Crysis 3 can be installed to the RTX3090's VRAM and still run at 4K

Dkylem18

Strife212 has partitioned out about 15GB's of the RTX 3090's VRAM, and installed Crysis 3 to it. The card was still able to run the game at 4K with high settings over 60FPS. The article references an article about already achieving to run Crysis 3 solely on a CPU. Which I thought was a lovely nod to the work LMG does.

Quotes

We’ve seen the original Crysis running entirely on a CPU (with no graphics card needed at all), and here’s another interesting feat along similar (kind of) lines: Crysis 3 running directly from a GPU, having been installed in the card’s memory.

Yes, this is another strange one – and like the aforementioned CPU shenanigans, more of an interesting trick than anything actually useful – but an enterprising software engineer installed Crysis on a GeForce RTX 3090.

My thoughts

This is an awesome example of just how beastly hardware is becoming. Where just a few years ago, even the highest end GPU's could barely run this game, now they're able to run this game with the entire file system loaded to them. I can't wait to see all the new and crazy things this will lead to.

Sources

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-rtx-3090-is-such-a-monster-it-can-have-crysis-3-installed-in-vram-and-run-it-smoothly-at-4k

Well since it's apparently possible to install / run software in VRAM / use it as (temporary) storage...

I'd like to see someone's CrystalDiskMark, ATTO, other disk benchmark utilities results, run in:

• RTX 3090 / RTX A6000 / RTX A40 VRAM
  • Threadripper 3990X / Epyc 7742 CPU cache (would the L1 cache from the 64 cores be pooled together in some form of RAID 0 equivalent?)

1 minute ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I'd like to see someone's CrystalDiskMark, ATTO, other disk benchmark utilities results

There are some for a 2080S here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1254110-run-games-on-vram/

It's not all that impressive, a NVMe SSD is faster.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

It's kind of a cool idea to use the unused vram as virtual memory or a virtual drive but I'm sure the latency would be terrible.

14 minutes ago, steelo said:

It's kind of a cool idea to use the unused vram as virtual memory or a virtual drive but I'm sure the latency would be terrible.

maybe not, with it being vram, its really fast.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I'm surprised that things haven't already evolved to the point were massive amounts of system memory with storage is just cut right into a big cpu and a person would just install games directly to the cpu.

I don't know anything about it but I had an old iPad mini a while back.

I took it apart before I got rid of it just to see what was in it.

I flipped out when I saw how little there really was to it. 😮

It was just the most tiny chips on a board about the size of an extra large stick of gum.

I stored video, music, books, just GBs of stuff on that thing and it looked like it had almost no hardware compared to what I see in my desktop.

Of course I really didn't game on it to speak of in a first person shooter way like I do my desktop but still...

*** Thread locked ***

This has been already twice:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv