nvme vs sata boot drive questions/ fast mass storage

MBNeon

I'm a pretty big noob here so I'm sure its answered somewhere but idk I'm looking to build my first system and wanted to know if there was a substacal difference in theses two options and I've hear different thing previously about these two and i 'd like to know the concessive on it as well would it be best/more cost effective to get a larger nvme or sata drive add a partion for the boot sector and extra high spaeed mass storage or would it be better to split it up i.e 120nvme just for booting 1Tsata for comonly used apps and a large/raid HDD for everthing else?

For normal use there is no noticeable difference between a SATA SSD and an NVME SSD (assuming neither is a DRAM-less model). You can watch the below video to see Linus and co perform a blind test on things like gaming and basic video editing.

The reason is that the big difference in numbers is the sequential speed and you rarely hit those speeds for long unless you are copying very large files (from equally fast drives) or are doing a task like video export on a very high bitrate (4k/8k) video file. For random access speed, which is what most things really need, both types of SSD are much faster than a harddrive (easily 50x faster) but only slightly different from each other even before you get into CPU bottlenecks.

For the other part of your question it depends on how much you want to spend. An ideal solution for a reasonable budget is a 250GB or 500GB SATA SSD along with a 1TB or 2TB harddrive. A 120GB SSD setup is really only if you have almost no money to spend as this will be enough for Windows and some applications but too tight if you want to have 1 or 2 games that run noticeably better off SSD (open world games that load things on demand or multiplayer games where you want to load maps fast)