Are Aios that bad?

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

They have their place. 

120mm AIOs are almost always objectively worse than a similarly priced air cooler. The only time they're worth considering is in very small form factor PCs where a decently sized air cooler isn't viable. 

240mm AIOs are generally on par or a little worse than the big air coolers like the Noctua NH D15 or bequiet! Dark Rock Pro. They'll be louder and more points of failure, which is why a lot of people tend to advise against them. 

280mm+ AIOs will generally match or outperform even the big air coolers, though they have the same issues of noise and points of failure compared to air coolers. 

Leaking is pretty rare and not really a concern. The most common reason for a leak is going to be damage in shipping or user damage via incorrect installation. I've actually never heard of an AIO leaking on its own from any forum members in the 7 years I've been on the forum. Pump failure is a thing though, at which point the AIO will need replacing. Air coolers more or less cannot fail on their own, you may just need to replace a fan if it fails, which is also true for AIOs. 

Looks is something to consider too. If you don't really care about looks (or like how big air coolers look) then there's not really any reason to get an AIO. If you really like how an AIO looks, it's up to you if the trade offs are worth it. 

When i watch any tech youtuber they say that aios are bad and they can leak etc etc.. should i get aio or air

1 minute ago, pcbuildinnoobie said:

When i watch any tech youtuber they say that aios are bad and they can leak etc etc.. should i get aio or air

AIO's virtually never leak, who is saying they do?

What is your setup, CPU,GPU, monitor, use case? What CPU do you have, what temps is it running at, are you overclocking? All important details for us to provide the best help :)

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

They have their place. 

120mm AIOs are almost always objectively worse than a similarly priced air cooler. The only time they're worth considering is in very small form factor PCs where a decently sized air cooler isn't viable. 

240mm AIOs are generally on par or a little worse than the big air coolers like the Noctua NH D15 or bequiet! Dark Rock Pro. They'll be louder and more points of failure, which is why a lot of people tend to advise against them. 

280mm+ AIOs will generally match or outperform even the big air coolers, though they have the same issues of noise and points of failure compared to air coolers. 

Leaking is pretty rare and not really a concern. The most common reason for a leak is going to be damage in shipping or user damage via incorrect installation. I've actually never heard of an AIO leaking on its own from any forum members in the 7 years I've been on the forum. Pump failure is a thing though, at which point the AIO will need replacing. Air coolers more or less cannot fail on their own, you may just need to replace a fan if it fails, which is also true for AIOs. 

Looks is something to consider too. If you don't really care about looks (or like how big air coolers look) then there's not really any reason to get an AIO. If you really like how an AIO looks, it's up to you if the trade offs are worth it. 

They can leak, but it rarely happens. If you can't afford to take risks, dont consider AIOs.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

The main thing these tech youtubers point to is that there are more things that can go wrong with an aio.

ie. pump failure, leak, evaporation of the fluid overtime.

But that's not something that happens often, but it does happen.

I bought a Swiftech aio 5 years ago because it can be refilled and expanded. And because it has a better pump (or so I'm told, it was my first build)

And I have only refilled it in January of this year.

If you have the budget and the space in your case there's nothing wrong with getting an aio. Although, if your case doesn't have a window or if your pc isn't a "showcase pc" you're probably better off getting a big air cooler.

But if you're concerned about reliability, just get an aircooler.

Just don't get a 120mm aio, they're pointless in my opinion.

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

23 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

AIO's virtually never leak, who is saying they do?

What is your setup, CPU,GPU, monitor, use case? What CPU do you have, what temps is it running at, are you overclocking? All important details for us to provide the best help :)

Sorry man i dont have my pc yet thats why i ask

Theres nothing wrong with aio's, on average they're more expensive than air coolers though which is where the debate comes in. 

Personally I like them because it means there isnt a giant hunk of metal hanging off my motherboard, water blocks are usually quite attractive to look at, the Z73 I use even allows for gifs to play on it

On 10/3/2020 at 11:27 AM, pcbuildinnoobie said:

AIO coolers are not bad by any means, and make up the majority of our CPU cooling line currently.  Is there a potential for a leak?  Yes, but it is extremely rare in comparison to how many units are manufactured and sold.  All of our coolers come with a 5-Year warranty, and should a leak occur, we have policies in place to take care of the customer.  Let me know if you have any questions about a specific model.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

36 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

AIO coolers are not bad by any means, and make up the majority of our CPU cooling line currently.  Is there a potential for a leak?  Yes, but it is extremely rare in comparison to how many units are manufactured and sold.  All of our coolers come with a 5-Year warranty, and should a leak occur, we have policies in place to take care of the customer.  Let me know if you have any questions about a specific model.

Wow. i didnt know you made air coolers anymore.

I jut checked PcPartPicker, and there is like 3 Corsair air coolers.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Yup, we had about a 12 year gap where we didn't make them, but we're back at it.  We currently have the one model, CORSAIR A500, which launched at CES earlier this year.  It's compatible with all the latest sockets except TR4 and sTRX4.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/