Whaler's GPU Folder Build Log - Folding3

That is pretty sweet, also looking at one of the projects credits at 16,000 is that a big project?

Nope - that is a what my 3770 at CPU:7 is able to pull down. With the new Beta core, the GPU's are hitting the CPU a lot less it looks like, which in turn allows the CPU to fold faster, so more bonus points.

As for "big project" - I assume you are referring to bigadv projects? These are only available to Linux based Folders with more then 16 cores...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Very well written build log. I laughed at the way you worded your GPU mishaps :)

Thanks! :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Nope - that is a what my 3770 at CPU:7 is able to pull down. With the new Beta core, the GPU's are hitting the CPU a lot less it looks like, which in turn allows the CPU to fold faster, so more bonus points.

So how much PPD is the 3770 getting?

So how much PPD is the 3770 getting?

Just over 10K PPD now.. used to be around 8K - one of the drawbacks of 4 GPU's in a box...

Just over 10K PPD now.. used to be around 8K - one of the drawbacks of 4 GPU's in a box...

So potentially the PPD can be higher?

So potentially the PPD can be higher?

Potentially? :) Yes, it is there - if only Folding CPU on all 8 cores and no GPU folding...

<sigh>

Well, this may actually come closer to my original goal. Remember initially I mentioned one of the pcie-e x1 slots is blocked by my 660, but could be used if I had a single slot card? Well, I had already sold my 640 and honestly, those don't produce a lot. So I wasn't going to buy another one of those...

Well, last night, I found a in-stock reference XFX 7750, single slot. :D  And with how PPD are doing, this is a perfect time to buy. I also add a very cheap 7770 to run as the fifth card. Not sure if I will run that or the 660. But, will become a 5 card folder. :)

The remaining card will go in the system I use to donate PPD to the weekly winner of my competition...

Ahhh... the possibilities....   ^_^

<sigh>

Well, this may actually come closer to my original goal. Remember initially I mentioned one of the pcie-e x1 slots is blocked by my 660, but could be used if I had a single slot card? Well, I had already sold my 640 and honestly, those don't produce a lot. So I wasn't going to buy another one of those...

Well, last night, I found a in-stock reference XFX 7750, single slot. :D  And with how PPD are doing, this is a perfect time to buy. I also add a very cheap 7770 to run as the fifth card. Not sure if I will run that or the 660. But, will become a 5 card folder. :)

The remaining card will go in the system I use to donate PPD to the weekly winner of my competition...

Ahhh... the possibilities....   ^_^

Sounds great, i would like to expand on my GPUs but the power bill came and it is ugly(parents not happy) :/

Under clocking your GPU's a bit can definately help with lowering power usage....

Under clocking your GPU's a bit can definately help with lowering power usage....

And it helps with temps to a 10% underclock  lowered my gts 250 by 15 degrees.

I don't feel comfortable with that but i'll leave it as it is since this is done for science :D

• 2 months later...

OVERVIEW

So… I wasn’t planning a second GPU folder, having just finished getting my second 4P rig up and running, but, I had the spare parts and some credit available at NCIX, so figured, why not. J

Parts List

Case – Cooler Master HAF XB

Motherboard – MSI-Z77A-G455

CPU – Intel 3570k

Cooler – stock cooler

RAM – 1x2GB of generic 1600

Hard Drive – Seagate 7200RPM, 160GB SATA

Fans – 2x140mm front intake, 1x120mm rear exhaust

PSU – Corsair CX750M

GPU1 – NVidia GTX 560

GPU2 – NVidia GTX 460

Another day, another Folder…

You can see I keep many of the same parts on this build as I did in the previous – worked well. Again, I really like working with the HAF XB. Great case and I can stack them as well. Note as securely as my cases from @Spotswood, but it works. J

Starting with just the two GPU’s I have – ended up having to use two other recently due to upgrades for other systems in the house… but will keep an eye out for sales and such and expand and upgrade both units as I can…

Sorry for the delay... here they are...

This is basically GPU Folder 2 in a test setup, everything open and hanging. Not recommended unless you really know what you are doing. :)

post-765-0-80899700-1375575074_thumb.jpg

Shot of GPU Folder 1 - cardboard on the front allows all the front intake air to vent over the GPU's while hot air can easily escape...

post-765-0-25444600-1375575174_thumb.jpg

Closer shot of GPU Folder 1.

post-765-0-53099400-1375575091_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of the "backplane" for the two hotswap hard drives. This is my second HAF XB and this is obviously a ver2 as you can see some changes. Notice the wonderful blob of silicone there. Not sure if it is an insulator, actually holding it there or what? Regardless, pretty shoddy in my opinion for an otherwise great case...

post-765-0-18247100-1375575104_thumb.jpg

And here is a shot I got of my original - say ver1. Notice the orientation of the modex and SATA connectors? This was a real pain to get in but still, ver2 leaves something to be desired. And getting the SATA plugs in on ver2 was no easier...

post-765-0-08590500-1375575129_thumb.jpg

Shot of the front panel. As detailed originally, if running 140mm fans, you couldn't put the front panel back on because of a ridge of plastic. On the ver2 case, it is gone and the front fits perfect with 140mm.

post-765-0-85348100-1375575121_thumb.jpg

Front panel shot from ver1 - you can notice the ridge of plastic...

post-765-0-55531500-1375575112_thumb.jpg

Assembled unit of GPU Folder 2. (no, they are not meant to be pretty. They are meant to fold! :) )

post-765-0-42531600-1375575141_thumb.jpg

And finally, #1 and #2 all stacked up together...

post-765-0-23182000-1375575145_thumb.jpg

I will also be doing a "review" on the HAF XB - will be cover some of what this build covers - but I did find some issues and differences between the ver1 and ver2 cases I want to make sure everyone is aware of...

Has a very home made feel, I like it :)

Also the CPU cooler sticker is orientated the wrong way round :wacko:

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Man I would love to make a Dual Xeon 2687W folding server with 2 7990 cards. That would be so beast. I think it would get about 400k ppd. Imagine 10 of them in a 42u rack. Next Level Folding/Cost/Heat/Noise :)

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Man I would love to make a Dual Xeon 2687W folding server with 2 7990 cards. That would be so beast. I think it would get about 400k ppd. Imagine 10 of them in a 42u rack. Next Level Folding/Cost/Heat/Noise :)

Sounds pretty cool but it looks like it'll cost a cent or two :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Sounds pretty cool but it looks like it'll cost a cent or two :)

Ye something like 7000 to $8000 dollars a piece. I would do it if I could.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Why does @Whaler_99 put so much time, money and effort into folding? It's not like he's going to get anything out of it. Or is it because he has a relative with a disease that he wants to help with the curing effort research stuff? I'm not bashing, I just don't really see the point. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Folding is actually pretty fun if number crunching performance of CPUs/GPUs gets your juices flowing. Also like any other thing....there are leader boards and rankings. Out folding someone literally means you "out beasted" in terms of computational power. Be it folding farms or insane multi chip/multi gpu builds. So all this AND for a good cause?

Nerd heaven really. I plan to get back into it some time next year when I am done with school.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Pick your poison.... You cannot really combine I high CPU count system yet with beast GPU. For SMP folding, Ubuntu and Linux rule. Yes, you can fold CPU:24 in Windows, but you don't get access to bigadv projects, so you get a lot less points. Hence, why I have my Ubuntu folders and my GPU folders...

Why does @Whaler_99 put so much time, money and effort into folding? It's not like he's going to get anything out of it. Or is it because he has a relative with a disease that he wants to help with the curing effort research stuff? I'm not bashing, I just don't really see the point. 

For the sheer fun of it. I have a lot of spare gear and this is fun for me. Pure and simple. A hobby and that I can also help out a lot of other folks to get into this as well. I enjoy the competition aspect of this. 

For the sheer fun of it. I have a lot of spare gear and this is fun for me. Pure and simple. A hobby and that I can also help out a lot of other folks to get into this as well. I enjoy the competition aspect of this. 

Ooooh, okay. Thanks for replying and not ripping into me :P

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Ooooh, okay. Thanks for replying and not ripping into me :P

Lol - it's ok to wonder and ask questions. :)

Pick your poison.... You cannot really combine I high CPU count system yet with beast GPU. For SMP folding, Ubuntu and Linux rule. Yes, you can fold CPU:24 in Windows, but you don't get access to bigadv projects, so you get a lot less points. Hence, why I have my Ubuntu folders and my GPU folders...

why would it not work then. Would it be better with 1 Xeon 2687 and the 2 7990.