Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to block IP Address

So I want to block my sister's device's traffic because that causes my pc's internet to crash. How do you do it without using the router and only using built - in programs like windows firewall. (THIS worked with ESET but I had to result on using a firewall that was in my disposal).

12 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

So I want to block my sister's device's traffic because that causes my pc's internet to crash.

Umm, no it's not. That's not how internet access works. This forum is also for helping people, not hurting others.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Umm, no it's not. That's not how internet access works. This forum is also for helping people, not hurting others.

no no its security reasons, basically her application causes my internet to crash but everyone except me in the house can access internet which is weird. 

15 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

So I want to block my sister's device's traffic because that causes my pc's internet to crash. How do you do it without using the router and only using built - in programs like windows firewall. (THIS worked with ESET but I had to result on using a firewall that was in my disposal).

What speeds are you getting from your ISP? if it is bothering you that much, set up QOS and limited the speeds on her device..

CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Neweer NW-700 Mic | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | HP MicroServer G7 NAS |

1 minute ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

no no its security reasons, basically her application causes my internet to crash but everyone except me in the house can access internet which is weird. 

What application are you talking about?

CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Neweer NW-700 Mic | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | HP MicroServer G7 NAS |

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I just wanted to block her inbound and outbound connections or traffic with my pc because the application that she is using for teaching (ClassIn) causes the internet in my pc to go out suddenly 

2 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

no no its security reasons

Its not security reasons because I am sure that your sister is authorized to use your network. If it was your neighbour or something then I could understand.

Quote or at me @Smit Devrukhkar for me to see your replies.

Laptop :

Legion y520

i5 7300hq

1050 4gb oc

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2tb hdd

Server:

Xeon E3 1245

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2*2tb hdd

Just now, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

inbound and outbound connections or traffic with my pc

Her traffic does not effect your pc.

Laptop :

Legion y520

i5 7300hq

1050 4gb oc

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2tb hdd

Server:

Xeon E3 1245

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2*2tb hdd

1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

What application are you talking about?

it's an ESL teaching app called ClassIn, suddenly why that application runs, my PC's internet dies out suddenly and this happened a while ago when I was fixing on why my PC has like scheduled outages of internet and it was her app that was causing it. 

Her app was running in my PC last time before I cleaned uninstall the pc.

1 minute ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Its not security reasons because I am sure that your sister is authorized to use your network. If it was your neighbour or something then I could understand.

It literally cause several outages on my end. Her app was installed in my PC last time then now we have seperate devices now and sometimes it does like I don't know ARP spoof attack me? There were several instances that Xarp detected her IP address sending a lot of request from my pc and thus my internet for some reason...

In a sense, I just don't want her device to send something to my PC. Instances of reports from Xarp said that her IP was actually sending some requests over and over again to my IP address which my brother said that it might be an ARP spoof attack. 

3 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

It literally cause several outages on my end. Her app was installed in my PC last time then now we have seperate devices now and sometimes it does like I don't know ARP spoof attack me? There were several instances that Xarp detected her IP address sending a lot of request from my pc and thus my internet for some reason...

That is impossible on multiple levels.

Either something else is going on or you are misunderstanding the information.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

In a sense, I just don't want her device to send something to my PC. Instances of reports from Xarp said that her IP was actually sending some requests over and over again to my IP address which my brother said that it might be an ARP spoof attack. 

Wait, initially you said her computer was sending information from your IP, now you're saying her computer is sending information to your computer.

Which is it?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

rather than figuring out how to block an ip.

i suggest you find out what's actually causing the outages, so the problem can be fixed rather than creating a new one.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

It literally cause several outages on my end.

That is not a security problem just an inconvenience.

In a sense, I just don't want her device to send something to my PC

The only way that is possible is if the app she installed was malicious. Uninstall the app from you pc.What you are saying makes no sense.

Also this vv

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Wait, initially you said her computer was sending info from your IP, now you're saying her computer is sending information to your computer.

Which is it?

Laptop :

Legion y520

i5 7300hq

1050 4gb oc

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2tb hdd

Server:

Xeon E3 1245

16gb ram

256 gb ssd

2*2tb hdd

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Wait, initially you said her computer was sending info from your IP, now you're saying her computer is sending information to your computer.

Which is it?

ah 

her device is sending requests time to time to my PC, sorry for the misunderstanding.

8 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

ah 

her device is sending requests time to time to my PC, sorry for the misunderstanding.

No worries.

Can you show us screenshots of the app you are using to detect this traffic? PCs on the same network talking to each other is VERY common, there should be no way for her computer to affect the internet connection of your computer at all. Its simply not possible (at least directly, its possible for WiFi interference to occur).

Edit - Unless your using ICS and her PC is feeding yours that is.

A few questions. Are you using a router or just a modem? When your internet drops out what does Settings > Networking show? Do you still have an IP address? Can you still ping the router?

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

No worries.

Can you show us screenshots of the app you are using to detect this traffic? PCs on the same network talking to each other is VERY common, there should be no way for her computer to affect the internet connection of your computer at all. Its simply not possible (at least directly, its possible for WiFi interference to occur).

Edit - Unless your using ICS and her PC is feeding yours that is.

A few questions. Are you using a router or just a modem? When your internet drops out what does Settings > Networking show? Do you still have an IP address? Can you still ping the router?

I forgot to say this but this was last week where every 9am - 12 am (yes, this is true, it's scheduled and also random) internet randomly crashes but it does show it is connected and I'm also using an ethernet connection. When I do use my Wi-Fi dongle on the instances of the suddenly outage is that it does connect directly to the internet without any hassle. I cleaned everything now and it's running fine which was weird. I just wanted to know and also take some precautionary measures as to why that happened. 

As of now, 

I'm currently using Xarp ARP detection set at basic level for detection. Unfortunately I can't give a screenshot for now about that when it detected a request coming from her PC to mine, Xarp isn't detecting anything yet. 

I'm using a TP-Link router, I also changed all the cables and I do still have an IP address when this happened (which was last week, it was very hell because it was very frequent until I just had to clean install the PC) and I can ping my router and network card. 

1 hour ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

I'm currently using Xarp ARP detection set at basic level for detection. Unfortunately I can't give a screenshot for now about that when it detected a request coming from her PC to mine, Xarp isn't detecting anything yet

ARP is one of the basic mechanisms that Ethernet works by. It is NOT in any way or form malicious or anything and there is absolutely zero reason to care about ARP.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Hi I just Want To Know Something About This computers talk to each other all the time but if You Are Saying That she is using your connection to acces the network and the internet wich is possible with windows mobile hostpot and did you check that your ip is not her same ip on your network because that can cause problems and disconnections and potentially cause those kind of problems because creates whats called a ip conflict and if your isp send you a limited amount of static ips then would be that your computer is sharing with the same ip and that actually is something that happened to us and also what are your speeds because you also could have network bottlenecks.

If im wrong correct me I accept suggestions and dont bite we all learn new things everyday and we are humans and we make mistakes.

I Hope everyones ok staying safe and having a great day 

55 minutes ago, Lesantir_12 said:

Hi I just Want To Know Something About This computers talk to each other all the time but if You Are Saying That she is using your connection to acces the network and the internet wich is possible with windows mobile hostpot and did you check that your ip is not her same ip on your network because that can cause problems and disconnections and potentially cause those kind of problems because creates whats called a ip conflict and if your isp send you a limited amount of static ips then would be that your computer is sharing with the same ip and that actually is something that happened to us and also what are your speeds because you also could have network bottlenecks.

If im wrong correct me I accept suggestions and dont bite we all learn new things everyday and we are humans and we make mistakes.

I Hope everyones ok staying safe and having a great day 

That's not how it works. You are getting confused between an external IP address and internal addresses. The purpose of the router is to assign each connected device its own internal IP address using something called DHCP. You can actually have up to 254 devices connected to a single router and the router will seamlessly handle assign each device its own local address, it also handles communication between internal devices.

Here's a very crude network map of how the router works (gotta love MS Paint :D )

Untitled.thumb.png.2ae4399d1073499f14c702718eb58718.png

It is possible to override DHCP internally and manually assign addresses which can cause IP conflicts but assuming you leave DHCP alone there's no reason for conflicts to happen.

This is also the reason why OPs issue cannot have anything to do with his sisters computer, the two devices are connected to the router separately from each other and therefore it is impossible for one to disrupt the others connection. Any communication between the 2 machines has to go through the router first.

35 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That's not how it works. You are getting confused between an external IP address and internal addresses. The purpose of the router is to assign each connected device its own internal IP address using something called DHCP. You can actually have up to 254 devices connected to a single router and the router will seamlessly handle assign each device its own local address, it also handles communication between internal devices.

Here's a very crude network map of how the router works (gotta love MS Paint :D )

Untitled.thumb.png.2ae4399d1073499f14c702718eb58718.png

It is possible to override DHCP internally and manually assign addresses which can cause IP conflicts but assuming you leave DHCP alone there's no reason for conflicts to happen.

This is also the reason why OPs issue cannot have anything to do with his sisters computer, the two devices are connected to the router separately from each other and therefore it is impossible for one to disrupt the others connection. Any communication between the 2 machines has to go through the router first.

thanks for that explanation i really apreciate it and showing us how it works Because sometimes this stuff can get confusing