If Chrome became a $5/month subscription, would you pay for it?

pythonmegapixel

Vote only if you use Chrome on a regular basis.  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a subscription for Chrome?

• Yes
    • No, I would switch to Safari (Mac) / Edge (Windows)
    • No, I would switch to Firefox
    • No, I would switch to something different

I know this would never happen, I'm just curious...

This question is mainly addressed at people who are already Chrome users. It also assumes that the Chromium rendering engine remains open source so other Chromium browsers still exist.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Subscriptions for the sake of subscriptions will drive people away from the browser; they'll need to offer something/things in return.

Knowing Google, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned it into something like YouTube where a free version gets a lot of ads, while a premium version doesn't.

I've moved off of chrome for at least a year now. Firefox is so nice

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I use chrome and firefox (one as a regular, the other for a private/anonymous browser). I would either switch to chromium or fully to firefox. 

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

3 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Subscriptions for the sake of subscriptions will drive people away from the browser; they'll need to offer something/things in return.

Knowing Google, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned it into something like YouTube where a free version gets a lot of ads, while a premium version doesn't.

Didn't they deliberately destroy the performance of YouTube on both FireFox and Microsoft Edge at one point? Something about them using very outdated APIs that caused stuff like recommendations and comments to take forever to load compared to Chrome. Funny enough around that time they had little banners advertising Google Chrome for users accessing the website via other browsers.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Didn't they deliberately destroy the performance of YouTube on both FireFox and Microsoft Edge at one point? Something about them using very outdated APIs that caused stuff like recommendations and comments to take forever to load compared to Chrome. Funny enough around that time they had little banners advertising Google Chrome for users accessing the website via other browsers.  

I know about the banners, especially on Google's search engine, but I don't remember the nerfed performance. Must've been using chrome at that time. 

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It also assumes that the Chromium rendering engine remains open source so other Chromium browsers still exist.

The Chromium browser would still exist then, which would be my choice

🙂

35 minutes ago, James Evens said:

@BlueChinchillaEatingDorito Don't quote me on that but they placed useless code/script in there to circumvent edge optimisation/make it slow.

Wouldn't surprise me. Honestly YouTube was the only website that ran like crap on the old Edge for me. It felt un-naturally slow. And CPU utilization would be high even on the YouTube Home page 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I know this would never happen, I'm just curious...

This question is mainly addressed at people who are already Chrome users. It also assumes that the Chromium rendering engine remains open source so other Chromium browsers still exist.

If Chrome decided to charge money, what would happen is people would just compile Chromium and release it without the google bits. Eg Microsoft, Opera.

A better question would be "What would get you to stop using Chrome in favor of (Firefox, Edge/Safari)" and to that answer, if Firefox made WASM click-to-run or disabled by default, I'd stop using Chrome in favor of Firefox. However that isn't going to happen as both Chrome and Firefox made a big stink about supporting it, and it's only getting used for malicious uses.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/half-of-the-websites-using-webassembly-use-it-for-malicious-purposes/

If it continues on this trajectory, you'll start seeing proprietary WASM blobs being required to use websites instead of Javascript, because some crackpot programmer insisted on programming the UI in Rust and transpiling it to WASM.

$5 no ads?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

already using firefox, been using it for years and I still love it.  I have like 50 tabs open and it's using under 750 mb of memory ... If they ever made the browser I use paying then I would just switch to a free one until there's no more free ones left to switch to.  Then I might resolve myself to learn how to code to make myself a web browser ... ;)

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

This is a really smart question, got me thinking a whole lot about how and why I use chrome, what the others offer and how deeply I am invested.

It would be a lot of work to unlink my workflows from Chrome so I would have to pay the subscription for a while, so I could see how to extract all my other Google related stuff and recreate workflows with another browser.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

23 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I've moved off of chrome for at least a year now. Firefox is so nice

I use both Vivaldi and Firefox. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I don't even use chrome, so no.

They would need to offer very damn compelling reason for a subscription plan like that. Like...what's in it for me, what do they offer over the free competition that would justify the cost.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

There's a reason why Opera dropped the "pay for the full browser!" model in 2005.

Nobody wants to pay for a browser.

I already use opera gx, but I couldn’t imagine paying for something that sells all my data.

(yes I do know opera probably sells my data too, but I’m not paying for it)

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I started using Edge on all my devices about a month and a half ago. 

I think it’s fine, nothing too special about it, and I’ve never had problems reading websites, so I’m happy. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Hmm can’t pick I don’t use it now option, but no I would not use it for free nor would I pay to use it.

Every browser is pretty much the same, Idk why someone would bother installing chrome? Chrome and Edge are now based on the same thing.

7 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Chrome and Edge are now based on the same thing.

man i have been out of the loop! Where can i learn more?

I’d been a FireFox lifer on my home PCs since 2009. On iPhone, I use Safari. It’s pretty much only the work PCs that I use Chrome. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…