Choosing a good laptop for College - HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Hey guys! I am a Mechanical Engineering Master's student who primarily works with software's like Ansys, Solidworks, Matlab etc. with some photo editing and casual gaming from time to time. I need help in choosing a laptop with preferred specs as follows: Windows 10, Intel Core i7/ i5 H series chip (must), 16gb ram, 512gb SSD, a solid battery backup min 5-6 hrs, atleast Nvidia GTX GPU and good cooling. My budget is around $1000-$1300. I am not considering Ryzen CPUs. Any and all suggestions regarding laptops and specs changes are welcome!

25 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

think about one of the new Ryzen 4000 Laptops

21 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

Thanks for the recommendation, but I am not primarily considering AMD CPUs.

Thinkpad E/L > ProBook (in my personal small experience. Thinkpads have a slightly better Keyboard, a Trackpoint, and are more sturdy buildwise.

Elitebook vs. Thinkpad T series is another question, Elitebook is a good jump from ProBook (entry level business).

Get at least a Ryzen 5 4500u, or Ryzen 7 4700u, if you need a bit more CPU power. 8 Cores instead of 6.

Or even models with H-series, or Ryzen Pro. They come with SMT, and offer double the Thread amount.

But i dare to say, ANYTHING a Student would do with a Laptop, a Ryzen 5 4500u is absolutely fine.

There is literaly no reason to prefer Intel here. Less Cores, less Performance, less Power efficiency.
Both are x86_64 architectures, so all Software will run on them.

Business Notebooks often don't come with a dedicated GPU.

You could consider an Asus Zephyrus G14 with Ryzen and Nvidia GPU?

4 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Thinkpad E/L > ProBook (in my personal small experience. Thinkpads have a slightly better Keyboard, a Trackpoint, and are more sturdy buildwise.

Elitebook vs. Thinkpad T series is another question, Elitebook is a good jump from ProBook (entry level business).

Get at least a Ryzen 5 4500u, or Ryzen 7 4700u, if you need a bit more CPU power. 8 Cores instead of 6.

Or even models with H-series, or Ryzen Pro. They come with SMT, and offer double the Thread amount.

But i dare to say, ANYTHING a Student would do with a Laptop, a Ryzen 5 4500u is absolutely fine.

There is literaly no reason to prefer Intel here. Less Cores, less Performance, less Power efficiency.

Alright....thanks! Do you think that Dell Vostro 15 7500 or Dell Inspiron 15 7501 are viable options? Especially their thermals.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/new-vostro-15-7500/spd/vostro-15-7500-laptop/smv157w10pc1003

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-15-7000-touch-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-7501-laptop/nn7501eiivh?configurationid=fa9fa832-b164-4e35-97e4-5e285d127f41

The ram can be upgraded later on for the Inspiron.

13 hours ago, Darkseth said:

The reason I am not considering Ryzen is because it's long term performance is an unknown. I will not be buying another laptop for the next 5-7 years. Hence Intel!

I would have to look Reviews up to check any kind of Thermal differences.
But Dell is rarely "bad". However, the Vostro

Same with the Inspiron model. But if i'm not mistaken, the Vostro should be entry Business, and Inspiron Consumer.

What exactly do you mean with "Long term performance"?
If it's faster now, it will be faster in 5 years, and it will be faster in 20 years. It's not like the Ryzen will become slower, while Intel doesn't.

If anything, it's the other way around. Ryzen exists since only a few Years, and if there is any Software not optimized, it will be less optimized for Ryzen --> it gets better in the Future, since Ryzen has beaten Intel now, and gains popularity and market share very quickly. Software in the Future will just get optimized better and better to run well with Ryzen architecture.

So long term performance would also be Pro Ryzen.

18 hours ago, Student Matrix said:

Hey guys! I am a Mechanical Engineering Master's student who primarily works with software's like Ansys, Solidworks, Matlab etc. with some photo editing and casual gaming from time to time. I need help in choosing a laptop with preferred specs as follows: Windows 10, Intel Core i7/ i5 H series chip (must), 16gb ram, 512gb SSD, a solid battery backup min 5-6 hrs, atleast Nvidia GTX GPU and good cooling. My budget is around $1000-$1300. I am not considering Ryzen CPUs. Any and all suggestions regarding laptops and specs changes are welcome!

The Ryzen chips are faster...

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

6 hours ago, Darkseth said:

I would have to look Reviews up to check any kind of Thermal differences.
But Dell is rarely "bad". However, the Vostro

Same with the Inspiron model. But if i'm not mistaken, the Vostro should be entry Business, and Inspiron Consumer.

What exactly do you mean with "Long term performance"?
If it's faster now, it will be faster in 5 years, and it will be faster in 20 years. It's not like the Ryzen will become slower, while Intel doesn't.

If anything, it's the other way around. Ryzen exists since only a few Years, and if there is any Software not optimized, it will be less optimized for Ryzen --> it gets better in the Future, since Ryzen has beaten Intel now, and gains popularity and market share very quickly. Software in the Future will just get optimized better and better to run well with Ryzen architecture.

So long term performance would also be Pro Ryzen.

Fair enough! Ryzen does open up a lot more options.... I'll look into those too. Thanks, cheers!