Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wifi 6 / Bluetooth 5.0 Question

Hello,

 

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading online to learn about PC building, but there doesn't seem to be as much information about wifi/bluetooth connectivity. 

 

As far as I know, if a motherboard doesn't have wifi, it also won't have bluetooth, so I'm planning on buying a wireless network adapter. 

 

As for my question, will an older generation motherboard work with the wifi 6 and bluetooth 5.0 standard. I'm planning on getting the ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard. Just mentioning that in case it's motherboard specific.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EGomz3 said:

As for my question, will an older generation motherboard work with the wifi 6 and bluetooth 5.0 standard.

Yes it will work, the motherboard doesn’t affect that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay cool. I actually have one more question regarding bluetooth usb adapters. Would there be any benefit to using bluetooth on a wifi pci-e card vs a usb bluetooth adapter?

 

Too be more specific, will there be any noticable latency if I use a cheaper usb bluetooth adapter vs the pci-e card?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, EGomz3 said:

Okay cool. I actually have one more question regarding bluetooth usb adapters. Would there be any benefit to using bluetooth on a wifi pci-e card vs a usb bluetooth adapter?

 

Too be more specific, will there be any noticable latency if I use a cheaper usb bluetooth adapter vs the pci-e card?

The cheaper USB Bluetooth adapter will not be as great as a PCI. I purchased one a few months ago and I could not use it with the windows settings bluetooth menu.

 

I would go with the PCIe card

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CloudPC said:

The cheaper USB Bluetooth adapter will not be as great as a PCI. I purchased one a few months ago and I could not use it with the windows settings bluetooth menu.

 

I would go with the PCIe card

Funnily enough, even  the PCIe cards Bluetooth is USB.  The big difference is that the WiFi 6 is likely an Intel card so using a better chipset.  The range is also vastly superior as it will use one of the WiFi antennas vs the tiny trace of the PCB on USB adapters and potentially much cheaper unreliable chipsets on the plug-in USB adapters.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×