PC radomly restarts at all times, but never mid game

Mellow902

it's been over a month and i can't bear with it anymore, Every once in a while, I close my game to chill out for a bit and watch some youtube, my PC will just randomly restart. Sometimes it will randomly restart even though I haven't played a game recently, sometimes it restarts after a game loading screen ends (eg : after the loading screen of a league of legends game , when everyone summons into the rift, my pc restarts, and I got banned for afk because of it) .
the restart is a soft restart, the fans dont stop turning and the case is still lit when the restart happens, sometimes it takes 5 seconds to restart and sometimes a minute.
What I'm aware of is : it is most likely a gpu related problem, it could be a gpu drivers problem but I check daily my amd radeon software and it says "up to date" and I instantly update it when it says "a new update is available" (my gpu is amd 5700 xt sapphire pulse).
Idk why, but my PC has not restarted once in the middle of a game. It happens everyday, and I don't know what to do about it. Anybody got any tips? 

ps: this is a remake of an old discussion but I added a lot of new info to it

Generally, computer rebooting randomly can be caused by many reasons, for example, the misbehaving automatically restarting feature, overheating or a faulty power supply, a faulty RAM, a virus or malware issue, driver problems, Windows update, etc.

so check all of those first

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

Can you provide full specs?

Barring the spec list, I would first check PSU with known good PSU.

I was having issues with restarts for a few years.  They were rare and only occured when I had youtube + a game running at the same time.  Eventually I updated the BIOS which tweaked the default power management settings, and after 3 months my system is crash free

I had something similar too... never happened in games.

was a new mobo (tomahawk max)

I think I tried updating the bios but failed due to MSI's insufficient instructions and sloppy programming (it just wouldn't work) 

returned the board, issue is gone.

so either it was a faulty board, or faulty bios (more likely)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

24 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I think I tried updating the bios but failed due to MSI's insufficient instructions and sloppy programming (it just wouldn't work) 

Yup, my mobo issue is with my aging Z190 by Gigabyte.  Update from 2016 version 6 to newest version 22f from 2018 did the trick.  It has made me more diligent about BIOS updates going forward.  It also gave a more stable, higher OC.

I faced such an issue some time ago with my PC. Turns out that my UPS was misbehaving and I then needed another UPS. But it would restart even while working and even while playing games. It was not biased in the favor of games. 

The bios/psu suggestions are a good idea.

I would also see about starting to turn off things you don't need to troubleshoot (audio, extra usb devices like printers etc)

Then try out the system, if it stops then that device or the power level is the issue.

Also try to see about trying just hte microsoft driver instead of the amd one. It may be slower, but might work better with a recent windows update. a long shot but is a simple thing to try.

19 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

Can you provide full specs?

Barring the spec list, I would first check PSU with known good PSU.

PSU is corsair rm 650W, other specs are : ryzen 5 3600, msi b450 mortar max, g skill V series 2 x 8 GO 16 cl RAM

19 hours ago, dkoudijs said:

The bios/psu suggestions are a good idea.

I would also see about starting to turn off things you don't need to troubleshoot (audio, extra usb devices like printers etc)

Then try out the system, if it stops then that device or the power level is the issue.

Also try to see about trying just hte microsoft driver instead of the amd one. It may be slower, but might work better with a recent windows update. a long shot but is a simple thing to try.

20 hours ago, Zenith_X1 said:

Yup, my mobo issue is with my aging Z190 by Gigabyte.  Update from 2016 version 6 to newest version 22f from 2018 did the trick.  It has made me more diligent about BIOS updates going forward.  It also gave a more stable, higher OC.

20 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

20 hours ago, Zenith_X1 said:

I was having issues with restarts for a few years.  They were rare and only occured when I had youtube + a game running at the same time.  Eventually I updated the BIOS which tweaked the default power management settings, and after 3 months my system is crash free

I just started with updating BIOS as a first step, i just finished the flash thing right now, and i ll update you asap on wether or not the problem is solved