Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Still looking for a great Samsung phone

I was watching a video about the Samsung A51 and while it seemed good on the surface, apparently the processor, battery, and camera wasn't that great. The Note 9 and 10 are to much for me, but what other top tier phones does Samsung have that's around at least $500 that can have expandable storage, user replaceable battery, great camera, and a nice host of sensors and little side features to it? I feel like trying to find a decent phone for myself hasn't been an easy road. Let me know and thanks in advance! 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus ROG X470-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeances RGB 32GB 3000Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

I was watching a video about the Samsung A51 and while it seemed good on the surface, apparently the processor, battery, and camera wasn't that great. The Note 9 and 10 are to much for me, but what other top tier phones does Samsung have that's around at least $500 that can have expandable storage, user replaceable battery, great camera, and a nice host of sensors and little side features to it? I feel like trying to find a decent phone for myself hasn't been an easy road. Let me know and thanks in advance! 

note 9 used is like $300 lol. so is the oneplus 7 pro. If youre willing togo used there's a lot of good options. And why specifically samsung/

My build:
CPU: 10700k Oc'd to 5.0 ghz                            GPU: RTX 3070 ventus 2x
Motherboard: Asus z490-v                                Cooler: Deepcool castle ex 120mm
Ram: Team tforce delta 32gb 3200mhz cl16     Case: Phanteks p418r (p360a ripoff) 
PSU: Apevia Prestige 800w

Notes:
Spoiler

To me the 10700k seems pretty underrated. It's a very solid cpu. at 5.0ghz it draws 175-185w under full load. the Asus z490-v is a sh*t teir motherboard, I wouldn't recommend it for anything past a 10600k for light oc's only. Tforce ram is pretty but cpu cooler clearance can be an issue on them, so beware. the RTX 3070 is obviously a great card, but the ventus 2x is just horrible. Don't buy it, not now, not ever. It's flimsy af, you can't increase the stock power limit, the cooler is worse than the one on the 3070FE. If it's a choice between this and nothing, choose nothing. The deepcool castle ex 120mm isn't really on sale outside of prebuilts, but it's a nice pretty cooler, gets my 10700k up to 96c after a prime95 cpu test for 15 minutes. The p418r is basically what it looks like. P360a, slap a few cyberpowerpc logos on it, and you're golden. The Apevia Prestige 800w is bad, but not terrible. Runs respectably quiet and isn't a bomb. More than a lot of PSU's in prebuilts can claim.

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

full disclosure:

Spoiler

 

I am a big idiot retard. Don't take my advice super seriously and always double-check what I'm saying. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

note 9 used is like $300 lol. so is the oneplus 7 pro. If youre willing togo used there's a lot of good options. And why specifically samsung/

I am used to the brand and I've just enjoyed the quality of my Note 4 for the last few years so I wanted to stay with a brand I know and trust. How well can you trust used phones though? I've always bought stuff new, never used. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus ROG X470-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeances RGB 32GB 3000Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

I am used to the brand and I've just enjoyed the quality of my Note 4 for the last few years so I wanted to stay with a brand I know and trust. How well can you trust used phones though? I've always bought stuff new, never used. 

I've always bought used phones and never had a problem with them

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

 

AMD blackout rig

 

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Define user replaceable battery? Is it possible? Sure on every phone made. Is it reasonable to do without risking destroying the whole phone with one major mistake? Not really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gundar said:

I've always bought used phones and never had a problem with them

Is Amazon a trusted place to get a used phone? The idea of something being used to me makes me feel like it's not going to be as reliable as new. 

7 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

Define user replaceable battery? Is it possible? Sure on every phone made. Is it reasonable to do without risking destroying the whole phone with one major mistake? Not really.

I mean how, for example, the Note 4 had a battery plate you could remove easily to get to the battery, sim card, and Micro-SD Card.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus ROG X470-F GAMING | Corsair Vengeances RGB 32GB 3000Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Link to post
Share on other sites

Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro

Budget build
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
iGPU: Vega 11
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666mhz dual channel
MB: Gigabyte ga-a320m s2h v2
SSD: Crucial 240GB
PSU: Cheap 500W
Case: Cougar MX330-G

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, _Grid21 said:

...but what other top tier phones does Samsung have that's around at least $500...

S10 Lite and Note 10 Lite are both under $500 in the US.

 

All S10 Lite on the planet are using the SD855 chipset

 

All Note 10 Lite on the planet are using the Exynos 9810 chipset

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

 

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, _Grid21 said:

I mean how, for example, the Note 4 had a battery plate you could remove easily to get to the battery, sim card, and Micro-SD Card.

That just doesn't happen anymore. Everyone is just skipping over this criteria, but no one makes phones like this anymore. They're all bonded aluminum and glass or plastic you have to peel apart carefully with ribbon cables everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2020 at 5:12 AM, _Grid21 said:

I was watching a video about the Samsung A51 and while it seemed good on the surface, apparently the processor, battery, and camera wasn't that great. 

I'm in the market myself. Currently have Galaxy S7 (have for 4.5 years. Might I suggest that you look into the A71? Better camera (read: better processing = better images) and better battery than the A51.

 

Honestly, the only thing holding me back on getting the A71 is the lack of IP68. Hence, now I'm between S20 and S20FE. In Denmark, the FE is the same price as S20, so I guess most would go S20, however, I'm worried about the durability of the curved screen and, as a hobbyist DSLR shooter, I know that the 64 MP and "incredible" telephoto lens of the S20 is nothing to rely on for anything serious. The FE, on the other hand, has a flat screen (more durable and less expensive to replace IF broken) and a, potentially, better 30 MP selfie camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×