Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is my GPU dead? Crashes with any use, no BSOD or log.

I can't use my GPU at all. It passes video through to my monitor, but the moment I turn on a game (not necessarily in the start menu but the moment the actual game starts) or start Unreal Engine 4, my PC restarts with no BSOD or crash log, but with an Event 41 with no bugcheckcode. I'm pulling my hair out. I've tried everything. I'm pretty sure my PC doesn't have malware. My CPU has survived every stress test I've done so far, my RAM tests have been successful, I've tried plugging it into different ports, temps are healthy, the PC is pristine without a particle of dust, everything is plugged in properly, I've taken the entire system apart multiple times, and I've completely wiped and reinstalled the GPU drivers several times as well. Nothing shows any indication of a problem except for one thing. Furmark. The moment I click start test on Furmark, the PC crashes and restarts. Within three seconds it's already back on the login screen. 

 

I noticed the problem while using UE4 or gaming. It would occur after 15-20 minutes of doing either of those things initially. But then it started happening sooner and sooner and now it crashes the moment I start UE4 or a game. Although, I tested Minecraft because it was the only not graphically demanding game on my PC and that ran fine. 

 

I took the graphics card out and sure enough, no crashes. Put it back, crashing again.

 

It seems pretty obvious, but the reason I'm asking is this is the only symptom I've seen. No graphical glitches, not a single one since I got this card in 2016, no other indications of a problem, no loud noises, fans are fine, etc. It seems weird to me that it would go from working perfectly to literally being unable to function at all without a single step in between. Thanks in advance.

 

System:

 

  • CPU
    Intel Core i7 6700K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z170A SLI Plus
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 48GB 2133 MHz
  • GPU
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
  • PSU
    Seasonic M12II EVO 80 PLUS® Bronze 650W
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reseat ALL of the power connectors on the motherboard including the fans on the motherboard headers and video card.

 

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! -

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Reseat ALL of the power connectors on the motherboard including the fans on the motherboard headers and video card.

 

Thanks, I did as you suggested. My first Furmark test after I reseated everything failed as normal, but the second time it actually worked. The test started to run and the temps were good. I let it run for a few minutes before closing it and trying to open UE4 again. The moment UE4 opened, the PC rebooted. Since then, I'm back at square one. Furmark, UE4, and games are not working.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fXjZL5 said:

Thanks, I did as you suggested. My first Furmark test after I reseated everything failed as normal, but the second time it actually worked. The test started to run and the temps were good. I let it run for a few minutes before closing it and trying to open UE4 again. The moment UE4 opened, the PC rebooted. Since then, I'm back at square one. Furmark, UE4, and games are not working.

OK, worth a shot, pretty straight forward and simple, just wanted to be sure everything had good connection.

Quote

 

RAM

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 48GB 2133 MHz

 

Can you tell me how this is configured? How many sticks and sizes ect?

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! -

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Can you tell me how this is configured? How many sticks and sizes ect?

It's not configured the most elegant way. A bit after the sporadic crashes first started, I upgraded the memory. I was running 16 GB at 2133 MHz (2 x 8 GB) since I built the thing in 2016, but I got 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) 3600 MHz like two weeks ago. All from G.Skill. Obviously, I'm not getting the 3600 MHz, but I didn't think that would be much of a problem since I could just upgrade the two 8s to 16s and get 64 GB 3600 MHz in the near future.

 

When it got to the point where I'm at now where I can't even launch a game without the PC rebooting, I tried running it with just the new 32 GB 3600 MHz without the two 8s to see if the problem was caused by using two different kinds of memory together, but it still crashed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fXjZL5 said:

It's not configured the most elegant way. A bit after the sporadic crashes first started, I upgraded the memory. I was running 16 GB at 2133 MHz (2 x 8 GB) since I built the thing in 2016, but I got 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) 3600 MHz. All from G.Skill. Obviously, I'm not getting the 3600 MHz, but I didn't think that would be much of a problem since I could just upgrade the two 8s to 16s and get 64 GB 3600 MHz in the near future.

 

When it got to the point where I'm at now where I can't even launch a game without the PC rebooting, I tried running it with just the new 32 GB 3600 MHz without the two 8s to see if the problem was caused by using two different kinds of memory together, but it still crashed.

OK with the just only 32GB stick installed, you where running with XMP/DOCP enabled or was this at stock? 

You really should go back to the 32GB configuration. With the system off after you pull the other 16gb, clear the cmos, the try at stock.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! -

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OK with the just only 32GB stick installed, you where running with XMP/DOCP enabled or was this at stock? 

You really should go back to the 32GB configuration. With the system off after you pull the other 16gb, clear the cmos, the try at stock.

I had XMP enabled. Now that you mention it, I never actually tested it with the 32 GB at stock. I'll try it right now and see if that works. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fXjZL5 said:

I had XMP enabled. Now that you mention it, I never actually tested it with the 32 GB at stock. I'll try it right now and see if that works. 

Good Luck!

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! -

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Good Luck!

Yooo, I did it and Furmark is currently running. No crash! Temps are normal. It might still crash though, it's not been as long as I ran it for last time. Do you suggest I let the test until the end or close it and try running a game or UE4?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fXjZL5 said:

Yooo, I did it and Furmark is currently running. No crash! Temps are normal. It might still crash though, it's not been as long as I ran it for last time. Do you suggest I let the test until the end or close it and try running a game or UE4?

Go play the game.

Don't use Furmark. That damn stress test kills GPUs.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! -

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Go play the game.

Don't use Furmark. That damn stress test kills GPUs.

Dang, no luck, dude. I closed Furmark and started up UE4 and yep, reboot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fXjZL5 said:

Dang, no luck, dude. I closed Furmark and started up UE4 and yep, reboot.

wow. That's... runs furmark but restarts with UE4..... 

 

Quote

Event 41

 

This concerns a restart due to a power failure.

 

So then I question only 2 last things. Mainboard and Power Supply.  It'll be easier to test with a different PSU.

 

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! -

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

wow. That's... runs furmark but restarts with UE4..... 

 

 

This concerns a restart due to a power failure.

 

So then I question only 2 last things. Mainboard and Power Supply.  It'll be easier to test with a different PSU.

 

Yeah, this situation is a complete mess. I ordered a PSU from Corsair (didn't have a spare lying around). When I get it I'll try using the system with that and see if it fixes the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 1:22 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

wow. That's... runs furmark but restarts with UE4..... 

 

 

This concerns a restart due to a power failure.

 

So then I question only 2 last things. Mainboard and Power Supply.  It'll be easier to test with a different PSU.

 

The new PSU fixed it. Thanks a lot for your help, dude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fXjZL5 said:

The new PSU fixed it. Thanks a lot for your help, dude.

Any time. Glad it's fixed! :)

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! -

- Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below.

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×