The truth Linus

King Joffrey

Well when i hooked up my PC to my amazing plasma in 2011 the burn in was real bad, not taking that gamble again with OLED, besides i sit 3 feet away at my PC station , so anything over 30" is no good. Pc monitors have always been on the bleeding edge and PCs are certainly not dead, # Nvidia So wtf is going on? I could care less for a higher refresh rate, yet thats all we been getting for years, especially if I gotta spend $700+ on a card so it can spit out 200 fps that i can barley notice. Give me HDR and 10 bit color, new panel types. Seems like every stupid " OMG LOOK AT MY 300+ fps youtube video just feeds the wrong tech push. Am I alone in feeling this way? Linus if you read this consider you're not helping by rewarding these huge companies by showing off their 300 fps monitors like its great, no one needs anything over 144 and even so, its too costly for most. We need New and better panels and its not helping when every youtuber throws a tech party video each time a faster monitor comes out.   Make a video about how stagnant the PC monitor market has been since 2016, its frustrating to me and its all a damn shame.

The monitor market is not stagnant at all. Stuff like 144Hz and 1440p is becoming very affordable. Also you don't have to buy these extreme 300+ Hz monitors. The best overall monitors are sitting at 450$ like the LG 27GN850. Idk what your problem is. Now you can buy extremely good 144Hz monitors like the AOC 24G2 for 180$. In 2016 you'd have to pay a fortune for these specs.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

144 and even so, its too costly for most

lol, there are great  1440p 144hz mointore for about 200$. 

Honestly, there are too many panels as it is. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

tired of the same crap, celebration of tech i dont need.

most high end monitors come with too high  fps id care to spend the $$$ for especially on the card end. give us new n better panels

Just now, King Joffrey said:

tired of the same crap, celebration of tech i dont need.

most high end monitors come with too high  fps id care to spend the $$$ for especially on the card end. give us new n better panels

What would you want in a "better" panel compared to what we have with nice IPS panels?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Im sure linus would get it, but there's a fine line when you HAVE to pump out videos for a living. I want him to know how I feel I hope he gets this

I love IPS man!! dont get me wrong but its time for the next best thing since OLED isnt going to work out for US. IPS has been stagnant since 2016

@King Joffrey

tf, they are just options for people who desire for more fps, no need to criticize people for producing content on these things. Plus things are freaking cheap these days, for example a 144z 1080p is only around the high $100, before it would cost a fortune. 

4 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

I love IPS man!! dont get me wrong but its time for the next best thing since OLED isnt going to work out for US. IPS has been stagnant since 2016

the problem is that there are too many pannel types. TN, IPS, planma, oled, mini led, and whatever vudu the pro display xdr is. i never found that out. But you have to admit, the celebration of tech is cool. The new things you can have, even if they are over exaderated in vidoes, is cool.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

You're right, nobody NEEDS a 300+ hz monitor and it's pretty ridiculous to have one these days...but some people enjoy watching 'technology overkill' videos 😃 Maybe someday, 300 hz will be the standard, but I can't see this happening anytime soon. Sadly, the youtube videos featuring these monitors don't serve them justice streaming at 60 fps...LOL

Fine! make that video!!!  not 300+ ips/ va panels that no one cares for, its a minute amount of people that have the $ to throw down on the hardware on top of the monitor price, not many care for 300 FPS.

People don't know what's good for them either, often. Be it 144Hz or a decent PSU.

I edit my posts more often than not

6 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

People don't know what's good for them either, often. Be it 144Hz or a decent PSU.

LOL...I was thrilled to buy a 75 hz monitor...I've never had any issues gaming on a 60/75hz monitor. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between either one but I'm not hardcore competitive in games.

once you get over 90 fps you minus well stop paying for unnoticed frames.  144fps is splurge, and sure go for it! but thats where it should end.  I dont  want a 200 fps monitor Ill take deeper blacks though, HDR for starters and yea the next best thing after IPS  its been so longgggggg   I mean your moms I Phone has better colors then your PC however You can get a better refresh rate!  WTF ????   

11 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

once you get over 90 fps you minus well stop paying for unnoticed frames.  144fps is splurge, and sure go for it! but thats where it should end.  I dont  want a 200 fps monitor Ill take deeper blacks though, HDR for starters and yea the next best thing after IPS  its been so longgggggg   I mean your moms I Phone has better colors then your PC however You can get a better refresh rate!  WTF ????   

People don't need 400 horsepower sports cars either 😉

6 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

Fine! make that video!!!  not 300+ ips/ va panels that no one cares for, its a minute amount of people that have the $ to throw down on the hardware on top of the monitor price, not many care for 300 FPS.

They've made plenty of videos about quality panels with great colour accuracy, 10bit colour and so on, you just seem to be looking at the one video they made about the one 360hz monitor and nothing else. I don't get what the whinings for. If you don't like it, don't buy it and move on. And there are people out there who care about those panels, especially those in the competitive scene where a slight advantage over the opponent can make a huge difference in the long run.

1 minute ago, King Joffrey said:

I mean your moms I Phone has better colors then your PC however

Right, because the washed out IPS panels are amazing in a thousand dollar device, when phones near half the price have better oled screens.

I knew Id meet FANBOYS here, opps opposition, Like I said, Im sure Linus could read this shit, and make good sense of it, hes a tech lover like me yet hes conservative and im sure he disagrees on paying 800 for and Nvidea card to make your 4k 300 fps monitors run when it looks similar to the 2k 90 FPS ips panel.  Im asking, WHEN IS THE REAL NEW MONITOR TECH COMMING? its been since 2016, I and most other gamers just dont need more FPS its a shame PC monitors looks worse then new I phones, or TVS for that matter.

Well currently 1440p and 144Hz is the best and cheap middle ground. 4K is still hard to drive for most and 240Hz is great, but many don't need or will benefit from it.

There is OLED but really limited in monitor space with most content tends to be static and burn in and all that. There are some very big monitors that are 4K 144Hz OLED HDR. If you have money and see it worth it. Really only to wait for MicroLED monitors at this point as alternative. Or get one of those giant OLED monitors or TVs and there you go.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I think Micro LED might be it however, its just another thing that never arrives.  Id love to know what the hurdles of this tech really are, kinda like a light at the end of a tunnel.

No matter how happy you are with the state  of things right now , IPS had its hay day years ago, OLED is not making it to PC for obious reasons so WTF are we doing for the market???  500 FPS??????     zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  Maybe linus gets a stiffy not me.

Live on the Fanboy.  

I was watching the streamer Shroud the other day and he was getting ribbed by his chat because he still uses a 1080p monitor but with 240hz.

His reasoning is, as a former CS:GO pro, and someone who plays twitch shooters and the like, the higher fps is crucial and the lower resolution is what most CS players use as it has an advantage over 1440/4k.

I suspect the average gamer doesn't need 144hz/240hz, but it has become an arms race where people think they have to have it even if they can't run games that take advantage of it.

I halfway agree with you, even if you are being a bit of a sensationalist. 🙃 You're right, there is more that goes into a display than just refresh rate, a LOT more. My initial impression is like you were asking the equivalent for MIT researchers to... research faster, papa needs new pixels.

I've owned the same 120hz for 10 years, and I bet loads of other people have had monitors for even longer. My brother bought a 240hz adaptive sync monitor that when he toggles between 144/240hz I'll be honest, I was hard pressed to notice much difference. Then he switched on ULMB and it was night-and-day to me.

This might be right up your alley. TLDR: 1000hz is still beneficial but we're probably gonna have to generate fake frames (like VR does) to get there.
https://blurbusters.com/blur-busters-law-amazing-journey-to-future-1000hz-displays-with-blurfree-sample-and-hold/

A 1080p glossy screen is clearer than a matte 4k screen

No where near as sensational as anyone on the YOUTUBE channel.  Maybe Linus should make a video sending these screens back to the manufacturer with a note saying its no longer 2016, send some new tech.  Even if it would just be for laughs.  Thanks all for joining,  Id bet king Geek had read this by now, he is after all the KING GEEK OF YOUTUBE.

AFAIK the problem with mini and micro LED are the yields. They're so low that any monitor released with them will be far to expensive for most people. It takes time for the yields to get better. Expect years.

I have no signature

There are new screen technologies being developed, but the problem is they're not yet to the point of working well for monitors.  Hopefully we'll see them in the future.

OLED can get burn-in from the static images on PCs (like the task bar at the bottom of the screen), so it's not practical for most PC use at this point.

Micro-LED is more promising for use in monitors, but it's not small enough yet.  They can't currently get the pixels to a workable size for a reasonable cost.

Advanced full array backlighting is starting to work its way in with monitors like the Apple 6K, so this is the one I'd expect to start seeing in more affordable monitors.

If Hisense can perfect their dual LCD tech where one controls lighting and the other controls color, then that could also bring a huge change in quality to LCD monitors if they start making monitor size panels.

Aside from a few like Samsung and LG, most monitor manufacturers don't make their own panels, so they're limited to what they can get from the actual screen manufacturers.  Since that's the case, all they can do is try to improve on the tech made available to them.  If the only new consumer grade tech is a monitor that can hit 300FPS, what else can Linus review?