Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't get my ram to run at the speed its meant to run, tried changing in BIOS, but no luck

Any ideas of why?

 

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING

AMD R5 3600

TRIDENT Z 3200MHZ

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

I can't get my ram to run at the speed its meant to run, tried changing in BIOS, but no luck

Any ideas of why?

 

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING

AMD R5 3600

TRIDENT Z 3200MHZ

Have you tried using the DOCP setting in the BIOS? As far as I remember, that is either on the first page of the BIOS or the "AI Tweaker" page.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

 

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

 

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Link to post
Share on other sites

as mentioned, DOCP settings are in the AI Tweaker section of the asus bios which will load the proper ram settings. worst case scenario you can manually input the speed and timings, should be something like 3200mhz 16-18-18-36 1.35v and you can leave the rest on auto timings.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

 

 

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

as mentioned, DOCP settings are in the AI Tweaker section of the asus bios which will load the proper ram settings. worst case scenario you can manually input the speed and timings, should be something like 3200mhz 16-18-18-36 1.35v and you can leave the rest on auto timings.

There's 5 timing settings, do i just edit the last four? Currently on 16:18:18:18:38

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, minibois said:

Have you tried using the DOCP setting in the BIOS? As far as I remember, that is either on the first page of the BIOS or the "AI Tweaker" page.

I had docp on, but still only 2133

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

I had docp on, but still only 2133

Make sure you let the motherboard do its thing after turning on DOCP.

So:

1. Turn on DOCP

2. Save and exit the BIOS

3. don't touch the keyboard, just let the PC do its thing*

4. now it should go into Windows, check  the memory speed again

 

*in step 3, motherboard usually have to turn off/on the PC a couple of times to "train the memory". If you interrupt it in this stage, the memory will go back to the default speed.

Have you tried that yet?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

 

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

 

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't touch any of these settings for now, especially if your RAM sticks are originally rated at 3200 MHz. First, make sure that you have XMP enabled in your BIOS. Then if it doesn't help, make sure you have the latest BIOS flashed on the motherboard, then make you reset the motherboard after flashing the BIOS, and enable XMP again.

 

If none of this works, just check if the model of your RAM is officially supported by your motherboard. If it's not, just return either the RAM or the motherboard. That will solve you the trouble of going through all these manual tweaks and have a more stable system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I wouldn't touch any of these settings for now, especially if your RAM sticks are originally rated at 3200 MHz. First, make sure that you have XMP enabled in your BIOS. Then if it doesn't help, make sure you have the latest BIOS flashed on the motherboard, then make you reset the motherboard after flashing the BIOS, and enable XMP again.

 

If none of this works, just check if the model of your RAM is officially supported by your motherboard. If it's not, just return either the RAM or the motherboard. That will solve you the trouble of going through all these manual tweaks and have a more stable system.

There's no XMP on asus

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

There's no XMP on asus

My bad. They should still try flashing the bios and the other steps though

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

make sure ram is in slots 2 and 4

They are!

 

Thanks though

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×