Is leaving my pc on a game all night bad?

Cyphuss

Hi, I’ve created this post beCause my keyboard and mouse randomly shut off while leaving my computer on all night in a game for a autofarm I have. It wouldn’t turn back on even reconnecting it didn’t help. My keyboard, mouse, and headset transmitter turned off except my mouse pad. Will my pc break down or will my psu die?

i haven't turned off some of my pcs in months, no it will not break your PC.

1 minute ago, Danioki said:

i haven't turned off some of my pcs in months, no it will not break your PC.

Yeah I know that but leaving it on a game is that bad?

3 minutes ago, Cyphuss said:

Hi, I’ve created this post beCause my keyboard and mouse randomly shut off while leaving my computer on all night in a game for a autofarm I have. It wouldn’t turn back on even reconnecting it didn’t help. My keyboard, mouse, and headset transmitter turned off except my mouse pad. Will my pc break down or will my psu die?

If you're not doing this continuously 24/7, it shouldn't. Leaving your computer overnight should be no different than using it for the entire day from 10AM to 10PM (which a lot of people these days are doing because of remote learning and work).

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, Cyphuss said:

Yeah I know that but leaving it on a game is that bad?

As long as it doesn't overheat or anything, it should be fine to do this every now and then. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

11 minutes ago, Cyphuss said:

Will my pc break down or will my psu die?

Only one way to try! In reality failures are to be expected but extremely uncommon. Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Historically speaking; you're MORE likely to kill a computer by turning it off and on each day, as each time that happens you're sending surges of power in to key components like the CPU, GPU, chipset, RAM, drives & monitor (especially CRT's) to wake them up and prepare them for operation.

Nowadays, leaving a computer idling overnight instead of sleep or hibernation (with trickle power to components and not surges to wake them) is only gonna make a difference to your power bill more than component longevity as systems and parts are built with better quality, tolerances and power efficiencies than in the past.

My advice: if you're not going to be using your computer for 4+ hours and are not planning on moving or taking it apart, then putting it in to a sleep or hibernate mode is your best option if you want to save a bit on your power bill when it's otherwise idling away.

Plus it means you don't need to wait for it to go through the cold-boot process and take time loading programs from scratch as sleep and hibernate copy the state of active programs in memory and store it on the system's drive before flushing the memory to prepare for lack of power, with a command to move the stored info from drive back to memory when the system starts loading the OS again (usually takes less than 15-30 seconds for most folks).

30 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

Historically speaking; you're MORE likely to kill a computer by turning it off and on each day, as each time that happens you're sending surges of power in to key components like the CPU, GPU, chipset, RAM, drives & monitor (especially CRT's) to wake them up and prepare them for operation.

Welp my desktop has been going strong for 7 years of that. Though I would argue additional wear and tear (especially with HDDs) would negate those effects of surges of power. 

33 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Welp my desktop has been going strong for 7 years of that. Though I would argue additional wear and tear (especially with HDDs) would negate those effects of surges of power. 

Not really, HDD's have features to 'park' the heads and slow down the drives when not being read from/written to to save power and wear and tear.

Otherwise, there's not much 'wear and tear' from solid-state parts like CPU, GPU, chipset & RAM (or SSD for that matter) once they've had the initial surge to initiate their functions, as long as the electrons freely flow and the parts aren't cooking from being worked to their limits.

31 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

Not really, HDD's have features to 'park' the heads and slow down the drives when not being read from/written to to save power and wear and tear.

Knowing Windows though, it'll inevitably find some random things to do that demands I/O operations once in a while when at idle. 

Sure the folks in Blender Artists have left their PCs running multiple days under 100% full load with few, if any problems. Definitely some people mining or running Folding@home as well. There were times I left my desktop and laptops running around the clock for renders or lengthy video encodes. I still keep the front panel LEDs (HDD and Power indicators) disconnected specifically for this reason, actually. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv