Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reddit user discovers msi scalping own 3080s on ebay for massive profits

2 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

What kind of slapping is Nvidia capable of doing to MSI? This is a bit of a first I think, but my history on these things is a bit lacking.

i dont think any. tbh this really isn't the first time manufacturers are selling above msrp. ( as i questioned earlier) in the end, its just bad press for nvidia which they might not really care. in the end they still sell chips.

It seems like MSI is doing damage control and they know their backs are stuck to the wall. Where we go from here is anybody's guess.

3 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

So starlit was mistakenly given rtx 3080s and priced them hundreds of dollars above msrp?

I too want to be mistakenly given some RTX 3080. Specifically, 1 mistakenly received RTX 3080 will do.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | AORUS GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

8 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

GN seems to believe them? Or at least their reply on that seems like they feel this is a legitmate reason. Seems more like we got caught so here's a nice story.

Daily reminder this "individual sales subsidiary" always lists their only address as the MSI US HQ.

Coming Soon: MOAR COARS: 5GHz Confirmed Black Edition™ The Build

IMO, this response from MSI is still not good enough. It still doesn't answer the main question - Why was MSI/Starlit selling 3080s at $1300?

Nobody has a problem with Starlit selling 3080s, people just have a problem with them being sold at ridiculous prices.

5 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

So starlit was mistakenly given rtx 3080s and priced them hundreds of dollars above msrp?

Yes. They accidentally received stock from MSI and they accidentally listed them at almost twice MSRP. It was just a prank pricing error, bro.

Just like when they accidentally threatened reviewers to give positive reviews.

There seems to be a lot of issues going on at MSI if this sort of stuff keeps happening.

Just now, S w a t s o n said:

GN seems to believe them? Or at least their reply on that seems like they feel this is a legitmate reason. Seems more like we got caught so here's a nice story

I think Gamers Nexus is being sensible and right now is just assessing all of the information, without jumping to conclusions. They're probably still talking to people and getting statements and what-not. It'll be interesting to see their video on the subject.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

GN seems to believe them? Or at least their reply on that seems like they feel this is a legitmate reason. Seems more like we got caught so here's a nice story

Why would Starlit price the card hundreds of dollars over msrp if it’s a place to dump excess inventory?

2 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Why would Starlit price the card hundreds of dollars over msrp if it’s a place to dump excess inventory?

Exactly. The more I read their response, the more it starts to feel like someone panicked and typed in whatever their already panicked supervisor told them to type. 

GN is live

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

23 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Not a chance but that's the excuse they're going with. Given the supply problems their retail partners and Nvidia will likely be requesting lots of information about the status of shipments and MSI will be keeping a close eye on them. There's no way this flew under the radar.

so yes it was an MSI owned company. supposedly its an internal issue where starlit shouldn't have access to RTX30, they are suppose to sell refurbished or overstocked

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

So it was a company owned by MSI scalping cards, not sure how MSI wasn't aware of this, it seems kinda scummy. I would definately consider other aib's over MSI because of this, and the whole controversy over a laptop review which msi tried to bribe the reviewer to cover up any criticism.

Haven't seen the GN live stream, but sounds like damage control to me. Got caught finessing and want to play the half. Even if they got a hold of cards they shouldn't have, as a subsidiary why would they markup the price and not just sell for retail or below like on the rest of their stuff? Not gonna play me and say MSI is innocent here. FOH 

Edit: @Random_Person1234 Exactly. Didn't see your post, lol.

CPU: Ryzen  3700x | GPU: Powercolor 550XT 8GB | Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM: Geil Evo 3600mhz 16GB

Hard Drives: WD SN550 NVME 1TB, 860 Evo 500GB | Case: be Quiet Silent Base 802| PSU: Corsair RM 750 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Monitors: Acer KG240 144Hz / Acer V203H 60hz

I have not watched the GN video yet regarding it, only going off what I have seen, but I am calling BS... I don't believe it personally. Sadly, this will kill my personal like of MSI and can not use there products in the future or recommend them myself :( Way to shady and a PR Bullshit answer. 

PSU Tier List Thread

Please make sure to Quote me or Tag me to see your reply!

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-16-36 3600mhz | Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asus B450-F Strix | 32gb Gskill Flare X 3000mhz | Corsair RM550x | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2 | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Hope some got into trouble over this, cos this is just insane.

45 minutes ago, Escanor said:

Hope some got into trouble over this, cos this is just insane.

Nobody got in trouble. Just a public spanking to appease the masses. "We'll make sure this never happens again"  MSI knew what they were doing. 3080's and 90's are the most sought after product in the PC world right now, but you aren't keeping a handle on product location? Sounds good, lol

CPU: Ryzen  3700x | GPU: Powercolor 550XT 8GB | Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM: Geil Evo 3600mhz 16GB

Hard Drives: WD SN550 NVME 1TB, 860 Evo 500GB | Case: be Quiet Silent Base 802| PSU: Corsair RM 750 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Monitors: Acer KG240 144Hz / Acer V203H 60hz

Well, apparently Nvidia is now involved per JayzTwoCents and now Linus, and depending on what Nvidia finds out, they might go nuclear on MSI and drop them from their AIB program.

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I have not watched the GN video yet regarding it, only going off what I have seen, but I am calling BS... I don't believe it personally. Sadly, this will kill my personal like of MSI and can not use there products in the future or recommend them myself :( Way to shady and a PR Bullshit answer. 

I’ll be suspicious of ANY YouTuber who isn’t outraged by this.

The way I see it is that depending on what Nvidia determines is the truth, if they do decide to punish MSI, I can see them go with one of three options, depending on how angry Nvidia is:

1. Temporary suspension of MSI from AIB program: Basically, MSI gets dropped from Nvidia's AIB program, with remaining contracts with MSI fullfilled. Nvidia will reinstate MSI at a later date once Nvidia is satisfied that MSI has cleaned up their act.

2. Permanent suspension of MSI from AIB program, but allow existing contracts to be fulfilled. MSI can still make Nvidia cards, just with existing inventory and orders until they run out, and from there on, MSI is on it's own.

3. Permanent suspension of MSI from AIB program, with immediate termination. That means Nvidia immediately cuts off MSI from all Nvidia chips directly from them, demands MSI stop selling Nvidia cards, and return inventory.

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

snip

I just checked the Bloomberg link. 

MSI Computer Corporation’s board of directors consists exclusively of 2 Micro Star International Co Ltd employees. 

This means that MSI employees are literally scalping 3080s. It’s not some 3rd party here.

90976FA0-AA24-4C60-8FDF-4DCC187C21F9.thumb.png.bfcd3d0a56810c569126e35da2b144a2.png

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

25 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

I’ll be suspicious of ANY YouTuber who isn’t outraged by this.

I think Gamers Nexus is being reasonable by taking a neutral stance with this, sure MSI did a really stupid thing here, but there's no point in getting outraged as we don't know all the details on this and Nvidia hasn't responded yet.

49 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think Gamers Nexus is being reasonable by taking a neutral stance with this, sure MSI did a really stupid thing here, but there's no point in getting outraged as we don't know all the details on this and Nvidia hasn't responded yet.

Would MSI do anything, or even issue that statement, if it weren’t for the outrage that’s ensued on Twitter and Reddit?

I also think GN is a bit of a hypocrite.