New Discussion Board - Audio Visual

EndoliteMatrix

While there is a "other" discussion board, I feel like the AV community, especially the production side could have a bigger voice in this community. Lots of folks in the AV side, albeit with Video Conferencing, Events, Speaker Arrays, SDI, and Live Production could use a larger community to bolster discussion within the field. Just a thought. 

Quote for a reply.

React if I: Answered your question, helped, or made you laugh!

Yeah I could def get behind that - for instance I've been doing a lot of lighting programming (MA2) recently and while there are lots of other forums out there it'd be great if the LTT community could get a section for that, since most of the other forums are pretty poorly laid out and not extremely active.

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

Who do you think would be the best person to reach out to, regarding this?

Quote for a reply.

4 hours ago, EndoliteMatrix said:

Who do you think would be the best person to reach out to, regarding this?

If you look at the previous subforum suggestions, there needs to be demand before section is created. Right now I don't see why these topics couldn't be discussed within Hobby Electronics or Audio sections. We don't add new subforums just because "they would be nice to have".

The reality is that this isn't Reddit. We can't go with any niche sector. There are other forums for that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

There's the Audio forum and Home Theatre Equipment forum. I imagine between those two subforums they would cover many of the AV related topics. Do you have any example of recent threads discussing AV topics that wouldn't fit in to either of those categories?

There really needs to be a strong need for a new forum, and I haven't personally seen enough topics discussing AV that wouldn't already fit in to the aforementioned categories. Adding another forum that is so closely related to those other forums can also cause further issues, like people not knowing where to post or posting the same post multiple times across the different forums. Also if you divide the category too much in to specific sections it can actually end up in those topics getting less views, less comments, and the forum activity on that topic drops as a result.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 10/6/2020 at 5:21 AM, Spotty said:

There's the Audio forum and Home Theatre Equipment forum. I imagine between those two subforums they would cover many of the AV related topics. Do you have any example of recent threads discussing AV topics that wouldn't fit in to either of those categories?

There really needs to be a strong need for a new forum, and I haven't personally seen enough topics discussing AV that wouldn't already fit in to the aforementioned categories. Adding another forum that is so closely related to those other forums can also cause further issues, like people not knowing where to post or posting the same post multiple times across the different forums. Also if you divide the category too much in to specific sections it can actually end up in those topics getting less views, less comments, and the forum activity on that topic drops as a result.

That's a fair point. 

There is a broad spectrum in regards to AV, but I was mainly focused on production. Such as events, television, and general broadcast. Working with video switchers, SDI, NDI, and congolomerated A/V setups that go outside of the consumer space. While it is niche, there is a community for it. To answer your question, no - I haven't personally seen any, but I don't think folks are going to be discussing XLR/SDI runs for most home-theater systems, as they are applicable to larger-scale events. Also, with the pandemic, NDI has seen a rapid uptick, as it is allowing full on production to happen over networks, reducing foot-traffic to sites. As seen with the DNC, and RNC (most notably recently).

Basically, this would be more medium/large scale oriented, rather than towards the consumer space. There are so many groups on facebook, but the layout there is quite frankly awful, and the moderation is sub-par. It would be something I would volunteer for, but I'm sure there is a vetting process. 

Just throwing it out there. 

Thanks for the reply!

Quote for a reply.

On 10/6/2020 at 2:32 AM, LogicalDrm said:

If you look at the previous subforum suggestions, there needs to be demand before section is created. Right now I don't see why these topics couldn't be discussed within Hobby Electronics or Audio sections. We don't add new subforums just because "they would be nice to have".

The reality is that this isn't Reddit. We can't go with any niche sector. There are other forums for that.

No worries at all. I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring up. I also had a more detailed reply above. 

Thanks for getting back to me!

Quote for a reply.

3 minutes ago, EndoliteMatrix said:

No worries at all. I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring up. I also had a more detailed reply above. 

Thanks for getting back to me!

The video production content is best suited in Photography and Videography if you want to test out waters, as in is there others who are into that. From what I've seen on forums, we get maybe couple questions on subject per year.

In the end, this forum consists mainly of LMG fans who might have interests in other parts than just gaming related stuff. Or work for certain field. But we just can't make this the place for professionals to talk. Pretty much all subjects where there would be professionals talking have their own more specialized forums.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

The video production content is best suited in Photography and Videography if you want to test out waters, as in is there others who are into that. From what I've seen on forums, we get maybe couple questions on subject per year.

In the end, this forum consists mainly of LMG fans who might have interests in other parts than just gaming related stuff. Or work for certain field. But we just can't make this the place for professionals to talk. Pretty much all subjects where there would be professionals talking have their own more specialized forums.

100% fair. Thank you for the response. I'll pose the question again if I see increased discussion to possibly warrant it in the future, but thank you for laying it out!

take care,

Quote for a reply.