Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sony WH-1000XM4 producing static noise with noise cancelling on

I recently bought the Sony XM4's on account my upstairs neighbor using his floor as a drum set. Until today, I was quite happy with my purchase as it was cancelling out the constant noise. But suddenly I started facing an issue with it.

Now, whenever I turn noise cancellation on, I hear a static-y, low-frequency, wind-blowing-directly-into-the-ears sort of sound in the right earcup. I tested multiple times to verify that this wasn't being caused by any external source and also made sure to move to different areas in the house to eliminate any stray disturbances. But all that to no avail. Sony's customer care form is bugged and doesn't register the complaint while Amazon's customer care is doing their best to make sure that have "turned it off and on again".

Details about the noise:

• It is being produced by the headphones for sure and it is only limited to the right channel.
  • If I factory reset the device, the noise goes away for a 30 mins or so and then comes back.
  • None of the optimizations or calibrations have any effect.
  • It is ONLY happening when noise cancellation is on. The moment I switch to ambient or default mode, it disappears. Also, while using the ambient control slider in the app, I get the noise only in the noise cancelling and wind noise reduction settings. However, on any setting, if I turn the "Focus on voice" setting on, the noise comes back.
  • When playing music or any other sound, the noise disappears when the low and mid frequencies are played. And it pops-back in as soon as highs come in.

So, I turn to LTT forum to ask for help. Has anyone here faced a similar issue? The internet is pretty empty in terms of troubleshooting as this is a relatively new device. Any help would be appreciated

I have the downgraded model of yours, the WH-1000XM3s and never had any issue like this. Since you tried everything I could think of, the best bet would be to try to return your device or actually send an email or just call sony. Don't contact Amazon. The best option is to always contact the manufacturer.

4 hours ago, Shreyas Tripathy said:

So, I turn to LTT forum to ask for help. Has anyone here faced a similar issue? The internet is pretty empty in terms of troubleshooting as this is a relatively new device. Any help would be appreciated

Am Having this issue with a completely different noise cancelling set of headphones. I would guess it's something related to a bad microphone.

4 hours ago, MrgoldyMusic said:

Don't contact Amazon. The best option is to always contact the manufacturer.

Wrong.

12 hours ago, ShearMe said:

Am Having this issue with a completely different noise cancelling set of headphones. I would guess it's something related to a bad microphone.

If that's the case, it is quite disappointing considering the 350USD price. I have a replacement being sent to me so I'll update the thread after a few days of use

The way noise cancelation works is a microphone on the outside listens to the background noises and plays the opposite in the headphones to cancel the noise out.

Since it only happens in the right ear and with noise cancelling on the Id say its probably a faulty microphone or something in the noise cancelation circuit.

Amazon will honour warranty faults and since you got a model which is only a few months old Id bet my life savings on them being in warranty so just message amazon saying I got a faulty pair of headphones the right ear cup is producing static sounds can I get a replacement. Amazon puts customers first by a mile and will post you a replacement within minuets of your complaint then they will get you to post those headphones back.

Here to educated the audio board on their bad choices.

Hi! I'm having the same issues here. I have the headset for a month, and I started having these scratchy noises in the right ear cup only on noise cancelling modes. Pretty bummed about it...

Somebody made a video with the issue, and there are more people affected by this in the comments section.

I just received my replacement XM4's. It's working fine atm. I'll test them for a week and hopefully won't have the same dumb issue.

Sony definitely needs better quality control if their flagship wireless headphones have such issues

Some people say that this issue appears due to humidity, that's why it can go away at times. For example right now my headset is back to normal...

Very strange as I have the last generation which is a very similar headphone and Ive travelled around the world with them from cold snowy climates to hot Mediterranean and never had a problem like that.

Here to educated the audio board on their bad choices.

Yeah, after scouring the web for answers, I found hundreds of comments and threads saying that humidity leads to this problem. It makes sense in my case as well because the 4th day (the day when I actually started facing this issue) was a pretty hot day.

@Ahoy Hoy I'd say you got lucky because a marquee issue with the XM3's was the cold weather one where the touch controls would register random touches.

3rd day of my replacement XM4's and I am already facing a DIFFERENT issue. The proximity sensor is highly inconsistent. It decides when it wants to work. I take off the headphones and the video/audio keeps playing so I use the keyboard or mouse to pause it. But that's when the headphones suddenly remember what they were supposed to do and unpause the video/audio. This is yet another example of Sony's shoddy work. I had been using JBL audio product for nearly 5 years and have never had any issues. These cost over 3x and have the EXACT same feature set but with additional headache.

I just wish JBL knew how to make good noise cancellation headphones or Bose and Microsoft decided to price their products competitively in India. The Bose QC's cost upwards of $400 while the Surface headphones cost over 560! Weirdly inflated prices has had me stuck with this junk that Sony calls the WH1000XM4 (Great name BTW!). Stay away from Sony headphones, I guess