Steering wheel + driving simulation game recommendations

LTTmodssuckdick

Hi,

I am learning to drive in my country and want to supplement my driving lessons by learning to steer properly at home, with driving lessons being banned by the government at the moment. What is a good steering wheel for my purpose? It needs to feel like a real steering wheel with force needed to turn it, just like a real car steering wheel, and pedals that feels like the real deal. I’m looking at a price range up to $100 if a decent steering wheel + pedals can be found. In terms of a simulation game, is City Car Driving Simulator good enough? I am looking for a game that will really force me to turn the steering wheel properly hand over hand, not like an arcade gaming station in an arcade, and that punishes mistakes realistically. I have a GTX 1660Ti so a VR game would be good too. 

Wow this is perfect as I was about to purchase this. If you have an oculus headset you can get DiRt Rally on the oculus store, it's basically just like a rally car racing simulator. It honestly looks amazing and probably wouldn't be that hard to run on a 1660. Then you can get any steering wheel on amazon, I recommend buying from Logitech though because they have the best rep.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qJB4Xv

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($394.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($869.99 @ Staples) 
Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Asus 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($229.64) 
Total: $2338.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-08 10:04 EST-0500

You wont get a steering wheel and pedalbox for 100$ that will feel like the real deal. You would need a direct drive wheel for that. And most sims, while being realistic, are for racing, not noodling around town.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

36 minutes ago, linusrules1911 said:

I’m looking at a price range up to $100

No. Not happening.

I did a similar thing, though I spent something like ~$600 on a wheel + pedals + shifter. Outside the general movements of shifting, it's a terrible method to try and actually learn to drive a car. At least a manual car. There is basically zero realistic clutch feel or simulation in pretty much every sim game. Project Cars 2 and BeamNG.Drive are the most realistic for clutch, but without clutch feel it's a pretty moot point. You can't really do a smooth city driving start in any of these games, it almost always results in a stall. In a number of cases the sim doesn't even actually stall and the RPM just drops to zero.

I legitimately learned bad driving/shifting habits from getting a wheel first like slamming gears into place and dropping the clutch. Very rough shifting and it took a few months to learn it proper. After you know how to actually drive a car the sim can start to complement it. It's also harder to know the limits of the car since you have limited vision and can't freely look around.

If you intend on driving an automatic (and they let you test with one) it's laughably easy. Best I can recommend is finding out what the driving test requires and go down with a parent or someone to an empty park or parking lot with plastic trash cans for obstacles. Hell, do the same with a manual if that's required.

#Muricaparrotgang

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

as someone who's had a license for 2 years,

no it doesn't assist in any way.

i tried my cousins super expensive sim racing rig, and i wasn't much better than before i had a license

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

16 hours ago, flashiling said:

as someone who's had a license for 2 years,

no it doesn't assist in any way.

i tried my cousins super expensive sim racing rig, and i wasn't much better than before i had a license

It takes getting used to.

#Muricaparrotgang

I’ve thought about this again and now I think that I don’t need it to be like the real deal, just reasonably realistic. Does anyone know of a reasonably good steering wheel and pedals for cheap in Australia? I’ve decided on which driving sim I’m going to use – City Car Driving. In the real world I am learning to drive an automatic as 90% of the cars in Australia are automatic. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/2/2020 at 9:02 AM, JZStudios said:

No. Not happening.

I did a similar thing, though I spent something like ~$600 on a wheel + pedals + shifter. Outside the general movements of shifting, it's a terrible method to try and actually learn to drive a car. At least a manual car. There is basically zero realistic clutch feel or simulation in pretty much every sim game. Project Cars 2 and BeamNG.Drive are the most realistic for clutch, but without clutch feel it's a pretty moot point. You can't really do a smooth city driving start in any of these games, it almost always results in a stall. In a number of cases the sim doesn't even actually stall and the RPM just drops to zero.

I legitimately learned bad driving/shifting habits from getting a wheel first like slamming gears into place and dropping the clutch. Very rough shifting and it took a few months to learn it proper. After you know how to actually drive a car the sim can start to complement it. It's also harder to know the limits of the car since you have limited vision and can't freely look around.

If you intend on driving an automatic (and they let you test with one) it's laughably easy. Best I can recommend is finding out what the driving test requires and go down with a parent or someone to an empty park or parking lot with plastic trash cans for obstacles. Hell, do the same with a manual if that's required.

this is where you're wrong my man. i got my g27 with its shifter at 79$ and not a single issue there and its working perfectly fine :)