Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Designer makes over $99,000 from iPhone icons in a week

A designer has made more than $99,000 or £77,000 for making icons for iPhones in one week.

Traf, the creator, created these icons after seeing multiple images of customised iPhones due to the iOS 14 update. 

The icons were boosted in popularity by famous tech youtuber Marques Brownlee (commonly known as MKBHD) linked them in the description of one of his videos. 

He sold the icons for $28 or £22. 

users describing it as "clean", "slick" and a "dream aesthetic". 

My thoughts are that if someone popular notices your product and mentions it, it could become a wild sucess.

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54387339

That is alot more than I was expecting.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Laptop :

Legion y520 | i5 7300hq | 1050 4gb (Manual OC) | 16gb 2400Mhz cl18 | 256 GB SSD | 2tb HDD

Server:

Xeon E3 1245 | 16gb ECC ram | 256 GB SSD | 2*2tb HDD

Oh boy, wait for Apple to create themes support. They don't even make their own, they'll just collect the % from all the ones users will sell on App Store... Also icons for 28 GBP ?! I know one can appreciate nice deisgns, but that's a bit much for bunch of icons. Well, depends on how extensive the library of icons is when you buy them. If it's ALL icons for everything even somewhat relevant, then ok. If it's just few icons for only the most popular stuff, then no.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

Damn, get that money, playboy! BRB... let me go load up MS paint. WTF

LEONIDAS

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | GPU: MSI Ventus OC 2X 3060 Ti 8GB | Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM: Geil Evo 3600mhz 16GB

Hard Drives: WD SN550 NVME 1TB, 860 Evo 500GB | Case: be Quiet Silent Base 802| PSU: Corsair RM 750 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Monitors: Acer Nitro IPS 170HzAcer KG240 TN 144Hz 

9 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Oh boy, wait for Apple to create themes support. They don't even make their own, they'll just collect the % from all the ones users will sell on App Store... Also icons for 28 GBP ?! I know one can appreciate nice deisgns, but that's a bit much for bunch of icons. Well, depends on how extensive the library of icons is when you buy them. If it's ALL icons for everything even somewhat relevant, then ok. If it's just few icons for only the most popular stuff, then no.

Major brands have been selling iMessage Sticker packs for like $5 a pop.

£28 for an icon pack for phone consumers is dumb. But for non-phone users that sounds about right.

Edit: Yes, the icon pack isn't just a few icons. The website says it's 120.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Major brands have been selling iMessage Sticker packs for like $5 a pop.

£28 for an icon pack for phone consumers is dumb. But for non-phone users that sounds about right.

Edit: Yes, the icon pack isn't just a few icons. The website says it's 120.

10€ sounds about right for 120 icons, assuming they are good quality.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

My thought is this is just a one-off success and he should take the money and run.

and Apple fanboys keep saying they don't want customisation on their already perfectly crafted iPhone by Apple  with their vast infinite vision on how your home screen should always look like 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Just for Apple noobs. Meanwhile I use custom icon packs, blacked out and no font. You know free. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

and Apple fanboys keep saying they don't want customisation on their already perfectly crafted iPhone by Apple  with their vast infinite vision on how your home screen should always look like 

I frankly don't. I mean, I personally don't need it, but if it was option, why not. I've had Androids with bunch of this stuff and in the end I always just ended up using stock coz I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

Aww the wittle apple fanbois can play with icon packs now. I'm sure they'll get bored of it in a couple years like anyone sane using Android did.

Coming Soon: MOAR COARS: 5GHz Confirmed Black Edition™ The Build

This might be an unpopular opinion - but I'm happy for him! Freelance work is tough enough as it is.

$28 for 120 icons doesn't seem dumb to me either. That's literally less than 25 USD cents per icon! That's DIRT cheap in the digital design space.

My knowledge is limited to Fiverr and Twitch (so someone correct me if I'm wrong), but emotes and icons generally start at $5 per and that's on the lower side. This guy is actually selling them at a decent price. They look good, too!

1 hour ago, ONOTech said:

This might be an unpopular opinion - but I'm happy for him! Freelance work is tough enough as it is.

28 pounds for 120 icons doesn't seem dumb to me either. That's literally 30 USD cents per icon! That's DIRT cheap in the digital design space.

My knowledge is limited to Fiverr and Twitch (so someone correct me if I'm wrong), but emotes and icons generally start at $5 per and that's on the lower side. This guy is actually selling them at a decent price. They look good, too!

I am happy for him also. If people find value in his work and they pay what he wants then what's not to like.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

Apple totally gonna come out with a icon theme and watch face store so they can get their 30% off those purchases as well.

Personally I've never cared for icon themes on my phone, even on android. They look neat, but going through the effort or money in this case for something you spend little time looking at on your phone seems silly. 90% of my use time on my phone is in an app.

i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Good thing all of the Apps that I currently use on my Android are also free to download on iOS so the switch over to the iPhone 12 mini and the Apple Watch SE is just a matter of buying the Hardware itself. My mentality which is to never either spend in game or real World currency on any Cosmetic items in games also applies here. 

Make sure to Quote or mention me @soldier_ph if you want me to see your reply or Content such as Status Updates, Threads, Album entries or Blog Posts.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section.

Where I was Mentioned: 

Mentioned in 5.8.2020 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8.8.2020 Techlinked

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's actually $28 or £22. The typical iPhone users doesn't have a problem spending money on extras of this kind.

11 hours ago, TheAverageGamer said:

A designer has made more than $99,000 or £77,000 for making icons for iPhones in one week.

Traf, the creator, created these icons after seeing multiple images of customised iPhones due to the iOS 14 update. 

The icons were boosted in popularity by famous tech youtuber Marques Brownlee (commonly known as MKBHD) linked them in the description of one of his videos. 

He sold the icons for $28 or £22. 

My thoughts are that if someone popular notices your product and mentions it, it could become a wild sucess.

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54387339

As the old saying goes “advertising works”

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, RejZoR said:

You'd be surprised how hard is it to properly create consistent and visual appealing icons.

15 hours ago, TheAverageGamer said:

He sold the icons for $28

$28 for an icon

well it's for an iphone so fanboys will say it's really cheap

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

$28 for an icon

well it's for an iphone so fanboys will say it's really cheap

Icons. Plural.

8 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

It's actually $28 or £22. The typical iPhone users doesn't have a problem spending money on extras of this kind.

Keep in mind I think this is a jailbreak icon set, so the icons have to be there for every app the user has - it’s not like a global theme, but on a per-icon replacement.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Keep in mind I think this is a jailbreak icon set, so the icons have to be there for every app the user has - it’s not like a global theme, but on a per-icon replacement.

I'm not sure what you mean but it is a pack with multiple icons. It's not like you have to spend money for each icon.

22 hours ago, ONOTech said:

28 pounds for 120 icons doesn't seem dumb to me either. That's literally 30 USD cents per icon! That's DIRT cheap in the digital design space.

While I do think that people should get paid for their work I also think that you have to realize what people are willing to spend. If it works for them that's great but I would never spend that much for someone thing like that. Its completely different for people who are buying emotes for their stream as that can increase your subscription numbers so it is a business expense really. Honestly most of this type of work is business related. Also with twitch emotes they get paid once while this they get paid for everyone who buys it so it's completely different. Even if they sold 150 emotes for 100 a each to one streamer vs selling this package at 5 dollars they would probably make more if they got more than 3000 people to buy their icon package and if it is that good and is priced at 5 dollars I would think they would have many more customers. Granted its their product and they can sell it however they want but I for one wouldn't pay that much for that. 

Good for him.

Smart move, generally speaking those who buy those ridiculously expensive iphones obviously dont think to hard about what they spend their money on, so its a prime market. He happened to find a way to work it and got a boost from a relatively popular 'influencer'.

£77k is a good chunk of change to pay of part of a mortgage.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |