Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A lot of android users could be switching to iphone because of long term support and privacy

This may be controversial, and I don't know if it's just me who thinks this way, but since the survey sample is based solely in the United States, Android users may be more inclined to switch to an iPhone because of peer pressure, while citing software support and privacy as another reason.

iMessage is pretty prominent here in North America, and Android users are usually left out of group chats because of messages being sent via SMS rather than iMessage. There's also this hate on "green bubbles" when I was in high school. This is less of an issue in other parts of the world where majority of people may message each other through Discord, Telegram, WhatsApp, WeChat and other chat clients I may not be aware of.

Most of you may disagree, since this is a enthusiast forum, but your average consumer probably thinks software updates are a pain in the ass. Sure, the new iOS 14 widgets are nice and all, but it can be inconvenient. I'm not sure whether this happens or not, since I've only seen this happen to my mom and my older brother, but there have been times where my mom comes back to her charging iPhone and it's updating, causing her to wait until it is done before she can finally send that message she's been meaning to send. I'm sure the phone notifies you, but my mom doesn't recall seeing it.

As more and more people are on social media, there's also this sudden need for status. The modern iPhone is not just a device used for communication anymore, it is a piece of jewelry. When the iPhone 12 Pro (Max?) is released, I bet you, every girl on Instagram will hold the new iPhone in their hands showing off their newly done nails in the driver seat of some higher end car. I'm just stereotyping at this point, but just know, this happens. Newer iPhones seem to turn heads. 

Of course, this is all coming from an Android user, but this is all from what I've seen.

"But @KenTees, you're just making up all these perfect scenarios, so it fits your narrative!"

You're damn right I am.

12 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

I love this meme that iOS is more secure and/or private than latest Android.

Fun fact, some phone exploiters charge more to hack Android devices.

It is also important to note, the latest Android is only as secured as how well the manufacturer implemented the security patch. Some Android OEMs were caught delivering fake security patches. Google has since started cracking down on these OEMs, hopefully.

This security is further enhanced with Samsung's KNOX and Google's Titan chip.

Here are two articles that explain why modern Android (with proper implementation!) is pretty secure.

palone.blog

Medium

One thing I found interesting about the Medium post is that, iCloud backups lack end-to-end encryption...

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

19 hours ago, maplepants said:

And in terms of long term support, you can run iOS 14 on an iPhone 6 which came out in 2015.

Actually, iOS 12.4.8 is the current version for iPhone 6, due to the 1GB RAM in the device and iOS 13+ wants 2GB or more of RAM to officially update (like High Sierra is the last you can put on a mid-2010 Macbook as Mojave wants a GPU with Metal API support officially).

But still, if there comes out a problem with iOS 12 that hasn't been fixed already, Apple is more likely to fix it and do so for at least another year or so, rather than let it rot unlike Android.

Been rocking my 36GB iPhone 6 since late-2016 and I'd happy with it, though wouldn't mind updating to a iPhone 12 in a year's time or so if funds permit.

I don't care how hard life gets, I'm not using no wack ass iPhone, lol.

Leonidas

Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6800 XT | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz 16GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Monitors: Acer Nitro XV272U 1440p 170 Hz IPS / Acer KG240 1080p 144 Hz TN 

2 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

I don't care how hard life gets, I'm not using no wack ass iPhone, lol.

Used to say the same thing. *Holds up iPhone XR* 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Used to say the same thing. *Holds up iPhone XR* 

I told friends and family that I'd buy at least one iPhone in my lifetime. Almost bought an iPhone 11 pro? (Whatever was under the max) Then I looked at the price, then the features. Then my conscious kicked in and said "lol, no." So there was that. 😆 

Leonidas

Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6800 XT | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz 16GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

I don't trust surveys - because I don't trust the kind of person that responds to surveys. Idle FB normies with too much free time.

21 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

I told friends and family that I'd buy at least one iPhone in my lifetime. Almost bought an iPhone 11 pro? (Whatever was under the max) Then I looked at the price, then the features. Then my conscious kicked in and said "lol, no." So there was that. 😆 

Well, that's the problem. Everyone just look at stupid specs that tell you absolutely nothing. What good is killer chipset, display and camera when you stop getting software updates after just 2 years. Sure it'll still work, but you'll be stuck with old OS version. Imagine today using Windows Vista on PC. Sure it works, but do you really want to? I'd run Windows 10, the same way I'd want to run at least Android 10 on any phone that is in use today.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

and more than that would be switching to android because its not overpriced locked eco system that rather throw out your phones and give you a replacement rather than fixing it, what's new ?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 1070 OC Strix | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Well, that's the problem. Everyone just look at stupid specs that tell you absolutely nothing. What good is killer chipset, display and camera when you stop getting software updates after just 2 years. Sure it'll still work, but you'll be stuck with old OS version. Imagine today using Windows Vista on PC. Sure it works, but do you really want to? I'd run Windows 10, the same way I'd want to run at least Android 10 on any phone that is in use today.

I can get a Android phone that costs half of what an iphone does, and still get more features, some OEM's provide 3 years of updates, and another year of patches, and you don't need to update the OS to keep apps up to date. I don't care so much about having the latest OS as I do patches, but most people don't care about OS updates, or will trade in their phone every 1-2 years.

6 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

and more than that would be switching to android because its not overpriced locked eco system that rather throw out your phones and give you a replacement rather than fixing it, what's new ?

And here we go for the 3000th broken record loop of locked down ecosystem comments. Have you actually seen one or you're just repeating same nonsense others are saying without ever even seeing iOS in person like ever?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And here we go for the 3000th broken record loop of locked down ecosystem comments. Have you actually seen one or you're just repeating same nonsense others are saying without ever even seeing iOS in person like ever?

so you agree with the rest of what i just said ? cool. i too hate strawmans. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 1070 OC Strix | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

It's rarely the system developer's fault when personal data gets stolen/leaked though.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.1Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

19 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

I see so many people saying an iphone lasts 5 years,except good luck when the battery needs replacing or something breaks, and you need to recover data from the phone.

You're stuck going to the apple store and they can tell you to buy a new one, LTT did a video on data recovery, Apple will tell you to send the device to drivesavers because the company charges $900-2000 USD for recovery. Most people will just go back to apple and buy a new phone.

16 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

so you agree with the rest of what i just said ? cool. i too hate strawmans. 

No, it's just everyone repeating "muh locked ecosystem" like parrots and I'm sitting here with an iPhone with hands raised in confusion "Where?!". Where is this mythical "locked down" ecosystem? Am I somehow not allowed to use Netflix and I'm forced to use Apple TV+ or whatever it's called? Am I not allowed to use whatever cloud provider I have? Am I not allowed to use password manager of choice? Which is it? If dumb launchers and themes constitute as "ecosystem" then f**k me. No sideloading? I had Androids for a decade and I used sideloading like 5 times in total. Oooo big difference. Restricted NFC, restricted browser engine, restricted BT use, restriction to App Store only, all this is like a tiny inconvenience that don't even bother you over time anymore and some things you even start to appreciate. Like quality of apps coz on GooglePlay there is just SO MUCH literal trash just existing there to steal user data or spam you with ads and Google is acting like everything is fine (that dog in burning room meme is fitting). People just exaggerate this so far out of proportions it's not a realistic experience at all.

54 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Tells me I get more for less. But this more of a some like Pepsi, some like Coke situation. iPhones just aren't for me and I'll leave it at that. 

Leonidas

I have been using the same Nokia 8 now for like 3 years and I still do not feel compelled to change phone. Lets face it the change smartphone every year deal is over and that's why big names like Apple are going crazy.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)
42 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

snip

tenor.gif?itemid=9513667

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

23 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

Tells me I get more for less. But this more of a some like Pepsi, some like Coke situation. iPhones just aren't for me and I'll leave it at that. 

But have you actually owned one or are "iPhones just not for you" because you hear these myths about "walled garden" "closed ecosystems" that are spread by people who never even actually used iOS? Coz I was in that exact situation because of idiots like that who were spreading BS around. iOS is the exact same crap as Android. It has certain limitations or differences on one end and major benefits on other, like totally different software support and updating.

53 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I see so many people saying an iphone lasts 5 years,except good luck when the battery needs replacing or something breaks, and you need to recover data from the phone.

You're stuck going to the apple store and they can tell you to buy a new one, LTT did a video on data recovery, Apple will tell you to send the device to drivesavers because the company charges $900-2000 USD for recovery. Most people will just go back to apple and buy a new phone.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

24 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9513667

Sums up the usual BS arguments against iPhone or iOS perfectly. You didn't state a single "point". You just repeated same bullshit everyone keeps repeating. Which I'd even believe you if I wasn't actually using iPhone and know it's not even true. Also nice animation of yourself there...

@RejZoR I don't think people mean by a locked down ecosystem that you can't use whatever services you want (and if they do then they're blatantly wrong). The main way that's true is that switching devices between platforms is an ordeal, but that's as much Google's fault as Apples. However, there are also various places where Apple tries to push you into using their services but, as you say, they're never forced.

But even that isn't the actual problem. The actual problem is a few places in the OS and hardware design where Apple just says "f*ck you, you do it our way or no way".

For example, backups. I don't want crap about how iCloud is amazing and keeps everything working seemlessly. I know all of that already. But why is it that I can't just plug an iPhone into my PC and pull off the data? And why can't I put in an SD card? And why aren't you using a USB-C connector when single other high-end device does? (Even if it is rumoured on the new ones, they are incredibly late to the party)

Also, why can't I rearrange icons on the home screen to the bottom? Why no searching on the T-9 keypad? I know not everyone uses it, but still - they are tiny, simple creature comforts which some people enjoy, and which detract NOTHING from the overall experience and a trillion dollar company can't add them to their product? Really?

Indeed I don't actually think iPhones themselves are terrible, and if someone has the money and genuinely prefers an iPhone (iPhones are more idiot-proof too so better for those unfamiliar with the technology as well) then I have no issue recommending one. It's the attitude of the company that pisses me off.

In fact, I might even buy an iPhone for my next device, if there is a suitable one, but even the current SE is more than I have ever spent on a phone before. There are some things I love about the iPhone. But equally there are some things every day that an iPhone doesn't do that I can't do. And if Android does what you want then there is no reason to switch to iPhone, given the costs you have to pay, both literally and figuratively.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

But have you actually owned one or are "iPhones just not for you" because you hear these myths about "walled garden" "closed ecosystems" that are spread by people who never even actually used iOS? Coz I was in that exact situation because of idiots like that who were spreading BS around. iOS is the exact same crap as Android. It has certain limitations or differences on one end and major benefits on other, like totally different software support and updating.

Nah, nothing like that. I've never been one for brand loyalty and make my own decisions. 90% of my family and friends own iPhones, so just playing around on theirs and forming my own opinion. Don't know if this is still the case, but I know back in the day I hated the idea of uploading music to my phone through Apple Music or whatever thing they had going at the time. Especially coming from just click and drag with my android, but times have changed so I don't know. I still may get an iPhone to say I had one, one day, but that day hasn't arrive yet and from the looks of it, no time soon.

Leonidas

7 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

Nah, nothing like that. I've never been one for brand loyalty and make my own decisions. 90% of my family and friends own iPhones, so just playing around on theirs and forming my own opinion. Don't know if this is still the case, but I know back in the day I hated the idea of uploading music to my phone through Apple Music or whatever thing they had going at the time. Especially coming from just click and drag with my android, but times have changed so I don't know. I still may get an iPhone to say I had one, one day, but that day hasn't arrive yet and from the looks of it, no time soon.

You really need to use one for longer to realize it's not bad at all. Just playing with it and e like "uh that's annoying" and throwing it away doens't paint the right picture. I was like that till I really started using it and now it's literally the same experience as with any Android.

6 hours ago, KenTees said:

Fun fact, some phone exploiters charge more to hack Android devices.

It is also important to note, the latest Android is only as secured as how well the manufacturer implemented the security patch. Some Android OEMs were caught delivering fake security patches. Google has since started cracking down on these OEMs, hopefully.

That's interesting. That's more reason to never use an Android device for any daily-driver device. That's all you need is the 2FA apps leaking from a bad OS. Probably less of an issue if you have an older device that is offline and only used for doing things on the device itself (like reading books.) 

Anyway, I feel that people like to perpetuate a myth about security by pointing to an OS and go "seee, they bad" but conveniently ignore it when it happens to their own device's OS. This is especially bad when comparing desktop OS's. Remember the myth about Mac's don't get viruses, that is still perpetuated to this day.

What is factually true is that developers sometimes make mistakes. Somehow Android vendors either keep making them, or fake "patching" their devices for some reason that I can only assume has to do with flaws in how Android vendors don't run the same copy of Android on all their devices due to different hardware, and less due to carelessness. 

If you've ever seen source code fly by on Linux during a compilations stage you'll typically see lots of "skipped" or "warnings" that get silently ignored, and it's possible that the way the security patches get applied to source code probably hard-fail, and whatever the process is that packages them probably updates the patch notes/version without actually checking that the patch was applied.

7 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That's more reason to never use an Android device for any daily-driver device.

Or just get a phone from a manufacturer that does things properly? (Or open bootloader and get an AOSP ROM on it.) BTW zerodium' announcement back in May stating that they wont tak in any more apple flaws because they have plenty isnt reassuring either.