Overkill PSU for low noise under load

Go to solution Solved by The_russian,

I was in almost the same exact situation, I had an old Corsair TX750 and man that thing was loud. I ended up replacing it with a 1000W EVGA psu for the reason you mentioned, I have not heard my psu since. If you want a silent system that’s the way I would go.

Hello all

Is it correctly understood that if my system draws around 650w and I have a 1200w PSU, the PSU fan might not even start spinning or if it does, it's very low in RPM which means low to no noise under load? 

Awkwardly enough, I just found out my blowerstyle GPU isn't only what causes my PC to be so loud under load, it's also my old Corsair HX750w from 2013. 
Soon I will get my RTX 3000 series ROG STRIX and I'm aiming for undervolting to have a very low noise level while gaming (I like to use speakers, so no headset)
but I also want my PSU to be quiet. I don't care about efficiency - if it has to draw 300w instead of 250w, that's fine, but
If I got myself the HX1200i PSU for my system that would draw around 650w under load when getting the new GPU, would that mean almost silent to maybe fully silent? 

Thanks 🙂

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I was in almost the same exact situation, I had an old Corsair TX750 and man that thing was loud. I ended up replacing it with a 1000W EVGA psu for the reason you mentioned, I have not heard my psu since. If you want a silent system that’s the way I would go.

Just now, The_russian said:

Thank you so much The_russian

This was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for - someone that has been in the same situation. 

I will order the 1200i asap. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

3 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

This was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for - someone that has been in the same situation. 

Additionally, for longevity reasons (which I suspect you fall into because you've had your current PSU for 7 years), you generally want to keep your PSU loading at 60% or below. A PSU will last basically for ever with that level of utilization.

Low stress means low noise, better stability, and longer life. A larger than necessary power supply is a good deal all around if you can afford one.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

5 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Thank you so much The_russian

I will order the 1200i asap. 

dark power 11/ straight power 11 are more quiter than the 1200i.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

The fan ramps according to temperature, not load percentage, so getting a PSU with a good quality fan is what you want instead of going all out on the wattage, just to get a Seasonic unit with some crappy Hong Hua fan.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Thanks all for your comments. 

I prefer to use a retailer available in Denmark, Norway and Sweden and they only mostly had the 1200i (1000 watt + models). I read the 1200i still was very quiet and good, so I'm okay with that. Worst case scenario, I can always send it back withi 60 days. 

Mateyyy, I did look for Seasonic - but only 500/600w models were available. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

44 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Mateyyy

you forgot to quote him, if  you wanted a response he might not have seen your comment.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, flashiling said:

you forgot to quote him, if  you wanted a response he might not have seen your comment.

Ah true, thank you. I don't really need a response though, since Seasonic isn't available. 

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

5 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Hello all

Is it correctly understood that if my system draws around 650w and I have a 1200w PSU, the PSU fan might not even start spinning or if it does, it's very low in RPM which means low to no noise under load? 

That depends on the PSU. Some PSUs can get louder if you were to get a higher wattage unit, because they will generate more heat at full load, requiring a more powerful fan, and thus have a higher startup voltage where the fan will spin up at a higher RPM at low loads. A good example of this is the EVGA Supernova 550 G3 and 850 G3. Interestingly enough, going with a higher wattage unit didn't change when the PSU was in passive mode (fanless) @ 30C but when it spun up, the 550w unit not only stayed ~10dBA quieter, it was quieter at almost its ENTIRE load range than the 850w.

If low noise is a priority, then it would be in your best interest to look for PSUs with a high quality, quiet fan and a relax fan profile in the first place. Also, while getting a higher wattage unit may cause the passive mode threshold to extend to a higher load, be wary of having your load at that threshold where it switches to active mode. Either have it stay off or stay on - not on/off several times in a single gaming session. Having it turn on and off intermittently can be distracting, as well as can causing unnecessary wear on certain bearings and may decrease it lifespan. During the initial startup, a FDB will have the most stress, as it needs to spin up and circulate the oil, where the oil pressure is build up to stabilized the bearing and have it spin freely.

1 hour ago, quan289 said:

That depends on the PSU. Some PSUs can get louder if you were to get a higher wattage unit, because they will generate more heat at full load, requiring a more powerful fan, and thus have a higher startup voltage where the fan will spin up at a higher RPM at low loads. A good example of this is the EVGA Supernova 550 G3 and 850 G3. Interestingly enough, going with a higher wattage unit didn't change when the PSU was in passive mode (fanless) @ 30C but when it spun up, the 550w unit not only stayed ~10dBA quieter, it was quieter at almost its ENTIRE load range than the 850w.

If low noise is a priority, then it would be in your best interest to look for PSUs with a high quality, quiet fan and a relax fan profile in the first place. Also, while getting a higher wattage unit may cause the passive mode threshold to extend to a higher load, be wary of having your load at that threshold where it switches to active mode. Either have it stay off or stay on - not on/off several times in a single gaming session. Having it turn on and off intermittently can be distracting, as well as can causing unnecessary wear on certain bearings and may decrease it lifespan. During the initial startup, a FDB will have the most stress, as it needs to spin up and circulate the oil, where the oil pressure is build up to stabilized the bearing and have it spin freely.

Thank you! Very good and detailed information.

I have ordered the 1200i. But I will certainly remember what you have explained. If anything seems off with my new PSU when I get it, I will look for another one. I can return it within 60 days.

Thanks again 😊

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

3 hours ago, none77 said:

I don't get why under 370W in the 750 and 600W in the 1200 the color is not red, the fan not spin.

The OP has the old (2013) HX 750, semi modular Gold Rated vers.

Not the Current newer HX 750 Full Modular Platinum and Multi Rail vers that Cybernetics has in the database.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.