Gaming / music production build advice

Gubazi

Budget (including currency): $1500

Country: 'merica, going to wait for black friday / cyber monday / holiday deals

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

I built my current rig in 2012 (z77 extreme4 / i5-3570k / GTX660 / Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB boot drive with HDDs for storage) and it has served me well and is still going strong. My main issues are it can't really run some of the newer AAA games I would like to play (MSFT Flight Simulator), though it does fine with rocket league which is 90% of my gaming anyways (currently using 1080p 60hz monitor though I am considering an upgrade to 1440p 144hz) and slower loading of large sound libraries that I am using an HDD for now due to their size (Will there be a meaningful difference between NVME vs SATA SSDs? I guess they're priced pretty close at the 2TB size, so I'm leaning towards NVME) I will regularly stream, but to several friends over discord, not twitch. I I will edit video (DaVinci or Premiere) very rarely. I do work with graphics (photoshop/illustrator) as a hobby, but this is also rare. I do use bluestacks and find that it will lag especially when a new chrome tab is loading, but otherwise it works ok. I can't think of any other intensive use cases that apply to me other than usually having 10+ chrome/FF tabs open.

My tentative parts list:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zWjKHz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($127.99 @ Walmart) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($156.41 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($0.00) 
Storage: Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card  ($309.99 @ Walmart) 
Case: Rosewill SPECTRA D100 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.38 @ Walmart) 
Monitor: NEC LCD2090UXi-BK-1 20.1" 1600x1200 Monitor  ($0.00) 
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor  ($0.00) 
External Storage: Western Digital Elements 2 TB External Hard Drive  ($0.00) 
Custom: ECHOGEAR Triple Monitor Desk Mount Stand For Screens Up To 24 Inches - Height-Adjustable For Comfortable Gaming & Work - Works With 3 Vertical Or Horizontal Monitors - Perfect For Array-Style Gaming  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1514.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-06 18:36 EDT-0400

Questions:

Will building a PC in the next couple of months give me a notable upgrade in terms of performance (>20%) other than being able to play newer games?

I am still on the fence over upgrading my monitor, I will for sure be getting a third monitor as I am running out of space when multitasking (Multiple PDFs/word/excel/browser windows) - will be making trips to best buy and microcenter for hands on assessment.

I have not read about parts basically since I built my current PC and am familiarizing myself with the new landscape now and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Gubazi said:

Will building a PC in the next couple of months give me a notable upgrade in terms of performance (>20%) other than being able to play newer games?

Nah, the new pc will actually be 20% slower than the old one.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I would do a build like this.

Get a next gen ryzen ( come out on the 8th and can be bought either 20th or 27th) probably the 5700x

Get whatever 3070 you can

I gave you a good mobo on the list, get a good b550, instead of a shit x570.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Gubazi said:

I built my current rig in 2012 (z77 extreme4 / i5-3570k / GTX660 / Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB boot drive with HDDs for storage) and it has served me well and is still going strong. My main issues are it can't really run some of the newer AAA games I would like to play (MSFT Flight Simulator), though it does fine with rocket league which is 90% of my gaming anyways (currently using 1080p 60hz monitor though I am considering an upgrade to 1440p 144hz) and slower loading of large sound libraries that I am using an HDD for now due to their size (Will there be a meaningful difference between NVME vs SATA SSDs? I guess they're priced pretty close at the 2TB size, so I'm leaning towards NVME) I will regularly stream, but to several friends over discord, not twitch. I I will edit video (DaVinci or Premiere) very rarely. I do work with graphics (photoshop/illustrator) as a hobby, but this is also rare. I do use bluestacks and find that it will lag especially when a new chrome tab is loading, but otherwise it works ok. I can't think of any other intensive use cases that apply to me other than usually having 10+ chrome/FF tabs open.

My tentative parts list:

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($156.41 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card  ($309.99 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.38 @ Walmart) 
Custom: ECHOGEAR Triple Monitor Desk Mount Stand For Screens Up To 24 Inches - Height-Adjustable For Comfortable Gaming & Work - Works With 3 Vertical Or Horizontal Monitors - Perfect For Array-Style Gaming  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 

Questions:

I am still on the fence over upgrading my monitor, I will for sure be getting a third monitor as I am running out of space when multitasking (Multiple PDFs/word/excel/browser windows) - will be making trips to best buy and microcenter for hands on assessment.

I have not read about parts basically since I built my current PC and am familiarizing myself with the new landscape now and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Since this is a future build wait. Like for real wait ryzen 5000 is around the corner and we are getting a heap of new gpu's. Also you have have a massively better build for 1500$

11 minutes ago, Gubazi said:

My tentative parts list:

Questions:

Thank you!

@HelpfulTechWizard is joking, as in sure you already know.

Yeh this PC will be a whole lot better than your previous build. Games will run much better on the new build and just having DDR4 will improve speeds. 

Also that 8 core CPU will crush basically any multi threaded application so you have nothing to worry about. 

Maybe wait a few months till Nvidia release their new budget cards.

I left AMD out as you will be using premiere and the Nvidia cards perform much better. 

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

Just now, CloudPC said:

@HelpfulTechWizard is joking, as in sure you already know.

Yeh this PC will be a whole lot better than your previous build. Games will run much better on the new build and just having DDR4 will improve speeds. 

Also that 8 core CPU will crush basically any multi threaded application so you have nothing to worry about. 

Maybe wait a few months till Nvidia release their new budget cards.

I left AMD out as you will be using premiere and the Nvidia cards perform much better. 

lol, 1500 is perfect for a 3070, and you could stick in a next gen ryzen cpu.

You added? wheres the list?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Gubazi said:

My tentative parts list:

Questions:

Thank you!

yeh as someone else has already said i say wait for the new zen 3 processors for ryzen and the new gpu coming out this month october, around the same prices but better performances 

Thanks guys, I'll wait and see. Appreciate the advice.