. Heat up a well seasoned wok or pan and add five tablespoons of any high smoke point, neutral flavored cooking oil.
  2. Add chopped shallots and grated ginger until it sweats. I am not after it being golden brown.
  3. Then add chopped garlic chives until it wilts. If you are using garlic cloves, you simply just wait for it to soften because garlic burns fast)
  4. Then add your chili flakes and immediately add your Sichuan peppercorns, soy sauce, oyster sauce, tahini, and sugar.
  5. Then add the rest of your oil and let it heat up for at least three minutes in medium heat.
  6. Let it cool completely and transfer it to an airtight container preferably glass.
  7. You can store it in the fridge for at least 1 month.

I can get a lot of this stuff, but would have to do some adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Chili Oil, Chili Con Carne which which is a Texas Stew, is combination of the Native of now Texas, Mexicans, and Americans Stews. In Spanish the phase translate into Chili with Meat. Chili is the name of the fruit that Hot.

At first is it working and poor people food. The Meat is low price cuts of beef that was crouse ground beef. And yes both Native Americans and and aforementioned people would have made the stew with beans.

For User who don't know.

I get the runs every time with Chili without beans. Now I need to actually make my own Chili. Eat other folks or Restaurant made. And yes I own a slow cooker. I highly prefer not eat the dish out of a can.

Sorry guys I meant ask for help making proper Chili Con Carne. No Tomatoes please. Onions should in the Stew. Fresh Chilies preferred. Beans are mandatory. Chili w/o beans is a Chili Sauce with Meat.

Not in Order:

1. Chili peppers

2. Dry Beans. No Pinto Beans

3. Garlic and other Seasonings and Spices.

4. Other extras aside from Tomatoes.

5. A few spoonfuls of Masa Flour

6. Thick enough to eaten with fork... It's suppose to be a Stew!