Ignoring stock fans, which cooler do you think has the best *heatsink*?

NewbieOne

Based on tests (D14 vs D15 vs TC14PE w/same fans, passive tests, etc.), I would be inclined to think D14 is slightly better than D15 in terms of the heatsink alone. TC14PE may be slightly better still and Silver Arrow may be slightly better than both, though it's hard to tell.

I haven't seen any tests for R1, Tisis or Okeanos with the same fans as D14/D15 or in passive mode.

And, of course, having the best passive performance in the entire lineup doesn't necessarily mean the same heatsink would also win in 300 rpm or 500 rpm ranges (not all heatsinks designed with minimum flow in mind will also be best with zero flow).

Bottom line: let's say you wanted to pursue the end game for air cooling. What would your end game for air cooling be?

3 minutes ago, NewbieOne said:

let's say you wanted to pursue the end game for air cooling. What would your end game for air cooling be?

the one that performs best in realistic scenarios, not the one with the best passive heatsink or the one that performs best at 300 rpm with standardized fans. 

which ultimately leads to the D15, I think.

thing is that you really cant ignore stock fans because literally every non-noctua air cooler/heatsink does best with some noctua fans stuck to it. and noctua has the best mounting system out of any manufacturer, period. that being said, i got my d15s basically for free, but it was pretty severely bent and i dont think its performing properly. even then it performs well.

really, my "end-game" air cooling solution is a chromax u12a, or whatever they come up with for next year's successor to the d15 with 14cm versions of the a12x25 fan. cant wait to see what they design, they make such kickass stuff lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

When you go to 300-500rpm range, something like Thermalright Macho or Scythe Ninja 5 works better. Less dense cooler so you dont need high static pressure to push air through.

Passive/semi-passive: Ninja 5/LGM RT/Macho

120mm cooler: Fuma 2 

Large dual tower cooler : D15, Assassin III maybe (I hate its ugly Logo)

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

I’ve had a few top coolers, Le Grand Macho RT is probably my favorite. I like it better than my old D14. The stock fan is quiet, you can use it with no fan, or you can pair it up with a TY-143 and let er rip. Great cooler, too bad their marketing and distribution suck, I would love to see them stick it to Noctua as they have become way over hyped over the years.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143